Just Installed Power Commander 5 On My '06!

coderighter

• Member Contributer
Thanks.

Does the wideband oxygen sensor replace one of the OEM oxygen sensors?

Yes.

They don't give you alot of extra wire, so I used the one closest to the outside and capped off the other one. The PCV comes with the eliminators to cap off the stock wire connectors and fool the ECU into thinking all is well.

• Member Contributer

Wasn't there a lower RPM limit to where the Power Commander would not function? I seem to remember mention of the unit not being effective below 4,500 RPM or some such number. Does this newest unit act the same way?

Wasn't there a lower RPM limit to where the Power Commander would not function? I seem to remember mention of the unit not being effective below 4,500 RPM or some such number. Does this newest unit act the same way?

No, every PC I've looked at(III-up) lets you control settings from idle to redline at 250 rpm increments and from zero to 100% throttle openings in 10% increments, sounds like the PCV adds a 15% throttle setting in addition. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Coderighter,

Power Commander and More Power only list a PC3 for 02-06 VFRs.Did you have some inside info from them or took a chance that a PC5 would work on your 06?

You're right, Dynojet doesn't make or support the PCV for any bike built before '09. We know that the VFR hasn't been changed since '02. We know there are 2 model numbers of PCIII listed for 6th gen one for '02-'05 (#111-411) and one for '06 to '08 (#126-411). Those parts number are the same hardware, the only difference is the preloaded map. The "411" is the hardware and the or 3 digit number is the "stock" map for that model. I ran a '02-'05 unit on my '06 for a year with no problem. If you look, most Honda's use the same hardware, just different maps, example, the '06 CBR600 is #117-411. Guess what? If someone is having a sell on '06 CBR600 PCIII you can get it change the map, and you're good to go.

Has anyone actually installed a non specific vfr power commander ***-411 and does it actually work?

Coderighter,

Power Commander and More Power only list a PC3 for 02-06 VFRs.Did you have some inside info from them or took a chance that a PC5 would work on your 06?

You're right, Dynojet doesn't make or support the PCV for any bike built before '09. We know that the VFR hasn't been changed since '02. We know there are 2 model numbers of PCIII listed for 6th gen one for '02-'05 (#111-411) and one for '06 to '08 (#126-411). Those parts number are the same hardware, the only difference is the preloaded map. The "411" is the hardware and the or 3 digit number is the "stock" map for that model. I ran a '02-'05 unit on my '06 for a year with no problem. If you look, most Honda's use the same hardware, just different maps, example, the '06 CBR600 is #117-411. Guess what? If someone is having a sell on '06 CBR600 PCIII you can get it change the map, and you're good to go.

Has anyone actually installed a non specific vfr power commander ***-411 and does it actually work?

I think what was found is that non-VFR PC's might have different plugs on them and won't work. If they did have the same plugs than yes they should work no matter what their off of.

Any PC for a 2002-2009 will work on any 6th gen VFR with the proper map installed! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Coderighter,

No, it does not always work. The info I got from a Dynojet tech rep was bad. I edited my post to remove that statement but it is still in qouted replies that I can not edit.

Sorry.

• Member Contributer
Coderighter,

No, it does not always work. The info I got from a Dynojet tech rep was bad. I edited my post to remove that statement but it is still in qouted replies that I can not edit.

Sorry.

Thanks for the quick response!

I believe this clears my mind up on this subject......and the Dynojet rep I talked to verified a power commander specified for a VFR was needed.

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer
Do any of the PC's give you the ability to control the ignition timing on a VFR?

There are a few other posts on this as well, but only the old PCII's allow you to adjust ignition timing. They intercept the signal before the it gets to the ECU, and so it can tell the computer that the timing is mentally challenged, and the computer will advance it. PCIII and PCV's intercept the signal coming from the ECU to the fuel injectors control module (or something like that).

