My Journey Into Custom Paint.

spotthedogg

• Member Contributer

IMG_4698.jpg

So as some of you know I had my '03 torn apart due to an unfortunate wiring harness fire. It was bad but not the end of my bike by any means. The dealer came good and got me the replacement parts at no cost and didn't even put up a stink about me doing the work. At first they said "we will have to inspect and repair the bike" but I said no way it's apart in my garage and you aren't coming to get it.

IMG_4569.jpg

I proceeded to put it all back together and beef up the wiring, running great. Then a friend called me and said he wanted to buy a road bike (I own a bicycle shop) for spring but hoped we could barter for some paint work on my car or something. At first I said no I just got the car custom painted last year, then I got thinking hey let's play with the bike. I love the silver but wanted to personalize the look, I love white wheels (start groaning here, AND yes I will be asking "what's the most fling resistant lube")) I love the look of silver, white and black together and I love the layout of the 2007 RWB color scheme.

Three pictures of bikes that inspired me;

VFR400.jpg

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

2009_03_14_bikepics-1599552-full.jpg

So this is what I came up with in my head, Dutchy and my cousin helped by photo chopping for me.

Silver-White.jpg

I know it's going to look even better when it's done, I know colors will be much better. I also have some mods and ideas that I'm working on that will be different than the stock 2007 RWB picture we digitally modified. I will keep updating as I get closer to final assembly. I hope you enjoy the journey even if you don't love the colors. :rolleyes:

So far this is the only picture I have to share, the wheels are now white with a hint of pearl, there will be more pearl on the body.

100_2947.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I forgot to mention, my friend the body guy saw the melt damage on my original fairing and said "easy fix" so I now have a new in box right side fairing. Not sure what to do keep it for a spare or Ebay it.....

One more shot of the wheels

100_2955.jpg

• Member Contributer

Seb of all your bike pics I don't think I've seen that one, looks great. You guys are on to some of my secrets I see.......

Give me two weeks.

Here is an all important before picture.

MYVFRKGH.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am doing pearl and I was planning to do true black gloss in the stripes but the thought of the '06 black pearl never occurred to me. Also wondering if anyone has painted their chrome heat shield on the up-pipe? How do you break the chrome enough to get adhesion? I did sand it with 1000 to give it a brushed look but still thinking black header paint...

• Member Contributer

This info page on Dupont Teflon dry lubes also includes a chain specific version.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants...ts/dryfilm.html

oh crap, we're getting off topic. The paint job topic!

• Member Contributer

Now I really didn't want to post any pics until I had it back together but I opened my Inbox this morning and found ten new pics of body work on hangers. I'm not going to show them all yet but I just had to share a few with you guys!

100_2960.jpg

100_2961.jpg

100_2965.jpg

I am getting very excited to put her back together. He is letting it all dry this week then sanding and re-clearing next weekend. He wants me to wait two weeks after that to get it back together, it's going to be hard!

• Member Contributer
That bike is going to look awesome. I love the one of a kind look, and it looks like the guy is doing it right. Good Luck!

What is the name of your shop? and where is it? I am an avid cyclist (road&mtn). Maybe I could give you some business.

Thanks, my shop is pretty far away, it's called Incline Sports

www.inclinesports.ca

We should start a thread for those of us enjoying life on two wheels, self or petrol powered.

pic of the morning

100_2966.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'm curious... what would a custom paint job like that go for? Ball park?

Thanks...d

That I guess depends on the painter, any repairs need fixing etc. I think Vanion said he paid $1200US for his two tone. I am trading a new $1000 road bike for mine and he's a buddy.

• Member Contributer

Here is my best effort the pics aren't great. i guess I could have spent some more time stting up nice back drops :biggrin:

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

That's it, now you have seen everything I have, well except holding these pieces in my hands is much better. I can't tell you how smooth they are. I had my car custom painted last year, wet sanded buffed 4 coats of clear. This is way better, he said it just laid down awesome, no sanding or buffing!

• Member Contributer

OK,she's back together! I will take some better pictures soon, when the light and conditions are a bit better. I am very happy all in all, the stripe on the tank is a bit off I know but otherwise perfect job. I am extremely particular and some may say anal but I think I will get the tank re-done at some point to make the stripe perfect.

IMG_4982.jpg

IMG_4980.jpg

• Like 1

I'm curious... what would a custom paint job like that go for? Ball park?

Thanks...d

That I guess depends on the painter, any repairs need fixing etc. I think Vanion said he paid $1200US for his two tone. I am trading a new $1000 road bike for mine and he's a buddy.

+1 It definetely depends on painter and what you're doing. I am currently in the process of having mine painted and would cost about $1,800 - 2,500. I'm doing most of the work myself (I used to work at the body shop that is performing the work). The reason for some of the cost for me is that I'm doing a two tone, getting all of the graphics airbrushed instead of using Vinyl, and I'm using some candy paints that are a bit more expensive. FWIW I should be able to get it finished for $400-$600 :laugh: .

Edited by nvoges

• Member Contributer

Wonderful! I've been following the progress impatiently and now the reward!

The paint job turned out even better than I thought it would.

The rims are amazing and the front looks awesome. The headlights are accentuated and sort of evil grinning at you!

I'd say the tank stripe being slightly off is no big deal, at least not to an untrained eye.

Just a thought, how about a chain guard in the same colour as the fairing silver?

Congrats on a very unique VFR, possibly the coolest looking beauty out there! :blink:

• Member Contributer
Just a thought, how about a chain guard in the same colour as the fairing silver?

32-KSL246-gesamt.jpg

not silver but alumunium.....

Guest MakMan

Hey, Spot - I've ALSO been trying to follow your progress. What else can anyone say...? AbSoLuteLy Fkn MARVELOUS, Phenomenal, Incredible...!!! Frankly, words wouldn't seem to be able to do it Justice. One of THE Most Beautiful things I've seen in quite a while. Congrats, Man!

As some of the others, I'd also like to suggest that you keep us posted if you're going to make a trip further down the Coast. I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to see "her" in person, and frankly, it would be a priviledge to shake your hand! If you make it down into the Northeast, please let us know.

Would also like to pass something along in the "my 2¢ category". Looking at your shot of the left side, I noticed how nice the gold of the inner rotor & Nissin caliper stands out. When looking further back with the chain in view, I was wondering if you gave any thought to upgrading the chain to something that had some Gold accents in it, to pick up the rotor inners and calipers...? It might be something that you'd appreciate. :fing02:

Again, Kudos, Guy! What a Tremendous final outcome. Thank you for sharing this - I only wish I was in a position to do something similar.

Have a Great day, and Enjoy - you Deserve it, Man! :cool:

FANTASTIC...!!! :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Here are a few new pictures since the tank is repainted. it is super hard to get the line perfect around the bends but it's much better.

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg