Hrc Swingarm Upgrade...

BusyLittleShop

• Member Contributer
Rear sets...I couldn't tell from the pics at the top of the page that they are a one-off piece. They are quite nice!!! I'm still looking for some for my 4th Gen. It has been said that the mid 90's Aprilia's have the same distance between mounting points for their rear sets. If that isn't the case, I may buy some Sato's and just have new mount plate made up that matches the VFR's dimensions. Yours are very clean, very nice!!!

I think Jody's VFR from Hell that I modified with custom rear sets was a 4th Gen... no???

gallery_3131_51_187784.jpg

gallery_3131_51_307900.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oh I want one! I do want one! Damn!!! That is sweet with a cup of sugar to boot. If duplicated, what would one cost. I have tried not to become a "man of the streets" but... :biggrin: Good job BLS, JD

• Member Contributer

Oh I want one! I do want one! Damn!!! That is sweet with a cup of sugar to boot. If duplicated, what would one cost. I have tried not to become a "man of the streets" but... :blink: Good job BLS, JD

Thanks... but Jody's VFR from Hell was a cost be damn attempt to

replicating an RC45... however the time and money that went into the

project came real close of used cost of an real RC45... an RC45 is an

investment that will appreciate over time whereas replicas

depreciate... in other words money spent on a replica is lost

whereas money spent on the real item gains... not to mention nothing

feels like an RC45...

• Member Contributer
. It has been said that the mid 90's Aprilia's have the same distance between mounting points for their rear sets. If that isn't the case, I may buy some Sato's and just have new mount plate made up that matches the VFR's dimensions. Yours are very clean, very nice!!!

What Priller model? My local dealer may have a second hand on the floor so I can go out and measure...

• Member Contributer

Okay, since nobody's come out with it, I will.

Was the HRC SSSA optional on the RC45? You said something about correcting Honda's error in trail. Is that the only real difference? Was the original HRC SSSA also aluminum? I noticed you put a 43t in the rear (the same as my 6th gen.). What did it have before? Is the hub assembly you've got on there now better?

• Member Contributer
Okay, since nobody's come out with it, I will.

Was the HRC SSSA optional on the RC45? You said something about correcting Honda's error in trail. Is that the only real difference? Was the original HRC SSSA also aluminum? I noticed you put a 43t in the rear (the same as my 6th gen.). What did it have before? Is the hub assembly you've got on there now better?

HRC SSSA was not an option it was a HRC kit part especially for rigors of WSBK racing...

I added the 4mm back in 99... that's when I discovered an error in

trail... instead of the advertised 92mm it was actually 95.5mm

I passed my discovery onto "Swan" Japanese RC45 owner who is Chairman

of the Japanese Chapter and a HRC researcher... he actually called up

Honda corporation and asked one of the engineers about this error...

Honda engineer very kindly explained to Swan that he was sorry... but

there is actual measurements and advertise measurements and the two

may not agree... and thats why then print the little disclosure at the

the bottom of the text... he added this information

1) actual measurement

It will be not useful to compare with designed data . Because

actual caster , diameter of front tire and any other factors are not

considered in design .

2)calculated data vs. designed data

The stem offset and the axle offset are 35mm , but real offset is

used 42mm in design .

Both the stock and HRC SSSW are aluminum...

Stock sprockets were 17/40... now 17/43...

About 150K worth HRC kits parts...

RC45HRCparts.JPG

RC45HRCparts02.JPG

. It has been said that the mid 90's Aprilia's have the same distance between mounting points for their rear sets. If that isn't the case, I may buy some Sato's and just have new mount plate made up that matches the VFR's dimensions. Yours are very clean, very nice!!!

What Priller model? My local dealer may have a second hand on the floor so I can go out and measure...

You would have to ask that, as I really can't remember right now. All I can remember right now is that the distance between the center of the bolts is 78mm. I want to say the RSV but could be wrong...

