Has Anyone Ever Seen Delkevic Headers

JES_VFR

• Member Contributer
2Bros & Erion are the same family.

How come the Delkevic site has them for 350 Brit lbs , which is about 700 US, but on Ebay they are 259 US? Hmmmmm.......

"Were" the same family would be more accurate, the way I heard it...

Although the exchange rate has since moved away from 2:1, it's still not 1:1. I think they're UKP200 on Ebay UK.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Could you run these on a sixth gen with o2 eliminators? I'll be watching for feedback on these.

I'm watching these header from some month, but I've other priorities :happy:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...n%3D4%26ps%3D42

for '00-01 too

http://cgi.ebay.it/HONDA-VFR800-VFR-800-EX...34.c0.m14.l1262

9481_1.JPG

actually, they are neither Delkevic nor Motad, they produce themself http://www.sandybikespares.co.uk/

(an italian mate inquired about, don't now if he have done the mod http://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/p6815365s.html#6815365 )

• 4 weeks later...

I think this has been sorted already, but neither of these are Motad exhausts. Just in case anyone was still unclear on that... :biggrin:

Additionally, we as a distributor have been watching your "conversation" here as we need to know if one of the many products we represent is still competitive in the market. Price is always a concern, but what we cannot get our hands on from anyone are actual "back to back" dyno graphs, to see how these exhausts perform on real world VFR's...

Does anybody have any graphs showing stock and then either of these pipes? Usual rules, same day, same dyno, no fuel adjustments, etc.

Just back to back's on the pipes to see how the curves look to stock?

We always want to represent good and well priced products, so we are needing some ammunition to see if we can "work" on our supplier a bit here...

Thanks!

Steve Larson

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

So was there ever a reply to the question of horsepower gains with either the Motad or the other headers? I would have to believe that there would be some sort of improvement even of the tube diameter is rather small just from getting rid of the cat. I have an Aprilia RST1000 as well as an '08 VFR and when I gutted the "breadbox" under the Aprilia's engine getting rid of the cat, there were definite gains as it would wheelie much easier with that mod alone.

I am considering installing a header but would really like to see some graphs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm watching these header from some month, but I've other priorities :unsure:

for '00-01 too

9481_1.JPG

actually, they are neither Delkevic nor Motad, they produce themself http://www.sandybikespares.co.uk/

I bought a set of these for my 96 VFR750, because they were half the price of Motad headers, and looked better made than the Delkevics. This is what I found looking down the pipe for the front left cylinder

IMG_2395.jpg

The pipe to the front right is constructed in a similar manner, but there's a bend in the pipe which makes it impossible to see the joint. I don't think they're going to improve the performance at all.

I emailed the manufacturer with my concerns and they replied that they had not had any complaints about power loss, and that if the headers were faulty they would replace them. It would cost me to send them back without knowing if they would be deemed faulty; and I suspect that any replacements would be similar. In the end I decided that it would be easier to grind away the excess metal using a Dremel. I'm still working on it but I'm not intending to replace the pipes until the winter anyway.

I'm watching these header from some month, but I've other priorities :unsure:

for '00-01 too

9481_1.JPG

I bought a set of these for my 96 VFR750, because they were half the price of Motad headers, and looked better made than the Delkevics. This is what I found looking down the pipe for the front left cylinder

IMG_2395.jpg

The pipe to the front right is constructed in a similar manner, but there's a bend in the pipe which makes it impossible to see the joint. I don't think they're going to improve the performance at all.

I emailed the manufacturer with my concerns and they replied that they had not had any complaints about power loss, and that if the headers were faulty they would replace them. It would cost me to send them back without knowing if they would be deemed faulty; and I suspect that any replacements would be similar. In the end I decided that it would be easier to grind away the excess metal using a Dremel. I'm still working on it but I'm not intending to replace the pipes until the winter anyway.

Dang!, that look like "gudenuff" engineering to the max! :blink:

Did Sandy Spares think that no one was ever going to look down their pipes and find out about this?? :blink: :angry:

They put enough effort in mitering the pipes together at those intersections, It boggles the mind why they just don't put just a little bit of more time even to just grind out the holes a little closer to pipe ID before welding

In the end, I guess you always get what you pay for. :dry:

Beck

95 VFR

FWIW, the Delkevic pipes do not have those crazy intersections - they're mandrel bent and join at a pair of collectors.

I agree, that is some horrible Monday morning engineering design.

• Member Contributer

I think this has been sorted already, but neither of these are Motad exhausts. Just in case anyone was still unclear on that... :biggrin:

Additionally, we as a distributor have been watching your "conversation" here as we need to know if one of the many products we represent is still competitive in the market. Price is always a concern, but what we cannot get our hands on from anyone are actual "back to back" dyno graphs, to see how these exhausts perform on real world VFR's...

Does anybody have any graphs showing stock and then either of these pipes? Usual rules, same day, same dyno, no fuel adjustments, etc.

Just back to back's on the pipes to see how the curves look to stock?

We always want to represent good and well priced products, so we are needing some ammunition to see if we can "work" on our supplier a bit here...

Thanks!

Steve Larson

Only have a graph of a Motad system with a Laser straight through carbon race pipe fitted....

VFR750 1992 FN model....

gallery_5025_556_61161.jpg

Base dyno run

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
I wonder if it would be possible ,that is if we found a company that previously made a set, for them to make a specified run for us. Somewhat like a group purchase.

TBR has been approached in the past by several VFR800 owners and asked if they would make another limited batch of the headers and the answer was a flat NO.

