Just Installed Power Commander 5 On My '06!

coderighter

• Member Contributer

I have just brought one of these but was wondering............. I have gone down one tooth on the front sprocket, will this effect the pc v's gear ratio?

Also you mentioned at the start that there was a calibration that has to be done, right?

The speed cal is used to calculate what gear you are in. It takes the output shaft speed and compares it to engine RPM. What happens after the output shaft (either sprocket or tire height) has no bearing, you're fine.

• 1 month later...

I have just brought one of these but was wondering............. I have gone down one tooth on the front sprocket, will this effect the pc v's gear ratio?

Also you mentioned at the start that there was a calibration that has to be done, right?

The speed cal is used to calculate what gear you are in. It takes the output shaft speed and compares it to engine RPM. What happens after the output shaft (either sprocket or tire height) has no bearing, you're fine.

Sorry coderighter, forgot to say thanks.

• 6 months later...

coderighter

So i guess my sweet 1998 vfr will be left out of the pcv experiment due to the lack of o2 sensors?

Would be this years upgrade, as last years upgrade was the dyno run with the PCIII with the supercharger kit...

:beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

So i guess my sweet 1998 vfr will be left out of the pcv experiment due to the lack of o2 sensors?

No it won't be left out of the experiement. I've installed a PCV on my 98 with great results. I have the Autotune, map by gear, and temp sensors installed and working great. All I did was drill a hole for the Bosch unit and had a bung welded. Works great.

• 5 months later...
Guest ohlarikd

Coderighter - got a few questions! I just purchased the PCV, no autotune, for an 2007 model. I want to try your 'autotuned' map, but I see you have it 'per gear', which is cool.

1) The Power Commander manual says I need to hook up one wire. Is this the correct one:

"Speed Input - PINK wire of 3 pin clear connector located behind L.H fairing : PINK-GREEN-BLACK"

2) I assume there was some calibration involved so that the PCV knows what gear goes with what speed/RPM. Is that information SAVED in the PVM file that you posted? With just the 1 wire hookup and your PVM file, it should automatically switch maps per gear?

Let me know if the 'per gear maps' will switch WITHOUT having autotune connected. Thanks!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Coderighter - got a few questions! I just purchased the PCV, no autotune, for an 2007 model. I want to try your 'autotuned' map, but I see you have it 'per gear', which is cool.

1) The Power Commander manual says I need to hook up one wire. Is this the correct one:

"Speed Input - PINK wire of 3 pin clear connector located behind L.H fairing : PINK-GREEN-BLACK"

2) I assume there was some calibration involved so that the PCV knows what gear goes with what speed/RPM. Is that information SAVED in the PVM file that you posted? With just the 1 wire hookup and your PVM file, it should automatically switch maps per gear?

Let me know if the 'per gear maps' will switch WITHOUT having autotune connected. Thanks!

Derek

1) Yes

2) No, I'll have to cal it on the bike. The PCV has instructions on how to do this.

Yes map by gear works with or without Autotune.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I was thinking of getting one of the PCV units but thought I would seek some guidance first. If I understand this correctly, without the auto-tune unit, I can use a computer to setup a map, or download a pre-programmed map that would get me in the ball park. I can then tweak the settings as I see fit (within reason of course) and NOT need a shop to do a dyno tune on the bike. I also understand that the PCV also has a "2 map switch" input on it that would allow me to setup a "fuel efficient" cruising map and a "high performance" mode map and I can toggle those with a contact closure. That being said, how easy or difficult is the tuning process? Can I seriously damage the motor if I do something wrong? Would also getting the auto-tune be a wise choice?

My main goal is to setup a daily commuter setting for getting around town and to and from my job sites, then have a performance setting when I want to do some canyon carving, track day, etc. What's the general consensus?

Guest ohlarikd

I was thinking of getting one of the PCV units but thought I would seek some guidance first. If I understand this correctly, without the auto-tune unit, I can use a computer to setup a map, or download a pre-programmed map that would get me in the ball park. I can then tweak the settings as I see fit (within reason of course) and NOT need a shop to do a dyno tune on the bike. I also understand that the PCV also has a "2 map switch" input on it that would allow me to setup a "fuel efficient" cruising map and a "high performance" mode map and I can toggle those with a contact closure. That being said, how easy or difficult is the tuning process? Can I seriously damage the motor if I do something wrong? Would also getting the auto-tune be a wise choice?

My main goal is to setup a daily commuter setting for getting around town and to and from my job sites, then have a performance setting when I want to do some canyon carving, track day, etc. What's the general consensus?

You do not need autotune to get in a pretty good ballpark. I am using Coderighters 'autotuned' map, and I am quite happy so far. There are also many maps available here to soften VTEC, cure the lean conditions. I would love autotune, but you'll get close just using the maps. Perhaps close enough.

As I think it would be difficult to tweak a bike without a dyno. There is only so much your butt-o-meter can tell you. Most maps here were done on a dyno or autotuned. I would just use them and save yourself some money.

I understand the two map thing, but how fuel efficient can you make the bike? I haven't even seen a 'fuel efficieny' map available at this point. Doing it yourself is risky because making things too lean will overheat the engine, burn pistons, and burn valves. To make a fuel efficiency map, I would say you need to carefully monitor the AF ratio to prevent destruction.

Derek

• Member Contributer

Derek

1) Yes

2) No, I'll have to cal it on the bike. The PCV has instructions on how to do this.

Yes map by gear works with or without Autotune.

