Modified My Chain Gaurd. What Do You Think?

Guest itwrx

Guest itwrx

Well got sick of the normal look so did some cutting. I had just installed a new chain and sprocket and wanted to be able to show them off more.

Also went up two teeth on the rear sprocket. I love it!!!!

What do yo think of my mod? Like it or hate it? :fing02:

538013076_88H6k-M.jpg

here is one close up.

538017202_UNa4F-M.jpg

and one more just because I love my bike :fing02:

538015738_fyoyH-M.jpg

Edited by itwrx

Guest VFryguy

I like it! From what I can see it looks like very clean job. Good work. Always nice to have a different look. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

It looks fantastic...great idea....I have the same rear sprocket in all black, the oem guard is fugly bigtime, you made it look better, I would remove those ugly stickers now. I bought a rear hugger to get rid of this eyesore. If it doesnt work out I may pay you to carve out my oem ugly piece, great work, nice gold chain.

• Member Contributer

My Man,

The Corona people should pay you royalties every day.

It's clean,crisp, classy, nice!!!!. Very Park City !!!!

I love it.

wrestler

Guest itwrx

Thanks for the great feedback! smile.gif I know the Corona stickers aren't everyone's flavor :fing02: but I had removed every badge on it except the Honda logo on the tank. I felt it needed some thing. Here is a photo of what the mod looks like when you look down at it parked.

538013964_7DeyW-M.jpg

I like being able to see more of the chain. On a side note I removed the air glide (I think that's what it is called) does anyone know why it was on there to begin with? In case your wondering it is that ugly piece on the underside of the swing arm right before the rear sprocket. I think It cleans it up with it off. Also the nice thing about my mod is my size 14 foot can still rest on the chain guard allowing it to do it's job. I didn't remove any plastic where I need it. I still need to do a little finishing sanding but so far I like it.

Edited by itwrx

Didn't take as much off when I did it a couple of months ago....

Picture002-1.jpg

but it's the same idea. I might take some more off right next to the peg, but I think I'm generally happy with what I already took off, as long as it lightens the look of the OEM guard enough.

This could become one of the most common mods, next to the "fenderectomy"

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

Guest itwrx

Picture002-1.jpg

but it's the same idea. I might take some more off right next to the peg, but I think I'm generally happy with what I already took off, as long as it lightens the look of the OEM guard enough.

Beck

95 VFR

No kidding :fing02: it is a easy mod with a good look. I thought I was the 1st :cool: but guess not lol. I can't believe Honda didn't do it from the get go. The factory guard is so ugly :blink:

I think this should be a factory look. hopefully we can start a trend :fing02:

I say the weight reduction must add at least 5hp :fing02: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest itwrx

Again does any one know what the "air glide" was for? Other thank looking bad I can't figure out it's need. Is it the appendix of the vfr? :laugh: :laugh:

Guest itwrx
Again,what did you use to cut the gaurd?

Sorry I didn't see that. I used a drill for the corners and a aircraft air saw my brother had at his hanger... I don't know the name of it but Ill find it out. The blade went a LOT faster than a jigsaw. but a jigsaw may work? Ive tried jigsaws in the past and they haven't gone fast enough and seem to rip more than make smooth cuts in plastic. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. My original design was a lot more complex looking but soon found out it would be way too hard. I may order a new one a try it again.

But as you can see the cuts are rather close. You want to make sure it is a tool that you use you have good control over. Otherwise you may end up with one big cutout lol!

538019325_LRTpj-M.jpg

538013396_Uu2MJ-M.jpg

Edited by itwrx

Guest drag08

Thank you for the info and this mod is very sweet...it deserves more of a straight on view with the sunlight on it...take care bro... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Cool. Now paint it silver. LOL. NICE work!

Again does any one know what the "air glide" was for? Other thank looking bad I can't figure out it's need. Is it the appendix of the vfr? :laugh: :laugh:

The air guide presumably guides air somewhere. Why? Dunno. To make the bike go a poofteenth of a mph faster?

Maybe it's bad Engrish, and it's supposed to be a "hair guide" to stop hair going into the rear sprocket (like when you have Rapunzel on the pillion seat).

Oh - and "those ugly stickers" DougFromIndy was referring to are the ones for tire pressure, chain wear, etc. You don't need those; the chain wear one is useless (you should be able to tell when your chain is worn, and in any case, it won't work now you have a bigger sprocket on), and the tire pressures you should know. In fact, many owners use different pressures anyway. For a Clean Look, the only stickers/decals you need are the Honda logo, and maybe the VFR one. All warning stickers are teh ghey, and tire pressures etc belong in the owners manual.

Huh.

Just realised I don't have one of those.

Anyway, your New! IMPROVED! lightweight chain guard is a definite hit. I removed the air guide years ago, but didn't think of cutting into the chain guard. Now I will.

Edited by enzed_viffer

Oh - and "those ugly stickers" DougFromIndy was referring to are the ones for tire pressure, chain wear, etc. You don't need those; the chain wear one is useless (you should be able to tell when your chain is worn, and in any case, it won't work now you have a bigger sprocket on), and the tire pressures you should know. In fact, many owners use different pressures anyway. For a Clean Look, the only stickers/decals you need are the Honda logo, and maybe the VFR one. All warning stickers are teh ghey, and tire pressures etc belong in the owners manual.

Ghey??!! maybe you're just getting too "anal" about those stickers tongue.gif .....they don't bother me none.... tongue.gif

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Ghey??!! maybe you're just getting too "anal" about those stickers tongue.gif .....they don't bother me none.... tongue.gif

Beck

95 VFR

Those warning stickers on bikes are terrible, DO NOT PUT YOUR TOES UNDER A RUNNING LAWNMOWER :goofy: duhhh...

My Polaris snowmobile was the worst, DO NOT HIT A TREE AT 80 MPH, IT COULD HURT OR KILL YOU :excl: duhhh..in French and English

and those damn stickers are a PITA to remove, I have a v-strom, its not mine, but I dont think I can ride it again with all those damn warning stickers, DO NOT READ THIS STICKER WHILE RIDING :excl: duhhh...

I hate them, really I do, lol :fing02:

Guest itwrx

Here is a photo of it in better light. That's a good idea to remove the stickers. the one thing they do is make it look like a cool factory bike. :fing02: The guard Honda should have made LOL. But I do like the fact I could mod it while retaining the function of it. I think I'm going to order a new one and try my original design.

539133837_D5a4L-M.jpg

• Member Contributer

Picture002-1.jpg

Beck

95 VFR

Beck,

After seeing your I also had to do it. Simple cheap, clean mod.and CHEAP!

gallery_15375_4187_8226.jpg

Picture 094.jpg Chain Guard Mod.

and yes I gained 5 hp.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The Air Guide as you call it is also called a shark fin or chain fin; it is there to keep things like your foot from getting caught up in between the chain and sprocket. A friend of mine had a get off at a track day and his foot ended up being mangled because he didn't have such a fin; he recovered after several surgery's and a lot of rehab but he now has a fin on his track bike now