Possible Vtec Track Bike Project!

Baileyrock

OK guys & gals, most of you know of my situation causing me to sell off my track bike etc. blah, blah, blah.

Well I got a wild hair and am thinking of using this project 04 Vtec for possible track use. I've had it for 3-4 years saving the engine for a time if I ever needed a spare motor for my bike because I don't plan to even check the valves. :cool:

vfrtrackproject09004.jpg

It was killed in a crash, but would still make a solid platform to build a track bike with parts already on hand. It already has catless headers on it and I would stripe off every possible pound of weight.

I have several questions, should I make it a regular type track bike maybe running RC51 track bodywork

Or make it an upright beater Tuono style?

Maybe like this?(per Seb)

gallery_491_1375_922433.jpg

Secondly has anyone run GSXR forks on a Vtec?

I have a nice 07 GSXR 600 front end available to use if desired?

vfrtrackproject09001.jpg

Gives me something to play with while I'm unemployed. :fing02:

Wow, I go take a half hour nap and you come up with this... lol!

My vote is to skip the bodywork & just make a small subframe. Maybe even add a set of motocross bars?

Can you use the F4i forks that are on there already?

• Member Contributer

Good idea BR! I have seen several mentions about the Ebay VFR fairing packages which look awesome and on the track, you'll look like you have full sponsorship. I have had this picture as a screen saver from time to time so this may give you some ideas. Good luck, JD

gallery_15237_4519_83557.jpg

6a00e3981df7fc883300e54f345a3b8834-800wi.jpg

Edited by leanit

My vote is to skip the bodywork & just make a small subframe. Maybe even add a set of motocross bars?

F4 forks are also available too.

I'm not to sure side mount rads would flow enough air w/o bodywork or proper ducting? :fing02:

If i go with an upright seating position than moto-x bars like FotoMotos bike are in line.

I would strip off every possible thing and run/build a minimal sub-frame enough to hold my azz and the slightest bracing for tail bodywork. :cool:

F4 forks are also available too.

I'm not to sure side mount rads would flow enough air w/o bodywork or proper ducting? :blush:

If i go with an upright seating position than moto-x bars like FotoMotos bike are in line.

I would strip off every possible thing and run/build a minimal sub-frame enough to hold my azz and the slightest bracing for tail bodywork. :happy:

You could stick some big Buell scoops on there! :happy:

:fing02: :cool:

I'm sure you could figure something out.

• Member Contributer

wow, that bike is hurt. I hope it's rider faired better. Looks like you will need all that extra time you have on your hands to rebuild that thing.

Some sweet looking forks though.

or make it an upright killer freakin' motorcycle like a Tuono?

Tuono! Italian for thunder. I fixed it for ya. Great Effing bike! :cool:

Keep just enough plastic to hide the really naughty bits.

Put on a motocross type handlebar that lets you sit up and beg. :happy:

Good luck on the job front BR. Perhaps it's time to start your own motorcycle salvage business or something.

Last I saw pics you had a decent start on the inventory in your house already. :fing02:

Guest GGray

What about front mounting a radiaotor from another bike?

I like fairings on bikes....

Looks like a cool project.

How light do you think you can get it?

Rode with a buddy today who had a Triumph 675 with a pipe. Sounds pretty neat. Compltey off topic :cool: I'm paintign his race glass..

Guest slowf2337

I would just keep parting stuff out and buy a more suitable bike for the track. If you did put it on the track do you have a decent shock to put on it?

I like it! I would vote to install the gixxer front end, some low clip ons, modify the RC51 front plastic, and maybe a CBR600RR tail to work with the undertail exhaust. And a homemade RC30 replica paint job.... Awesome track tool!

rc30-rf-800.jpg

Awesome track tool!

The Bike or BR? wink.gif

:ohmy: That was too funny Kev! :wub:

When I ever get some money I plan on a newer GSXR 750 as my next true track tool, but in the mean time and for little cash outlay I think I could have a fun, porky and decent track tool with that awesome V4 sound! :fing02:

I'm not sure how much weight could be chopped, but as a track bike only it would need only minimal pieces! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :biggrin:

My thoughts would be build the hard parts first! Get it running, and working, then figure out what you want to do with it. Once you get a chance to run it, you may want full fairings. On the other hand, go with it nekkid! It's already a VFR track bike, why try to make it conventional?

In any case, I think its a fun project and I can't wait to see you pass me on it!

• Member Contributer
For a full body kit I was thinking of modding this set to work as it has side rads like the VFR! :biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...T&viewitem=

The 51 design uses the central ram air intake for both the gauges and the fairing upper mounts as well as the obvious tank-to-mirror aluminum stay. It's really wide for a twin; especially compared to my old superhawks, so I'd think width issues would be minor. Rads should line up pretty close, I'd think. SuperHawkers have also done the 51 skin conversions.

• Member Contributer
Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :biggrin:

Go with something different and ride it naked.

Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :blink:

+1 :cool:

Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :cool:

I'm too damn old to risk it, I always wear Leathers! :blink:

Still no thoughts from anyone whether it should be of conventional full fairing tuck type configuration or an semi naked upright? :cool:

My thoughts would be build the hard parts first! Get it running, and working, then figure out what you want to do with it. Once you get a chance to run it, you may want full fairings. On the other hand, go with it nekkid! It's already a VFR track bike, why try to make it conventional?

In any case, I think its a fun project and I can't wait to see you pass me on it!

Kev, next time you have the bodywork off both the RC & VFR, let me know how close the RC race stuff fits a VFR! :blink:

What about front mounting a radiaotor from another bike?

I can look into that at some point, I haven't even brought the bike in from outside as I don't want to be too side tracked while looking for a job! :wheel: