Connector Melt-down: Who Has Had One?

Guest blackbuell

Do i check the resistance with the connector connected and the bike running? Can you explain how to check the resistance at this connector?

They're not sealed, stick one probe of the VOM in each side and measure the Resistance one pin at a time.

Re: heat in the wires - replace the wires.

OK will do... was intending on replacing the wires and putting a connector in place...

Are all 3 wires getting hot, or is it more concentrated in one? You can only replace the wires so far, then you run into the R/R....but if they are burned like Jim points out, they should be replaced up to a non-burned spot.

Jim is a great source for the R1 connectors, and a nifty fuse panel as well!

All 3 wires Josh, and especially the soldered joints themselves... the stator wires are cool to touch.

I'm trying to find a local source of decent, top quality automotive electrical connectors... I would buy over the net if anyone can give me a reputable source... The OEM one looks really good, but as we have seen, they mut be prone to loosening up once opening and closing the connector several times and then arking and melting the connector from the inside out...

I assume my soldering job wasn't good enough on the R/R end... I still have a decent stretch of cable before I "run-into" the R/R. I'll take the bike over to a friend's garage where I'll be able to work on it in more favourable conditions.

Someone once told me NOT to use too much heatshrink as it can trap heat in...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Here is what it looks like finished up (forgive the gawdy colored ty-wraps, they are the reusable kind and they were free from a neighbor). You will see in the pictures that I was liberal with the heatshrink protection. I doubled up heatshrink on everything:

Here is another shot:

gallery_1814_5015_18268.jpg

IMG_0225.JPG

KEB

Looks nice. My battery appeared to be on it's way out the last month and finally died completely (2.5 yr. old Yuasa YTZ14S). I replaced with a Walmart AGM style but decided to pull the tail and check my connectors today.

rr_connector2_99.jpg

rr_connector_99.jpg

Guess I'll be doing some soldering and crimping this weekend myself. I ran through the Electrosport checklist and the values were just out of range, not bad but probably not really charging. So it may have been a wasted $60 on a battery, I'll have to get the old one load tested.

• Member Contributer

Spliced/soldered in new wires to replace the stator/rr connector and all the readings appear normal now. 13.8V@2500rpm and about 13.6@5000rpm. The red/green rr connector looked fine, no burning noticed. Fingers crossed this will last another few years.

• Member Contributer

vfrcapn,

Just curious. Are the stator wires getting hot? Check them at 5K RPM or higher.

I didn't get it reved up that high very much before I put it back together but after idling for about 15 minutes I felt 0 heat in the wires. I'll check the next time I have the tail off, hopefully that will be at scheduled maintenance interval!

wires.jpg

edit: checked it tonight just after the 30 minutes commute home and the wires were cool to the touch. Air temps were only about 50 deg F though.

Archived