• 2 months later...
Guest Arion

7075 T6 aluminum swingarm axle and nut...

gallery_3131_51_44845.jpg

Beautiful work, but I'm wondering about the use of 7075-T6 aluminum for the swing arm axle and nut.

7075-T6 is high strength but it is very poor for cracking induced by corrosion and preload stress, ie. it's stress corrosion cracking SCC rating is D, the worst possible. The preload axial stress will be fairly high from torquing the axle nut alone. Add to that static bending stresses from static load and dynamic bending stresses from suspension loads. The environment will add corrosion over time.

Fatigue resistance is also worse than steel and titanium. If one idealizes the axle as a uniform bar with no stress concentrations than you may expect a fatigue life of a million stress cycles if maximum stress is roughly 35000psi or less. This compares with 4340 steel bar or Ti-6Al-4V titanium bar where the peak stress could reach 50000psi with the same life expectancy even with full stress reversal. But then the axle isn't a uniform bar and it does have stress concentrators.

The stiffness of 7075-T6 aluminum is about one third that of 4340 steel, while Ti-6Al-4V is better at one half that of 4340 steel. Since the handling of modern bikes is in part derived from the structural stiffness of their frames, suspensions, and related pivots, this seems like a reasonable concern.

Was your engineering contact able to confirm if HRC used 7075-T6 for its axles and nuts and if so how often did they change them?

Keep an eye on that axle.

• Member Contributer
Beautiful work, but I'm wondering about the use of 7075-T6 aluminum for the swing arm axle and nut.

Was your engineering contact able to confirm if HRC used 7075-T6 for its axles and nuts and if so how often did they change them?

Thanks but I engineered the use of 7075 T6...

• 1 year later...
Guest mikethaninefive

Thanks but I engineered the use of 7075 T6...

I know this is an old thread but A: Can you make a rear set for a 5th gen and B: this is in no way meant to be taken as condescending or an insult of any kind but genuine interest- What do you mean you engineered the use of 7075-T6? For this application or for the alloy? I'm a welder by trade and I'm extremely geeky about metals and such so now I'm intrigued :) Chatting with an engineer about various alloy's properties excites me about the same as a 40 something housewife from NJ meeting Bon Jovi in the supermarket,lol Seriously, I once talked to an engineer from Hypertherm about the properties of hafnium for almost two hours and an engineer for Cornell Dublier for three about tantalum :) Nice work BTW :)

• Member Contributer

I know this is an old thread but A: Can you make a rear set for a 5th gen and B: this is in no way meant to be taken as condescending or an insult of any kind but genuine interest- What do you mean you engineered the use of 7075-T6? For this application or for the alloy? Nice work BTW :)

Thanks... Just for Uncle Stan I machined custom rear sets for the 5th

Gen and I wouldn't be interested in duplicating the hand made effort for

anything less than $800... What I mean about engineering 7075 T6 is

due to the alloys weight to strength ratio a designer can machine a

part thinner than 6061 T6 alloy and end up with the same strength...

VFRsetsBrake.JPG

VFRsetsShift.JPG

VFRsetsShift.JPG

Forgive me for not checking first, but I believe the swingarm pivot bolt was inserted from the "wrong" side... if I remember correctly, the nut goes on the left/clutch side of the bike to facilitate easy chain removal without having to cut. At least on the 5th gen... not that I remove chains that way, just jumped out at me when I saw it. Probably makes no difference.

• Member Contributer

Forgive me for not checking first, but I believe the swingarm pivot bolt was inserted from the "wrong" side... if I remember correctly, the nut goes on the left/clutch side of the bike to facilitate easy chain removal without having to cut. At least on the 5th gen... not that I remove chains that way, just jumped out at me when I saw it. Probably makes no difference.

SEB,

The pivot bolt on my 5th is as shown in the picture. I guess access to the headers was first on their mind.

SEB,

The pivot bolt on my 5th is as shown in the picture. I guess access to the headers was first on their mind.

I've never taken the black caps off mine, but that is how it is shown in the manual as well.

Good to be wrong every now and then. Nevermind Larry! :smile: