How To Upgrade (change?) Your 2002+ Vfr Headlight Settingsq

Tightwad

After reading all the various headlight mod threads, most particularly Fixers(may he be banned for all time as needed) version, I decided to make the jump and upgrade my headlight...utilizing the unused High Beam filament in the 2002+ assembly. As with all mods I do, I like to stay 100% plug and play, and if possible make it easy to replicate (or for sale....).

I won't bore you with pictures of the Nose Fairing removal....just a warning that this mod took 3 weeks and isn't done....my side fairings have been off so long I am getting tickets for indecent exposure. Not all pictures will be used, but you can check them out here Wiremybike Headlight Mod Slideshow

HL = HeadLight

LB = Low Beam

HB = High Beam

LB-LB/HB = Low Beam or Low Beam AND High Beam

First thing to do is decide...do you want to go from LB-LB/HB to LB-HB/HB or LB-LB/HB/HB (6 filaments).....Having 6 filaments going in high beam can be a bit of a stress, about 8 more amps worth. As this would only be when you are using High Beams it should not be an issue....but it is YOUR choice.

I chose to go for the LB-HB/HB option...which you would think would be easier/cheaper than the 6 filament option, but it isn't. It requires a different HB relay. Not a problem, I have dozens of them from the VFRness/Auxiliary Fuse Panel kit building. My Garage is NOT neat/clean/eat off the floor worthy(not that I haven't at times), but I like it....I call it my Mad Scientist shop:

hl_mod_mad_scientist_station.jpg

On to the actual modding....First thing I did was blatently take the work of others and apply it to my situation. In this case banned! created a mod, it was lost some time ago, and Darth Bling recreated it here: Original Head Light Mod Thead I liked his Schematic...which I am terribly at drawing:

ModifiedHeadlight2.jpg

From this I determined I needed:

SPDT headlight capable relay...check

Wire...Check

Connectors...Check....errr...not all of them

I had to special order from overseas the HL Terminals. I bought enough for 15 HL upgrade harnesses...I will get more when/if needed. Working backwards the finished result is this:

Headlight Mod, 2002+ allowing High Beam in all 4 bulbs on high:

headling_mod___trunk_install___tensioner_056.jpg

This same kit, minus the Red wire and Relay bits allows 6 filaments on High Beam....LOTS of light:

2002%20up%206%20beam%20kit_0.jpg

To install is just a matter of undoing and redoing the wiring loom. First locate the HB and LB relays....they are here (far right is LB, far left is HB..this is post install so the HB relay is different):

hl_mod_finished_relays.jpg

Remove the tape from the LB and HB relays, and from the HL connectors(Low Beam only)

hl_mod_runwrapping.jpg

We start with the HB relay...remove it and it's rubber overcoat from the bike, and disconnect it:

hl_mod_hb_relay_removal.jpg

next remove the wires from the connector...sounds simple doesn't it??? well first I made this little shim, from a piece of a computer power supply casing. You could probably use something else....jewelers screwdriver perhaps:

hl_mod_terminal_removal_tool.jpg

Simply slide it down the back side of the terminal, where the catch is, and pull the wire out. Don't force it, things don't go well when you do that. Trust me:

http://wiremybike.com/Slideshows/VFR%20200...g_terminals.jpg

After all are removed, toss the relay and connector aside....you can keep them for spare somethings later...now you have wires like this:

hl_mod_hb_relay_wires_off.jpg

See that Red w/black wire? That connectors your LB and HB relays. We don't want it to do that, so we clip off the LB side of the wire (double check, then check again)

hl_mod_removing_lb_connection.jpg

Next disconnect the LB relay, and remove the other end of that Red w/black wire. Discard it as well, we won't be needing it anymore.

From here on my pictures, and my kit are not 100% the same, as I was not afraid to solder connectors right on my bike, especially as I had to be at work and needed lights.....but you get the same place either way....

Now we need to start connecting stuff back together. First we install the OEM wires into the included relay connector:

Red w/black(that we cut the one wire off) goes to pin #30 (power in)

OEM blue wire goes to pin 86 (this is from the HB switch)

Green goes to pin 85 (ground)

Red wire from kit goes to pin 87A (Low Beam on standard)

Blue wire with pigtail goes to in 87 (high beam)

The original Blue w/Black wire then plugs into the pigtail.

Red wire from kit(other end) plugs into the LB relay, and plug it back in.

Using double sided tape already on Relay, mount it where the OEM HB relay was located.

Route the new Blue wire along the LB harnesses, shorter side is for the LH side of the bike(if sitting on it, not when looking at the relays) Re-tape the harness to make it pretty, using Electrical tape (not Duct/Galfers tape, not matter how much you love it).

Unwrapped left side:

hl_mod_right_side_lb_wires_unwrapped.jpg

Next open the little tabs on the LB headlight connectors...see the empty spot?:

hl_mod_inside_connector_pre_mod.jpg

Thats where our new Blue wire goes:

hl_mod_terminal_in_2.jpg

I had to use pliars to adjust the terminal just a bit so it would fit in, then to seat it as well:

hl_mod_adjusting_terminal_.jpg

hl_mod_high_beam_terminal_in.jpg

Once finished, repeat with the other side, finished result should look like this:

hl_mod_finished_low_beam_connectors.jpg

From here on its a cake walk....just button everything back up, and enjoy your now Modded lights.

This MOD is NOT reversible without some electrical knowledge, but has no reason to BE reversed either. I have not yet worked out how to make the LB-LB/HB/HB or LB-HB/HB option user selectable with a switch, but it could be done to invoke the extra 2 filaments only when desired. Wouldn't be hard, just not done yet.

