New Bars

rdguy

• Member Contributer

DSCN0066.jpg

Well, being an incurable tinkerer I couldn't just buy higher bars...

So I had a local guy make up some clamps and I made up the tubes:

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

There's a couple of sets of clamps available if anybody is interested. I can post drawings of the tubes I made.

Glenn

• Member Contributer
Looks like it offers several angles to offer more position options.

I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. Nice job there!

• Member Contributer
Very nice............. Since they are custom....... how would one determine the torque values..... Monk

One would use his/hers seatofthepants-o-meter.

This nifty gadget worked for me w/o fail so far. Never used a torque wrench. No problem.

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

Goosechef; correct. The bars adjust up/down, fore/aft, and the angle to the centreline can be adjusted. The angle to the horizontal can't be adjusted except by changing the stub bars, but that's fairly easy.

bsujanto; if you are interested in a set send me a PM and I'll forward the contact info for the machinist. You'll still have to supply the stub bars.

Monk; since there are no requirements for a maximum clamping force in this application (more won't hurt) I used the highest torque I would normally use for an M6 in aluminum. I'm embarrassed to say that I used the same gadget as Rice this time...

Glenn

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

if you are interested in a set send me a PM and I'll forward the contact info for the machinist. You'll still have to supply the stub bars.

Glenn

Glenn, if your machinist is using a CNC machine just ask him how much for a run of say 25-50 units(pairs) and you can sell them off here. Could also do 41mm versions for all the 5th gen and older VFR's. :cool:

The bars shouldn't be that hard to make, but you could make & sell them too! :laugh:

BR

• Member Contributer

Baileyrock; the machinist is old skool. He made up a few extras while the setup was there. I briefly thought about a prod run, but I'd rather ride. Maybe in December... It might be an interesting exercise though, pricing out a finished product. My bars are just blued and waxed, for instance, but I wouldn't want to do that for 25 sets.

Knife; there's still some bar adjustment left, but I ran out of clutch line. If I want more movement, I'll have to change that.

Glenn

Edited by rdguy

• Member Contributer
4130 steel?

CREW DOM. 0.065" for the grips, 0.095 for the upright (it got grooved to clear the brake switch connector).

To paraphrase Kevin Cameron, I don't have the talent to crash just enough to bend CREW, but not 4130. :biggrin:

Edited by rdguy

Very nice! I know of a CNC machinist who might be willing/interested in making these if the specs are available.

How key is the steel type for the bars, and why the two different types?

It wouldn't be pretty, but I bet you could make a clutch line extender that would remove the need to run a whole new line as well.

Guest Pete McCrary
Very nice! I know of a CNC machinist who might be willing/interested in making these if the specs are available.

How key is the steel type for the bars, and why the two different types?

It wouldn't be pretty, but I bet you could make a clutch line extender that would remove the need to run a whole new line as well.

I don't think he used two different types of steel, just two different thicknesses.

4130 is a great material to work with. Very strong, welds and machines nicely. That is some very professional welding shown in the photos. And all in all for a project like this, the price difference between 4130 and CREW DOM would be minimal.

• Member Contributer

Great. Now that you've put that idea in my head...

I don't think he used two different types of steel, just two different thicknesses.

4130 is a great material to work with. Very strong, welds and machines nicely. That is some very professional welding shown in the photos. And all in all for a project like this, the price difference between 4130 and CREW DOM would be minimal.

Correct, two thicknesses. The upright needed grooving to give the brake switch some room (to allow the MC lever to rotate down a bit more). These bars are a (semi) temporary solution until I find out if I got the angle WRT horizontal correct, got the switch box locating holes right, etc. Then maybe a brushed electroless nickel finish on the final ones.

I'll pass the word on the welding. I wish I could take credit for it.

Glenn

• Member Contributer
Baileyrock; the machinist is old skool. He made up a few extras while the setup was there. I briefly thought about a prod run, but I'd rather ride. Maybe in December... It might be an interesting exercise though, pricing out a finished product. My bars are just blued and waxed, for instance, but I wouldn't want to do that for 25 sets.

Knife; there's still some bar adjustment left, but I ran out of clutch line. If I want more movement, I'll have to change that.

Glenn

Hey glenn does the OLD SKOOL dude still have them smile.gif))))) willing to send them West.

Would be a great addition to take the Summer Summit In August

Edited by Axel_7

• Member Contributer
Hey glenn does the OLD SKOOL dude still have them smile.gif))))) willing to send them West.

Hi Axel,

PM sent.

Glenn

Hi Axel,

PM sent.

Glenn

I too am interested, are the bars included/available?

• Member Contributer
I too am interested, are the bars included/available?

No, but I can send you a drawing if you want to see about getting them made locally.

Glenn

Guest Pete McCrary

Glenn:

In your fourth picture, what is that device hanging on the wall directly in line with the gas tank? Looks like some sort of plastic ribbed device with a handle. What in the world would something like that be used for?

Pete

• Member Contributer
Glenn:

In your fourth picture, what is that device hanging on the wall directly in line with the gas tank? Looks like some sort of plastic ribbed device with a handle. What in the world would something like that be used for?

Pete

Dunno. I'll have to ask my wife.

:laugh:

Glenn

Guest Midnight
Glenn:

Pete

Dunno. I'll have to ask my wife.

:laugh:

Glenn

Hmmm... I wonder if Pete was asking a serious question. Great answer though. I have one of those in my garage too but am not planning to ask my wife what she uses it for because, then, I might have to use it.

Seriously, though, I also ran out of clutch line with Helibars. Are these about the same height then?

Cheers