Jon

...done a lot of reading through your posts (GPM's, and others) and don't remember seeing the answer... Will the by-gear map (without autotune) work / make a marked difference on an '02?

j

• Member Contributer

Yes, map-by-gear well work on any PCV. Whether it makes a difference or not depends on the setup. It seems that '06 and newer are map-by-gear from the factory and would have the most to gain. However, someone with a pre '06 might want to tune gears 1-4 for the smoothest performance, while gears 5-6 could be tuned for the best gas mileage.

• 1 month later...

Hey there Coderighter,

I used your mapping on my pc5; works fantastic. Gave it a few tweeks on the 40% + throttle for a bit more "wait, was that a Viffer?!"

I read that you were using a pressure switch to disable the fuel mapping for when you roll off the throttle and was wondering if you have the details posted up anywhere. It sounds like a great idea and I'd be interested in increasing my fuel efficiency a bit further.

• 5 months later...

I installed the PC5 on my '07 this weekend. I am a mechanically inclined person, but not too fond of dealing with electrical things. This installation was straight forward and simple. I went ahead and tapped into the speed senors wire so that I could take advantage of the map by gear feature of this unit. Uploading coderighter's map to the unit was straightforward.

The wife and I went for a short cruise yesterday to test it out. I spent the first few miles navigating traffic, so I didn't not notice much one way or the other - after a bad experience last year, I tend to focus solely on the traffic when it is heavy. As soon as we got into the open, I immediately noticed how much smoother the bike was running at a constant speed, smooth like butter! Once we got into a the twisties, I could not believe how smooth the bike was while rolling on and off the throttle. I anticipate that I was taking the corners 5 to 10 mph faster than normal because of the smoothness. There was no more jerky behavior when accelerating and decelerating. I found this smoothness to be confidence inspiring! The VTEC transition was still there, but not quite as harsh as it was previously.

I'm not sure if the bike is more powerful with the PC5 installed, primarily because it is so smooth now; I think the power sneaks up on you! Whereas prior to the PC5, I think the jerkiness may have made the bike seem powerful from a seat-of-the-pants perspective. As I stated above, the new-found smoothness is very confidence inspiring! I am extremely happy with this upgrade.

Regarding the power-train, my VFR is currently outfitted as follows:

• +2 on the rear sprocket
  • BMC air filter
  • Two Bros V.A.L.E. exhaust with the P1X tip
  • PC5 with coderighter's map

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey there Coderighter,

I used your mapping on my pc5; works fantastic. Gave it a few tweeks on the 40% + throttle for a bit more "wait, was that a Viffer?!"

I read that you were using a pressure switch to disable the fuel mapping for when you roll off the throttle and was wondering if you have the details posted up anywhere. It sounds like a great idea and I'd be interested in increasing my fuel efficiency a bit further.

The switch can be had on Ebay here-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Vacuum-switch-6-24-inHG-lockup-700r4-2004r-/290698102042?hash=item43aef5051a&vxp=mtr

I took the vacuum off where the Evap used to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jsouth574

So I have a 97 750 and bought used..... can anyone tell me about this "ignition advance module?' under the seat, red power wire to black 5 pin, with black box.. the box has 1-6 switches you can turn to "on" position... some sort of programer? only thing on the box are the letters SH... I have pics.. I just dont know how to post them on here....

Just got mine loaded up with the PowerCommander provided '09 map for bikes with LeoVince, O2 sensors removed and aftermarket air filters. It's amazing! Seriously can't believe how smooth the vtec transition is now. I may try running without the O2 sensors disabled since I'd like to retain or even gain some mpg, but wow is it ever smoother at the transition. Feels a little more responsive and smoother throughout the entire range and I noticed it's a lot less snatchy when coming on/off the throttle (I assume this is because of the O2 sensor being removed)

Overall, it completely transforms the bike. Seriously makes it feel so much more well put together. Just need my sliders and LiFePO4 battery installed and I'm done tinkering for the season! I managed to install quite a bit of farkles while maintaining the factory weight (saved 12lbs with the exhaust and 6 with the battery) Added a bit with seats/sliders/PCV/side case brackets

With side cases installed, I'm just a little over factory weight.

Edited by Terc

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

No it won't be left out of the experiement. I've installed a PCV on my 98 with great results. I have the Autotune, map by gear, and temp sensors installed and working great. All I did was drill a hole for the Bosch unit and had a bung welded. Works great.

where did you weld the plug ?

• Member Contributer

Not pretty but I have seen modified sparks plugs. They take the center out and fill it with epoxy .

I see why now the cheapest one I found was at Advance Auto $14 ..

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I think he is looking for where did he drill and mount the bung for the wideband O2 sensor... I suggest something similar to Mohawks TBR header (see below on left)

post-24524-0-99555600-1425160813.jpg

• Member Contributer

i was referring more to the position of the plug on the pipes

See my post just before this one...

• Member Contributer

I think he is looking for where did he drill and mount the bung for the wideband O2 sensor... I suggest something similar to Mohawks TBR header (see below on left)

isnt it suppose to be more towards the header instead of the exhaust ?

• Member Contributer

isnt it suppose to be more towards the header instead of the exhaust ?

That is only slightly farther downstream than the factory O2 sensors on the gen 5.5 & 6... that position allows measurement of all the cylinder gases instead of two or one. I understand your point about positioning and there is a "Goldilock's" distance from the cylinder exhaust port to get the most accurate reading; too close and the exhaust gases are too hot and completing combustion, too far and they are starting to cool and have consumed more available oxygen giving an apparent richer mixture than actual... you can adjust your A/F target to compensate for the position of the wide band O2 sensor if needed.