Gear Position Indicator

Guest BigWilly

Guest PastorGumby

I never really know what gear I'm in on the VFR.... I've bought from HealTech before- a decent product! I had a gear indicator & Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator on my Suzuki M50 - gave it more torquey-ness :wheel: (if that's a word). I have the same gear indicator, and i'm going to install it soon on my VFR.

• Member Contributer

I found the schematics/instructions for one that was developed for an RC51 initially, then adapted to the ST and the VFR. I am thinking of trying it out, looks like a fun build.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/43866-my-home-built-rc51-gear-position-indicator-includes-plans-1.html

The designer - P.D. Fruth - is a legend. He's the guy who designed the exhaust servo eliminator circuit for the CBR1000RR that I purchased from him earlier this year. His work is sublime!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I currently have the Acumen GPI installed. It's great and sunlight readable but it is quite laggy - takes a while for it to display the gear. Anyone have the luxury of a direct comparison between the Acumen GPI and the new GIPRO DS version GPI? Is the new GIPRO DS really that much faster?

• Member Contributer

i have the GIPRO from healtech as well. It has very LITTLE if any lag and works great..And you can have it inline with the Speedo Healer.

• 2 months later...
Guest PastorGumby

+1 on the GI Pro Healtech - I had it installed by my mechanic. There is a slight lag... it's noticeable to me, but I really like having it.

A distant shot:

• Member Contributer

I found the schematics/instructions for one that was developed for an RC51 initially, then adapted to the ST and the VFR. I am thinking of trying it out, looks like a fun build.

http://www.speedzill...es-plans-1.html

Since you're good with electronics, you ought to build 'em and sell 'em here.

On another note, do you still have 6th gen. HID kits available?

• 2 years later...

I have just installed a "cheapie" chinese gear indicator on my Gen 3. The only problem I have is that when I stop and shift to neutral it displays 2. This is because the earth supplied by my neutral switch is not zero ohms as it has deteriorated over time and is now about 3 ohms. If I use a good earth it does switch to zero. This seems to be a common problem with older bikes. However this only affects the display when I stop, and I can fit a new neutral switch and solve this minor problem if I want to.

I have used it for a couple of days and done about 3 hours of urban riding with lots of gear changes and it has worked perfectly. I have mounted it at the top right of my instrument panel where it is easily seen.

Its nice to know that the right gear is selected when you change down for a corner for example. The gear display is a nice clean blue, and not as seen in this photograph which is overexposed.

post-16849-0-99103400-1407017184.jpg

Edited by mobikie