Modified My Chain Gaurd. What Do You Think?

Guest itwrx

Didn't take as much off when I did it a couple of months ago....

Picture002-1.jpg

but it's the same idea. I might take some more off right next to the peg, but I think I'm generally happy with what I already took off, as long as it lightens the look of the OEM guard enough.

This could become one of the most common mods, next to the "fenderectomy"

Beck

95 VFR

Beck,

After seeing your I also had to do it. Simple cheap, clean mod.and CHEAP!

gallery_15375_4187_8226.jpg

Picture 094.jpg Chain Guard Mod.

and yes I gained 5 hp.

Looks great! You can gain 1 more HP if you will take off the plastic end cap on the axle like I did. It will get rid of just that little bit more of unsprung/reciprocating weight from your 4th gens rear end and make squids think twice before challenging you to any race. :fing02: Seeing through the axle gives the rear end a racier look!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Here is a photo of it in better light. That's a good idea to remove the stickers. the one thing they do is make it look like a cool factory bike. :fing02: The guard Honda should have made LOL. But I do like the fact I could mod it while retaining the function of it. I think I'm going to order a new one and try my original design.

539133837_D5a4L-M.jpg

Paying it fwd. You pay shipping, I'll send you one. K?

Oh - and "those ugly stickers" DougFromIndy was referring to are the ones for tire pressure, chain wear, etc. You don't need those; the chain wear one is useless (you should be able to tell when your chain is worn, and in any case, it won't work now you have a bigger sprocket on), and the tire pressures you should know. In fact, many owners use different pressures anyway. For a Clean Look, the only stickers/decals you need are the Honda logo, and maybe the VFR one. All warning stickers are teh ghey, and tire pressures etc belong in the owners manual.

Ghey??!! maybe you're just getting too "anal" about those stickers tongue.gif .....they don't bother me none.... tongue.gif

Beck

95 VFR

Those warning stickers on bikes are terrible, DO NOT PUT YOUR TOES UNDER A RUNNING LAWNMOWER :excl: duhhh...

My Polaris snowmobile was the worst, DO NOT HIT A TREE AT 80 MPH, IT COULD HURT OR KILL YOU :excl: duhhh..in French and English

and those damn stickers are a PITA to remove, I have a v-strom, its not mine, but I dont think I can ride it again with all those damn warning stickers, DO NOT READ THIS STICKER WHILE RIDING :excl: duhhh...

I hate them, really I do, lol :goofy:

Doug, I got more just for you!

gallery_285_20_75354.jpg

MVC-010F.JPG

Courtesy of the Honda safety police! :fing02:

Too bad I didn't catch the "Unleaded fuel recommended" sticker in this pic! tongue.gif

Ooohh...get a load of my little Kryptonite "take off your disc lock before you ride...dummy!" sticker too! :excl:

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

Guest Patience

Awesome mod. .....the so called air guard is a safety guard to the pinch point of the chain / sprocket meeting. With the direction of rotation, the chain will pull what ever is near into it (road debris, foot, or loose clothing). Its really critical on dirt bikes to keep sticks and rocks away which would lock up the rear wheel......on a road bike...it looks sucky....but...it has a job... Just my 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

Ahhhhhhhh my favorite beer,,,, Oppps I mean cerveza. Ohh yeah back to the topic, that chain looks nice and since you can see more of it now, it looks even nicer. Ohh and I agree, paint it Quicksilver.

Awesome mod. .....the so called air guard is a safety guard to the pinch point of the chain / sprocket meeting. With the direction of rotation, the chain will pull what ever is near into it (road debris, foot, or loose clothing). Its really critical on dirt bikes to keep sticks and rocks away which would lock up the rear wheel......on a road bike...it looks sucky....but...it has a job... Just my 2 cents.

:comp13:

Guest itwrx
Here is a photo of it in better light. That's a good idea to remove the stickers. the one thing they do is make it look like a cool factory bike. :unsure: The guard Honda should have made LOL. But I do like the fact I could mod it while retaining the function of it. I think I'm going to order a new one and try my original design.

539133837_D5a4L-M.jpg

On a side note I just installed a Pilot Power 2C on the rear. Anyone using that tire? Any feed back?

Guest jaxsvt

A little off subject... I must be doing something wrong because my swingarm/chainguard/countersprocket is covered in chain lube and dirt. How the hell do you guys keep it all so clean?!

Otherwise, nice mod. If plastic could look "machined" this does. Good job!

Jack

Guest itwrx
A little off subject... I must be doing something wrong because my swingarm/chainguard/countersprocket is covered in chain lube and dirt. How the hell do you guys keep it all so clean?!

Jack

It isn't easy (for me). I completely tear down the bike when I wash it. All plastics off, rear tire, chain guard and seat. Then about three hours with simple green a couple brushes even a tooth brush, wax, and armorall. Then put it all back together and a fresh coat of oil on the chain. The 1st time you really clean off all the oil and dirt it takes a bit of time and elbow grease. Once you do the initial clean the hard part is done. (side note Honda makes a great cleaner called "Honda Bright" safe to use all over your bike) They still and will get dirty and nasty. So you do it all over the next cleaning. Don't let the photos fool you. Most of us that post the perfectly clean bike photos are right after we spend all day cleaning them and haven't ridden them. :angry: But I grab a rag and some cleaner (Honda Spray and Wipe wax) after almost every ride and do a little touch up on the sprocket, swingarm and rear rim. It takes a extra 5min but well worth the effort.

Edited by itwrx

• Member Contributer

Jack

It isn't easy (for me). I completely tear down the bike when I wash it. All plastics off, rear tire, chain guard and seat. Then about three hours with simple green a couple brushes even a tooth brush, wax, and armorall. Then put it all back together and a fresh coat of oil on the chain. The 1st time you really clean off all the oil and dirt it takes a bit of time and elbow grease. Once you do the initial clean the hard part is done. (side note Honda makes a great cleaner called "Honda Bright" safe to use all over your bike) They still and will get dirty and nasty. So you do it all over the next cleaning. Don't let the photos fool you. Most of us that post the perfectly clean bike photos are right after we spend all day cleaning them and haven't ridden them. :angry: But I grab a rag and some cleaner (Honda Spray and Wipe wax) after almost every ride and do a little touch up on the sprocket, swingarm and rear rim. It takes a extra 5min but well worth the effort.

And I thought that I was the only one doing that. Its good to know someone thinks like me. :goofy:

• 1 month later...
Guest onedowneaster

Guys; Please help me try and identify this item. Not sure but whoever owns the red ,I believe 4th gen,or the orange 5th gen,what year or P/N are the foot pegs? I like them because they do not have the rubber insert

that sits on top. I seem to catch my shoe on the rubber part now and again. I think the plain metal pegs would be better. tks eddie

Guest Oxygen545

That is awesome, I have been trying to figure out a way to make lubing my chain easier. I don't have a center stand so pushing the bike around to get to all the parts of it is such a pain. I'd thought about removing it but childhood memories of jeans in the BMX bike chain kept that bright idea away. THIS, looks like it might be a good alternative. When I get a chance I'm gonna check it out on my 86 and maybe try it out.

Oxygen

The Air Guide as you call it is also called a shark fin or chain fin; it is there to keep things like your foot from getting caught up in between the chain and sprocket. A friend of mine had a get off at a track day and his foot ended up being mangled because he didn't have such a fin; he recovered after several surgery's and a lot of rehab but he now has a fin on his track bike now.

Helped a guy riding an old Duc load up after he crashed and had a similar injury. They cut his boot off at the track, we helped him load up and he drove off with a bloody cloth wrapped around his foot. sad.gif I'll keep my shark fin.

As for the chain guard, where else am I supposed to keep all that nasty black crud between quarterly whore baths? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

If the air glide is that shark fin looking thingy then I agree with Lee. Looks like it does a great job of keeping things out of the moving chain and rear sprocket. Like the cut outs on the chain gaurd itself. Looks good and makes lubing the chain easier too.

Guest itwrx
The Air Guide as you call it is also called a shark fin or chain fin; it is there to keep things like your foot from getting caught up in between the chain and sprocket. A friend of mine had a get off at a track day and his foot ended up being mangled because he didn't have such a fin; he recovered after several surgery's and a lot of rehab but he now has a fin on his track bike now.

Helped a guy riding an old Duc load up after he crashed and had a similar injury. They cut his boot off at the track, we helped him load up and he drove off with a bloody cloth wrapped around his foot. sad.gif I'll keep my shark fin.

As for the chain guard, where else am I supposed to keep all that nasty black crud between quarterly whore baths? :biggrin:

Ouch! :biggrin:

So the key is not to crash. Check. :cool: :cool:

I still think Ill leave it off. I saw one for sale made out of carbon fiber once. If anyone knows where I can get one Ill put it back. For me it is just WAY too much plastic on the back of the bike. Its a motorcycle not a snap together Revell Model. On the note why is it soooooooooo freaking hard to get any parts for the VFR made out of carbon fiber? Are there any carbon masters out there that can make me some parts? I know it won't add any speed I just like the look. And foe-carbon doesn't cut it.

I'm in the process of making custom parts for the VFR and other bikes. What you ask?? :dry: :huh: :dry: Cant tell you right now but as soon as I'm done Ill post.

• Member Contributer

As for the chain guard, where else am I supposed to keep all that nasty black crud between quarterly whore baths? :fing02:

Ouch! :biggrin:

So the key is not to crash. Check. :cool: :cool:

I still think Ill leave it off. I saw one for sale made out of carbon fiber once. If anyone knows where I can get one Ill put it back. For me it is just WAY too much plastic on the back of the bike. Its a motorcycle not a snap together Revell Model. On the note why is it soooooooooo freaking hard to get any parts for the VFR made out of carbon fiber? Are there any carbon masters out there that can make me some parts? I know it won't add any speed I just like the look. And foe-carbon doesn't cut it.

I'm in the process of making custom parts for the VFR and other bikes. What you ask?? :dry: :sleep: :dry: Cant tell you right now but as soon as I'm done Ill post.

European market is your best bet for CF bits for your bike. I'll try to find a link for you.

• 4 months later...

The Air Guide as you call it is also called a shark fin or chain fin; it is there to keep things like your foot from getting caught up in between the chain and sprocket. A friend of mine had a get off at a track day and his foot ended up being mangled because he didn't have such a fin; he recovered after several surgery's and a lot of rehab but he now has a fin on his track bike now

I agree 100%. I have aked sveral old racers and they all said the same thing. They tired of getting tore up from body parts going thru the chain, sprockets.

• 1 month later...

Ouch! :laugh:

So the key is not to crash. Check. :unsure: :fing02:

I'm in the process of making custom parts for the VFR and other bikes. What you ask?? :laugh: :fing02: :blush: Cant tell you right now but as soon as I'm done Ill post.

I want CF parts too, but have had the same crappy luck finding them. I actually started looking into how to make them myself. I think I'm going to try some CF vinyl wrap first, then after that doesn't give me the results I want maybe it'll motivate me to learn how to make them. If you've ever seen the special "the birth of a racer" on discovery, they show CF parts being made, it doesn't look all that difficult and actually looks easier to work with than fiberglass. i think the difference is that fiberglass you can sand and straighten, and CF you have to get it right the first time, oh and screw ups are $$$.

99-38R246.JPG

99-38RK46.jpg

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/kotflugel-rc46_2.html

The CF is not made in an autoclave and is not as perfect as Ducati CF would be...

I like it!, I just wish it was cheaper. I love the look or real carbon fiber, it screams quality, beauty and performance all at the same time.

I really don't like the fake carbon fiber vinyl but the practical side of my brain is saying "it's already overweight for a sport bike...your overweight, I can't let you spend $500 to save a 1lb on your motorcycle, go on diet if you want your bike to be lighter" - the practical side of my brain is a bully, and is probably the reason I bought a VFR in the fist place.

• 8 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I think I will do the triangle cutout on my stocker guard. 

- But also - post up pics of your aftermarket chain guard. -- (The stocker is kind of a wart.)

:cool: