Gear Position Indicator

Guest BigWilly

Guest BigWilly

I would like to install a gear position indicator on my 2002. Any suggestions on which indicator to get? Good price, easy installation.

Willy

I have a Veypor VR2 that I bought from member Hobie here on the forum.

Among many other functions, it will tell you what gear you are in. I never use it (but it's not for sale.) It is basically an on-board dyno. You program it with total weight and tire circumference, among other things and it uses tire revolutions and accelerometers to give you just about any kind of performance figure you want.

As for "What gear am I in?", it is easier just to keep count in your head.

Edited by Lee 2002

I've got one that I'm less than impressed with, its very hard to set up properly which I am still yet to do, because programming it is a pain, cant recall the name of it right now but can dig it up if you want to know...

The ones that do work which I am waiting on delivery of is by Acumen, called the DG8, search on fleabay for one. They have a plug and play harness for the Vtec. I've bought it from an OzVFR member, I dont need the extra harness for my '99 so that bit will be going on fleabay...

I found the schematics/instructions for one that was developed for an RC51 initially, then adapted to the ST and the VFR. I am thinking of trying it out, looks like a fun build.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/43866-my-home-built-rc51-gear-position-indicator-includes-plans-1.html

Just for the h-ll of it..... for the peps that might be interested............ I have a formula.....At 4 grand..... what ever your speed is, use the 1st # of the speed, and that is what gear you're in........... At 5 grand whatever the speed is subtract 1 off the speed(1st#)...... 6 grand subtract 2 off........This is with the stock gearing(gen 6)

Why?

If you don't have the revs/mph/wind speed memorized already, just shift down for more revs, up for less.

For me it would be "because I can". I can't even see the tach anymore, due to the GPS/audio stuff blocking the way. I hardly need it, I can feel what the revs are. It would be a good reminded that there isn't a 7th gear of course...

• Member Contributer

I solved the 7th gear issue by using the tach readings. But a gear indicator would still be a "nice-to-have" item.

• Member Contributer

Why?

If you don't have the revs/mph/wind speed memorized already, just shift down for more revs, up for less.

Took the words right out of my mouth. A VFR is an easy bike to tell which gear it's in.

A Gear Position Indicator is handy if you use your VFR on the track. I had a really hard time remembering which gear I should be in for which turns (Cal Speedway has 21 turns!). Being in the right gear could mean the difference between a good lap and a bad one. I have one on my GSX-R but can't remember which brand. It was plug and play which was nice. When I get home I will post the manufacturer.

Roger

Why?

Took the words right out of my mouth. A VFR is an easy bike to tell which gear it's in.

The only one that I'm concerned with is slowing down to make a tight corner, wanting to be in 2nd, and finding out I'm already in it, and shifting into 1st when I don't want to. The rest of the time I just keep the rpm's somewhere between 5, & 8K.... But I can keep it out of 1st by checking my rpm's, but for that type of turn, it's usually a "quick" 1,2, downshift with butt heads on my tail(yes I signal way in advance).

SEB.... Looks like my Quotes didn't work this time.......

• Member Contributer

The downshift to first (when wanting second) in corners is the exact reason I ordered one. (well that and my search for the fabled 7th gear from time to time...... some day i will find this mythical gear:-)

The other reason was because I was ordering a speedo healer and figured this was going to mess up my RPM / speed / gear formula (same one mentioned above)

As soon as I get the speedohealer & gear indicator installed I will let everyone know how it goes. I ordered the GIPro DS gear indicator.

Edited by Terminex

• Member Contributer

I guess we're all different but I always know what gear I'm in because I can't afford a mistake the way I take corners... :ph34r:

Guest Pete McCrary

I've tried a few of them and haven't been impressed with any of them. They seem to have too much lag between gear changes and the light change.

On the first Suzuki 4 cylinder 4 stroke bikes (GS550, GS750, GS850, GS1000) they had a digital gear indicator that worked great. It had a brass plug in the end of the gear selector drum. On the outside of the engine casing right in front of the counter shaft sprocket was a contact module with either 5 or 6 connections depending on which model it was. You didn't even have to crank the bike up. You could turn on the switch, and rock the bike back and forth and change the gears. It was all electrical and didn't depend on wheel speed, tachometer speed or any other BS.

I've never figured out why more manufacturers don't put them on bikes.

• Member Contributer

I'm not so much concerned with accidental 1st gear downshifts, but I'd love it if more bikes came equipped with a high gear indicator like on some of the touring bikes. This keeps you from looking stupid while searching for 7th gear smile.gif It's not a big problem, but coming from a 5spd to a 6spd I sometimes double downshift to pass and then only upshift once forgetting that I can shift up again. It's all part of learning the bike really and it's not an issue 99.99% of the time.

George

• Member Contributer
I've tried a few of them and haven't been impressed with any of them. They seem to have too much lag between gear changes and the light change.

On the first Suzuki 4 cylinder 4 stroke bikes (GS550, GS750, GS850, GS1000) they had a digital gear indicator that worked great. It had a brass plug in the end of the gear selector drum. On the outside of the engine casing right in front of the counter shaft sprocket was a contact module with either 5 or 6 connections depending on which model it was. You didn't even have to crank the bike up. You could turn on the switch, and rock the bike back and forth and change the gears. It was all electrical and didn't depend on wheel speed, tachometer speed or any other BS.

I've never figured out why more manufacturers don't put them on bikes.

They are still on there, but only tell us when the bike is in neutral! :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
I solved the 7th gear issue by using the tach readings. But a gear indicator would still be a "nice-to-have" item.

Too bad we just didn't have a 7th gear :biggrin: a slab only gear, for those runs to and from the twisties, easy way to up the mileage

• Member Contributer

Too bad we just didn't have a 7th gear :rolleyes: a slab only gear, for those runs to and from the twisties, easy way to up the mileage

I didn't know people used 6th gear..... :ph34r: :laugh: :ph34r:

Guest Nungboy

I agree that I SHOULD know what gear I am in and I too have my little memory devices for remembering BUT when one has more than one bike it can be a bit confusing especially in the heat of the moment. Additionally, my Triumph has a gear indicator and I find that I do like it. So, I'd like one for the viffer too. As well, I like adding something that lights up the cluster a bit more!

Is it essential? No. But lots of things aren't essential (and we still get 'em!)

• Member Contributer

Healtech (Speedohealer) makes one. Their website says that since it gets info directly from ECU that it's faster than others.

www.healtech-electronics.com

• Member Contributer
Healtech (Speedohealer) makes one. Their website says that since it gets info directly from ECU that it's faster than others.

I have the Healtech GIpro and love it. Very easy to install and configure and no lag at all. Pricy, but worth it if your always looking for that missing 7th gear like I was :fing02: It's a much samller form factor and it has the wire coming out of the bottom of the unit vs the back. Makes for MUCH eaiser mounting. It's also 100% waterproof. I rode 300 miles with heavy rain for the whole trip. No problems at all.

They don't list on for the 02, maybe drop them a line and see if they support it.

• 1 year later...

I have the Healtech GIpro and love it. Very easy to install and configure and no lag at all. Pricy, but worth it if your always looking for that missing 7th gear like I was :happy: It's a much samller form factor and it has the wire coming out of the bottom of the unit vs the back. Makes for MUCH eaiser mounting. It's also 100% waterproof. I rode 300 miles with heavy rain for the whole trip. No problems at all.

They don't list on for the 02, maybe drop them a line and see if they support it.

Has anyone installed the GIpro on a 5th GEN bike? Please chime in.