A few users have done this, none have reported huge power gains, but as far as I know, no one has dyno'ed before and after to find out. Also, you'd need to use higher octane gas. This is another mod that would only help when WOT in the upper RPM range.

Edited by Ryanme17
  • Like 1

Do any of the PC's give you the ability to control the ignition timing on a VFR?

There are a few other posts on this as well, but only the old PCII's allow you to adjust ignition timing. They intercept the signal before the it gets to the ECU, and so it can tell the computer that the timing is mentally challenged, and the computer will advance it. PCIII and PCV's intercept the signal coming from the ECU to the fuel injectors control module (or something like that).

A few users have done this, none have reported huge power gains, but as far as I know, no one has dyno'ed before and after to find out. Also, you'd need to use higher octane gas. This is another mod that would only help when WOT in the upper RPM range.

There were also PCIIIr's that also controlled ignition timing along with the fuel map! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm still confused... will the PC V for the 2009 VFR work on the 2006 model out-of-the-box? i.e. has the right harness connectors etc.?

• Member Contributer

I'm emailing with Dynojet right now to get more information about PC Vs and older VFRs.

I have another question for coderighter. Since the PC V supports different maps for each gear, and your post says "separate maps for every gear (more on this later)", are you actually using this feature? The VFR does not have a gear position sensor so I'm wondering how this could be used.

• Member Contributer
I'm still confused... will the PC V for the 2009 VFR work on the 2006 model out-of-the-box? i.e. has the right harness connectors etc.?

Yes, plugs right in. If you want to do map by gear you need to tap into the vehicle speed sensor wire. I you use a Autotune with it and want to have it not sample until you reach operating temp, you'll need to tap into the temp sensor.

Dynojet has decided not to support the PCV on any bike built before '09 regardless of make or model. My guess is they didn't want to do any reverse engineering. It also leaves a larger market for the PCIII, which I'm guessing at this point, has a larger profit margin.....or something.

• Member Contributer
I'm emailing with Dynojet right now to get more information about PC Vs and older VFRs.

I have another question for coderighter. Since the PC V supports different maps for each gear, and your post says "separate maps for every gear (more on this later)", are you actually using this feature? The VFR does not have a gear position sensor so I'm wondering how this could be used.

Yes, I'm using it. I believe its the best feature of the PCV. There is no gear position sensor input on the PCV, it compares a feed from the vehicle speed sensor to the engine RPM to find what gear you are in. Works great. You can set up a fuel efficient 5th-6th gear cruise while still having a smooth as butter 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I can also sneak through the neighborhood in 3rd gear @ 3200-3400 rpm without all the drama, no surge, no snatch.

• 4 weeks later...

You can set up a fuel efficient 5th-6th gear cruise while still having a smooth as butter 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I can also sneak through the neighborhood in 3rd gear @ 3200-3400 rpm without all the drama, no surge, no snatch.

Hell yes! That's what I'm talking about smile.gif ^^^^^

So - silly question, may have already been answered, can you use a PCIII map on the PCV? IE - the Coyze map???

• Member Contributer

You can set up a fuel efficient 5th-6th gear cruise while still having a smooth as butter 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I can also sneak through the neighborhood in 3rd gear @ 3200-3400 rpm without all the drama, no surge, no snatch.

Hell yes! That's what I'm talking about smile.gif ^^^^^

So - silly question, may have already been answered, can you use a PCIII map on the PCV? IE - the Coyze map???

Yes and no. No you can't directly load it but you can copy and paste the tables from the PCIII file to a PCV file. You have to then average 10% throttle and 20% throttle to fill in the 15% throttle, since the PCIII doesn't have the 15% column. Load it and go.

• 4 months later...
Guest 1337sauce

I have an '06 VFR. I got a PCV and the autotune module. I took it to the dealer where I bought the bike. They said that they could install it for me. I gave them everything that came with the PC including the disc. I assumed after our conversation that this meant that I would get the bike back ready to go. Not so. They gave me the bike back and said "ok, now you just have to install the map. Also, you'll have to move the exhaust sensor back and forth between the 2 pipes to calibrate your map since it only came with one sensor." This makes me think that they actually had no idea what they were doing. Does the sensor have to be moved, or did they just not know how to install it?

