Pcv With Autotune 3000 Mile Report

coderighter

• Member Contributer

gallery_15527_4758_193416.jpg

Top of the world

So a number of you asked for me to report how the PCV with Autotune performed on my trip over the last couple weeks. Well my trip took me from Seattle to Glacier National Park across the top of Montana on my way to Minot ND. After visiting friends for a couple days, I went south to Bismarck ND to visit mom for a couple days. Than I headed back west, by way of Bear Tooth Pass, to Yellowstone National Park. My path then lead north to Helena MT then around to Missoula and back to Seattle via I-94.

I went from sea level to 10,947 and rode in temps from 42 to 92 degrees. The speed limit on most of the roads in Montana and North Dakota were posted 75 mph, which means I was doing 80 most of the time. I'm 6'4", 245lbs and carrying about 30lbs in a tail bag and saddlebags. I normally run 15-43 spockets but I put the 16 back on for the trip. I averaged just a hair over 40 MPG for the trip, which felt was pretty good. The bike ran great the whole time no matter the temp or attitude, very smooth, no surging or snatching. I also found I can cruise through neighborhoods 3-4K now, no problem. I believe that not only is the Autotune helpful, but having separate tables in the PCV for each gear, makes a big difference . I did, however, find a "issue"

The Autotune keeps trying to tune the VTEC transition. Hitting the proper mixture doesn't make for the smoothest transition. I found this was easy fix, if set the AFR table for 6500 to zero, the PCV ignores the sensor and goes by what you set in the table at that RPM. The only problem is that it's taking a little time to get all 60 cells set, (10 throttle positions for 6 gears) but I'm almost there.

All-in-all, I feel it was money well spent, best upgrade I've done. Did I gain a bunch of power? Well... no, but the bike is so much smoother and enjoyable to ride.

Thanks for the report, I was wondering how it went.

From what you have said, are we to assume that if you have a PC3 and a good map and the bike runs well, there's not much to be gained from a PCV?

Nice looking setup there too, by the way. You obviously have some beautiful touring country.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the report, I was wondering how it went.

From what you have said, are we to assume that if you have a PC3 and a good map and the bike runs well, there's not much to be gained from a PCV?

Nice looking setup there too, by the way. You obviously have some beautiful touring country.

Well, I think there are 2 main differences between the PCIII and PCV. The PCV gives you the option of the Autotune and most important it gives you seperate map for each gear. In watching the AFR while changing gears, it's obvious that the the stock fuel injection changes with gear. Setting up a PCIII map is going to be a compromise, depending on gear.

Keep in mind, my VFR is a '06. Starting in '06 Honda changed the fuel mapping, alot. If you compare a "stock" PCIII map for an '05 to a "stock" PCIII map for an '06 you'll find the '06 adds alot more fuel. In watching the AFR readings, it starts really leaning out once you hit cruise in 4th gear, which makes sense in looking at the PCIII map. I have no way of proving this, but I believe the gear dependent fuel injection started in '06. If someone has a '02-'05 and access to an AFR meter, I'd be interested in knowing for sure.

I think if you have a '02-'05 with a PCIII and it's running good for you, a PCV is not going to improve anything.

Also keep in mind, the PCV costs the same (or at least really close) as the PCIII. You can use in the PCV in the single map, no Autotune, just like the PCIII but still have the options open for later. If you have a 6th gen without a Power Commander and want one, by all means, get the PCV instead of the PCIII.

The picture is the top of Bear Tooth Pass - 10,947 ft. It's the road between Red lodge MT and the East entrance to Yellowstone. I'll post more pictures in my gallery later. Outstanding ride, Highly recommended!