For Those Wondering How Loud A Gutted Exhaust Is...

Guest klinquist

Guest klinquist

So I just installed a gutted exhaust I got from another VFRD member for a heck of a deal.

I purchased a sound meter for $.99. It's an iPhone application smile.gif.

I held the phone in my left hand (arm extended) while on the right side of the bike with my right hand on the throttle.

Stock exhaust: Idle was 63dB. 4300rpm was 74dB.

Gutted exhaust: Idle was 73dB. 4300rpm was 80dB.

This was in my garage with the door 1/2 way open, so that may have had an effect on things.

It'll take some getting used to.. man, it sounds like a frickin corvette with exhaust/cams/headers. I LIKE IT!

On the freeway, I can hear the low rumble just a teeny bit... probably not at all at higher speeds. I have a feeling I'll be setting off a car alarm or two in parking lots..

• Member Contributer
I have a feeling I'll be setting off a car alarm or two in parking lots..

Doubt it. I have a gutted exhaust with catless headers (making it even louder) and it still barely matches up to some of the stock supersports my buddies have. I really don't think you're going to have to worry about setting off alarms (unless they're waaaay sensitive).

Very cool info regarding the dB level, though. Resourceful!

Guest yeswill2k
I have a feeling I'll be setting off a car alarm or two in parking lots..

Doubt it. I have a gutted exhaust with catless headers (making it even louder) and it still barely matches up to some of the stock supersports my buddies have. I really don't think you're going to have to worry about setting off alarms (unless they're waaaay sensitive).

Very cool info regarding the dB level, though. Resourceful!

Just out of curiousity, where did you get the catless headers, and how much were they?

• Member Contributer
Just out of curiousity, where did you get the catless headers, and how much were they?

It was either from a member here or off of eBay. I think I paid mid-200s for them. I can't exactly recall... :blink:

• Member Contributer

This a mod I came up with several years ago. 98-99 5gen headers are the only stock ones that will bolt up to the 6gen and don't have a cat. A couple of aftermarket companies also sell 'em but higher costs. Do a search, plenty of threads about this.

+1 on the interesting dB measurements.

• Member Contributer

That's good info... With all of the talk about loud pipe inspections happening in Mass, I was curious to know.

Guest Dsquared

how do you gut exhaust? Do you mean ripping out the insides of the cans? I don't really know too much about moding. Thanks

Guest supertex

My 87 came with a gutted exhaust can on a 4-2-1 and will not pass California's db laws. I don't know exactly what it was puttin out but standing behind it at 7000 rpm you wouldn't hear yourself talking.

Guest klinquist
how do you gut exhaust? Do you mean ripping out the insides of the cans? I don't really know too much about moding. Thanks

Yep - search the forum for 'gutted' and you'll find a wealth of info.