Bearings - front wheel replacement

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

Replace bad wheel bearings I have been getting my bike ready for riding season, I had a warped front brake disk and it tore up one of my wheel bearings from all the rattling when I used the brakes. I don't know if the disk warped first or the other way around. I just had a day of bike maintenance today, new chain, new tires, new bearings, new front disk, new pads.

Here is my new disk, see how poor of shape the oil seal is.

bearings01.jpg

You can tell your bearings are bad if you can move them back and forth or in or out, they should spin but not float around inside there.

Remove the brake disks 6mm hex 6 bolts.

bearings02.jpg

I pried out the oil seals with a large flat screwdriver, then pushed a rod thru the inside and made contact with the outer bearing and hammered it out. You have to move the rod around so you don't get the bearing twisted up.

bearings03.jpg

They were in bad shape that spacer needs to go back in, cleaned it up and greased it.

bearings04.jpg

It was rusty in there, I cleaned it up with some steel wool and greased it up.

bearings05.jpg

The new set $46 whew, I gotta find a cheaper source.

bearings06.jpg

My bearing hammer heads, I use the threaded rod to compress the bearings into the slot first.

bearings08.jpg

Make sure the bearing hammer is big enough to catch the outsides but not too big it wont fit.

bearings09.jpg

Compress

bearings10.jpg

The hammers have a handle on them you can attach and then bang the bearings in the rest of the way. I don't hammer them in right off the bat to keep them in strait and not damage them.

bearings11.jpg

Put in the spacer and do the other side.

• 7 years later...
Guest slowjoe64

Did the wheel bearings today. Well my friend let me help him change the bearings, I should say. Anyway, my rotors were okay so we didn't have to remove them. Also we didn't compact the bearings like you did. A little care banging it in with another spacer he had laying around. Probably not for the inexperienced.

Once the wheel was off the bike there is 15-20 mins of banging and looking for something to hammer with. I think the big part is just take your time, hammer smartly and save a lot of cash. The harder part was getting the tire off without a center stand. I took user "Old450" ideal http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/52613-lubing-the-chain/page__p__624964__fromsearch__1 (look at the bottom of the page) and built a stand for under $15.

The only bad part of my day was finding out the forks were leaking once the body work was off!

• Forum CEO

I spent a good hour taking off the tires, valve stems, dust seals, bearing and brake discs on a pair of wheels I got on ebay. Drove over to spectrum powerder works and they are going to strip and powdercoat them white for me. good prices!

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

• Member Contributer

I spent a good hour taking off the tires, valve stems, dust seals, bearing and brake discs on a pair of wheels I got on ebay. Drove over to spectrum powerder works and they are going to strip and powdercoat them white for me. good prices!

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

I've had that place bookmarked for a while. I ran across them when I was looking for a bicycle frame painter. Based on their gallery pics they do nice work!

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I got an allballs front wheel bearing kit and put them in today, but the seals that it came with just dropped in the on top of the bearing, I DID NOT have to tap them in. Then when I put the spacers in, the seals turn with the spacer instead staying put in the wheel.

This isn't right is it??

Do I call allballs and get some different ones, or should I just bite the bullet and order them from Honda?

Jason

Guest daemontrym

I would call them to make sure you have the right ones.. On my 4th Gen I had a hell of a time getting mine in and I had to tap them in with a rubber hammer and a wood dowl.

• Member Contributer

So I called All Balls today and it turns out the factory spec for the OD of the seal is 47.2mm and the seals in thier kit is a 47mm seal, there is the problem!! They are gonna make it right for me and send me the Honda OE seals on their dime which is GREAT!! A $16 bearing and seal kit and they have to order the $11 worth of seals and send them to me for FREE!

Glad I called them first and didn't just buy some OE seals on my own.

Jason

• 7 months later...
  • 11 years later...

^^ allballs uses the cheapest, worst bearing,s not good for wheel bearings as they will fail quickly..........unless you dont ride the bike.  failures were noted on other bike forums.

quality bearings come from USA, germany, japan, sweden ONLY

7-8-17_011.JPG.ff3a52055825f11b23841f7c00e0d778.thumb.JPG.9bb369f0cd7491ee2c79bbe7b411903c.JPG

• Like 1