6th Gen Side Exhaust?

angst

Has anyone seen or made a system for the 6th gen that eliminates the under-seat system altogether and just has a shortie can coming right out of the cat, similar to how the R6 looks?

2008%20r6%204.jpg

I know it defeats the purpose of the undertail design that really shows off the SSS, but the stock cans are really rather bulky, and all of the aftermarket cans aren't that much smaller. I think a stubby side can that mounts right to the cat and sticks out just behind the rearset might look nice... though with as low as the pegs are, I don't know if there's even room for this concept...

Thoughts on this?

• Member Contributer

Go for it. It's your bike and you have the right to be different. Take pics and post up when finished. :biggrin:

You can always get a custom pipe run done from the cat to make the clearance you want. It just depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Find a muffler shop with mandrel bending capabilities and see what they would recommend.

• Member Contributer

Two things: you'll have two huge gaping holes now and you'll have to remove the exhaust to remove the wheel (just like the stock 3/4/5gens).

How about finding a used aftermarket 6gen set and cut the cans down to your liking?

• Member Contributer

I'm sure you could rig up a shorty can to come out of the cat, where the stock mid pipe goes. Any exhaust shop can bend a small piece of pipe to suit your needs.

But I think the 6th gen tail would look funny with no exhaust, so that's something you'll have to look into.

You could do what I did. I saved a considerable amount of weight off the stock exhaust, but it is quite loud.

I'm considering putting two shorty cans where my current exhaust tips are. I also have a set of 2008 R1 underseat cans that I may adapt to fit. Not sure which route I'll go yet.

Good luck...

PIC-0404.jpg

alienartifacts003.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here is my version. I did as was discussed above; ordered a titanium exhaust for another bike (TiForce GSX-R600/750 K6/K7) and had an exhaust shop bend up a mid-pipe out of stainless.

gallery_10025_3789_210353.jpg

DSC00278.JPG

gallery_10025_3789_53151.jpg

DSC00279.JPG

I intend to have it shortened to tighten the whole operation up.

Here are a few other muffler options I have thought about:

Laser's Xtreme GP (Yamaha R6)

LASER_XTREME_07_b.jpg

M4 GP (Yamaha R6)

Akrapovic Megaphone (R6)

Yes, it does leave a gaping hole under the tail. It is my intention to build a new tail, adding the equivalent of a large "undertail" to smooth the bottom and slim the whole thing. However, I live in an apartment and don't have the facilities to create molds and fiberglass right now. And I'm lazy.

Lacy

I've been meaning to talk to my friend Nils over at Jama about how I could fashion these to come off the cat and end up behind the right boot...

LASER_XTREME_07_b.jpg

Can you say: Moto GP???? +1.gif

Ya gotta admit, not having the pipes up top would really make the back end look like it was a mile away from the SSA! :wheel:

gallery_10025_3789_210353.jpg

DSC00278.JPG

That looks pretty hot!

I can appreciate the retro look of the single side can or even the GP look of the Lazers, but without the extra work required to change the look of the now amputated lines of the tail and worse the covering up of an 8 spoke, I cry foul!

Hopefully my 8 spoke will arrive soon...

Wow, thanks for all the replies! These are some great ideas.

VFR800R, your bike looks great with that TiForce can... shortening the pipe ought to make it look even better.

I like the M4 and Xtreme cans, but how loud are they? And how do you chose the right one for the VFR, just by equivalent engine size (GSXR750, Z750)?

Thanks!

• 8 years later...

Archived