I just called a guy at a local shop and he said that I should bring it in to have a map made. He said it will be $260 to get a map for it. He then said that I wouldn't need to use the Autotune module. At this point I am confused. Didn't I buy the Autotune so that I wouldn't have to spend $260 on the Dyno to get the right map. Isn't the point of the Autotune to do the map for me and then keep it tuned on the fly? Why would I want to disconnect it after I got it working initially?

Edited by 1337sauce

Does the sensor have to be moved, or did they just not know how to install it?

I just called a guy at a local shop and he said that I should bring it in to have a map made. He said it will be $260 to get a map for it. He then said that I wouldn't need to use the Autotune module. At this point I am confused. Didn't I buy the Autotune so that I wouldn't have to spend $260 on the Dyno to get the right map. Isn't the point of the Autotune to do the map for me and then keep it tuned on the fly? Why would I want to disconnect it after I got it working initially?

Just PM coderighter, he's the man.

Avoid your local shop as he's an idiot! :angry: The whole point of autotune is to eliminate the need for a custom map made by a Dyno guy. Makes the dyno guy an un-needed part of the equation.

Yes there is two 02 spuds and only one sensor, but I'm not sure what you need to do here.

Again PM coderighter. :laugh:

PS I think there is a download of the maps coderighter made for his 06 around here somewhere. :fing02:

Good Luck

BR

• 4 months later...

I have just brought one of these but was wondering............. I have gone down one tooth on the front sprocket, will this effect the pc v's gear ratio?

Also you mentioned at the start that there was a calibration that has to be done, right?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest colbryan

One more add. Ordered and installed a PCIII on an '06 this week - although Coderighter suggested PCV to me a few weeks ago. Local Speedshop advised against the PCV but my research supported Coderighter. Bottom line is that the III still made a very significant improvement, and did come with O2 sensors for CA and overseas models. I'm probably less performance oriented (age?) but I am pleased, even given the loss of the Autotune option. The III has eliminated the "snatch and grab" stock characterstics and made interstate commuting 'mo bettah". Kudos to the V experiment and happy that it worked.

• Member Contributer

Yes, I'm using it. I believe its the best feature of the PCV. There is no gear position sensor input on the PCV, it compares a feed from the vehicle speed sensor to the engine RPM to find what gear you are in. Works great. You can set up a fuel efficient 5th-6th gear cruise while still having a smooth as butter 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I can also sneak through the neighborhood in 3rd gear @ 3200-3400 rpm without all the drama, no surge, no snatch.

So does this mean you can use the PCV with the GIProDS gear position indicator? I already have the GIProDS and would hate to give that up to get the PCV. THE GIProDS plugs into that red plug on the right side of the bike just under the plastic under the throttle. Does the PCV plug in there too?

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

So does this mean you can use the PCV with the GIProDS gear position indicator? I already have the GIProDS and would hate to give that up to get the PCV. THE GIProDS plugs into that red plug on the right side of the bike just under the plastic under the throttle. Does the PCV plug in there too?

Thanks...

Not a problem. I'm running a Speedhealer now. There actually are no plugs on the PCV, you need to splice into the VSS wire to get the speed signal.

• Member Contributer

One more add. Ordered and installed a PCIII on an '06 this week - although Coderighter suggested PCV to me a few weeks ago. Local Speedshop advised against the PCV but my research supported Coderighter. Bottom line is that the III still made a very significant improvement, and did come with O2 sensors for CA and overseas models. I'm probably less performance oriented (age?) but I am pleased, even given the loss of the Autotune option. The III has eliminated the "snatch and grab" stock characterstics and made interstate commuting 'mo bettah". Kudos to the V experiment and happy that it worked.

Curious, what was the speed shops reason for advising against it?