This mod is for sale, if you don't wish to repeat the build process.

$20 for the LB-HB/HB mod, $15 for the 6 filament mod, plus shipping of course.

Click here to buy

• Member Contributer
On to the actual modding....First thing I did was blatently take the work of others and apply it to my situation. In this case banned! created a mod, it was lost some time ago, and Darth Bling recreated it here: Original Head Light Mod Thead I liked his Schematic...which I am terribly at drawing:

ModifiedHeadlight2.jpg

DPDT headlight capable relay...check

Wire...Check

Just looking for clearification, is that schematic from Darth's thread? Which mod does it represent?(EDIT: It is the LB-HB/HB) Why do you need a DPDT relay when the schematic shows a SPDT?

Neat mod though, if I ever take the front end of my bike apart, I might just do this.

Guest itwrx

I did the mod a while ago and must say I liked it better before. The problem is the low beam filament is designed for the reflector. I found that with my high beams on I loose the light directly in front of the bike. With my low beams I can see the road nice and clear (Pot holes other road hazards) but when I put on the high beams I get a dark spot about 30ft in front of the bike. Lots of light way out but not where you need it in my opinion.

Im going to set it back to stock wiring and install a set of HID in the low beams.

just my .02

ModifiedHeadlight2.jpg

DPDT headlight capable relay...check

Wire...Check

Just looking for clearification, is that schematic from Darth's thread? Which mod does it represent?(EDIT: It is the LB-HB/HB) Why do you need a DPDT relay when the schematic shows a SPDT?

Neat mod though, if I ever take the front end of my bike apart, I might just do this.

Good catch, I meant SPDT, and that is what I used. That is the Schematic from Darths Thread, as mentioned. It is the LB-HB/HB as the 6 filament mod doesn't require a change in relay.

I did the mod a while ago and must say I liked it better before. The problem is the low beam filament is designed for the reflector. I found that with my high beams on I loose the light directly in front of the bike. With my low beams I can see the road nice and clear (Pot holes other road hazards) but when I put on the high beams I get a dark spot about 30ft in front of the bike. Lots of light way out but not where you need it in my opinion.

Im going to set it back to stock wiring and install a set of HID in the low beams.

just my .02

I wondered about the focus, and honestly haven't ridden at night yet to check. I think you will find the HID mod doesn't help either, as the reflector is definitely not designed for HID and you get holes in the vision.

Undoing the MOD wouldn't be that hard really, although it would require terminal end changing.

• Member Contributer

just my .02

The Low is supposed to use the reflector, but since the H4 highbeam is still in the same bulb, shouldn't that still project to the same place, just brighter?

Guest itwrx

just my .02

The Low is supposed to use the reflector, but since the H4 highbeam is still in the same bulb, shouldn't that still project to the same place, just brighter?

That is what I thought but there is a drastic difference. I think it is the location of the filament within the bulb. it doesn't use the reflector correctly. I thought Honda was crazy for not doing it from the factory but now i "see" why LOL

• Member Contributer

When I did the this mod (all 6 filaments burning) myself a year or so ago, I checked battery voltage. With all 6 lights, grip heaters on high, and my GPS on, I was actually discharging the battery. I think it was around 11.7 volts DC, but this was at idle. I haven't done any "beefin' up of da wires" but it was up close to 13 volts at 4k rpm. So, I now don't ride with the high beams on like I use to, and I never sit and idle (stop sign or stop light) with the high beams on either. The light output is GREAT, and I have no plans of ever going back to stock. YMMV

When I did the this mod (all 6 filaments burning) myself a year or so ago, I checked battery voltage. With all 6 lights, grip heaters on high, and my GPS on, I was actually discharging the battery. I think it was around 11.7 volts DC, but this was at idle. I haven't done any "beefin' up of da wires" but it was up close to 13 volts at 4k rpm. So, I now don't ride with the high beams on like I use to, and I never sit and idle (stop sign or stop light) with the high beams on either. The light output is GREAT, and I have no plans of ever going back to stock. YMMV

Discharging at a low idle (under 1300) isn't uncommon or even wrong. I figured out how to make a 3rd part that would allow me to chose(on install) or change later from option to option. (move red wire from HB to LB onto the HB input, as it is OEM, using a short pigtal cable, leaving that pin empty)

I finally rode in the dark....light was just fine, and definantly brighter and in different areas, but I didn't feel I lost a ton of short range, no dark spots.

Guest itwrx
I finally rode in the dark....light was just fine, and definantly brighter and in different areas, but I didn't feel I lost a ton of short range, no dark spots.

Yeah that short range light is what I want back. I don't feel the light I gain in distance was worth the cost of my short range light. Before I did the mod I had upgraded all four bulbs to Piaa bulbs. Not cheap but HUGE difference in light. Long and short distance light. Im going to go back to stock wiring for now..

Yeah that short range light is what I want back. I don't feel the light I gain in distance was worth the cost of my short range light. Before I did the mod I had upgraded all four bulbs to Piaa bulbs. Not cheap but HUGE difference in light. Long and short distance light. Im going to go back to stock wiring for now..

Why not use all 6 filaments? Get the best of all worlds!

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm considering doing this myself soon, and definitely the all-six-filaments version. It should be a healthier option for the stator and regulator - about 300 watts consumed total which should cause the regulator to be regulating a lot less, and therefore putting less stress on the stator.

I'm considering doing this myself soon, and definitely the all-six-filaments version. It should be a healthier option for the stator and regulator - about 300 watts consumed total which should cause the regulator to be regulating a lot less, and therefore putting less stress on the stator.

I have stopped selling them as there are cases where it goes into discharge mode.