They are focused on building thousands and thousands of systems for Gixxers and CBR's and the like.

I'm not sure if Erion Racing was ever approached though. Might try them.

AND, Borla (the car exhaust guys) also used to make a full stainless system for the VFR800. I asked them myself if they'd do a short group run of them, answer, NO.

i can get them done for sure if we had 5-6 people in. they will be SS and ceramic coated. they will not have all the chopped parts and won't have inner scrap parts either. they also will not cost $250, more like $600 i bet. i think for that peice you can't go wrong on those other ones as materials cost more then $200

would like to make a full exhaust for the viffer too so let me know anybody if there is some interest

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I wonder if it would be possible ,that is if we found a company that previously made a set, for them to make a specified run for us. Somewhat like a group purchase.

TBR has been approached in the past by several VFR800 owners and asked if they would make another limited batch of the headers and the answer was a flat NO.

They are focused on building thousands and thousands of systems for Gixxers and CBR's and the like.

AND, Borla (the car exhaust guys) also used to make a full stainless system for the VFR800. I asked them myself if they'd do a short group run of them, answer, NO.

i can get them done for sure if we had 5-6 people in. they will be SS and ceramic coated. they will not have all the chopped parts and won't have inner scrap parts either. they also will not cost $250, more like $600 i bet. i think for that peice you can't go wrong on those other ones as materials cost more then $200

would like to make a full exhaust for the viffer too so let me know anybody if there is some interest

Anything ever come of this?

I cant speak for any VFR as of yet, but I do have experience with a Delkevic header. After I acquired my 1998 Yamaha YZF600R, i decided to find a header to couple with the Yosh slip-on so I could complete the exhaust system (in my roundabout way to couple this mod with a K&N air filter so I could justify a stage 1 jet kit for the carbs). The clear impression I got off of the Delkevik header is definitely "good-nuff" engineering. It's obviously a cheap chinese header, not quite the quality youd find with say, a full 2 bros or yosh system, but it also doesnt seem to be a piece of junk yard crap, either. The fitment on the 600R was a little lacking, as it had to be shimmed to get the header flanges to seal correctly to the head, but in the end, the header fits the yosh slip on fine, and the bike runs like a freakin top (and i gotta admit, for a soul-less I4, it does sound pretty cool around 6k on the tach, too).

This is not to say that the VFR products from this manufacturer will be similar or not, this is just me sharing my experience with this particular brand of product. Good, not great, but at least better than stock.

• 5 months later...

Anything ever come of this?

I am new to the forum and just picked up an '09 VFR800 on sunday. I would certainly be interested in a quality set of headers and would love to jump on-board this opportunity. Is anyone still interested?

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes - I have a set hanging on my garage wall! They fit about as well as one would expect a Chinese copy to fit i.e., not well. After a bit of force, sweat and cussing, they were on but the leaks were all over. I took them off and they've been on my wall ever since. I have a set of stock headers that were Hot-Jet coated and they fit great and don't leak!

Regards

Mac Morgan

PS Attached is a shot of the Danmoto pipe. Welds are great, sounds like an RC212 and costs $179.00 including freight from China!!

post-11250-0-39029400-1326821672.jpg

• 2 months later...

To quote an earlier post, you get what you pay for. Having said that, they work and they're inexpensive. I've used a header set from Delkevic on my ZX7 restoration, I have a set on my 07 VFR800 and on my 93 VFR750. They seem to be almost exact copies of the OEM headers only made in stainless. All of the expected heat shield mounts, O2 sensor bungs, bends, curves, brackets are all in the right place and work fine. The bottom line, would I buy them again? yes. As I've proven twice now. Do I expect "world class" quality? No, but I can say it's not total Chinese junk.

Of course, you have to ask all of the specific questions before you buy. My ZX7 complete system including headers and silencer didn't come with a muffler band/clamp so I had to call Luke to correct that. My 07 VFR came with downtubes, gaskets and O2 sensor bungs even though all prior reviews on another VFR forum said otherwise. My 93 headers came with nothing and I had to order the down tubes separately and there were no gaskets and the rear cylinder "coupling" tubes were not included. Hit or miss so I have Luke from Delkevic on speed dial. Overall, as a company, the U.S. distributor is good enough. Not great. If you asked me before I ordered my 93 headers, I would say they were a very good company with very good customer service. But after the my most recent experiece with my 93 VFR headers, I've lost a significant amount of faith in the service part of Delkevic. The parts still work fine.

Delkevic (sounds a bit like "Akrapovic", doesn't it...) is the own brand of DK Motorcycles, a huge motorcycle breakers (salvage yard)/parallel importer in the UK. They are not Motads; they are made somewhere in Asia (Motads are made in the UK). I've never had a set in my hands, but I've heard several stories about their, er, variable quality. I was just reading a thread on ST-Owners.com about someone puzzling about a 5/16" mismatch in some Delkevic ST1100 flanges... Make sure you've got a solid importer if you buy them--they might have to go back a time or two!

Motad and Predator, though, are effectively the same. I bought a set of VFR800 headers from Predator in January and they came in a Motad box... Both only claim to be OEM replacement headers, not performance headers, so I wouldn't (and don't) expect more performance than OEM. TBR headers (no longer made) were supposedly designed for enhanced performance, but it was never totally clear how much actual performance development went into their design.

Ciao,

perfectly described- saves me some typing

we supply Predator with some of their items as these headers are one of the items we make

Delkevics are made in China- a lot of their models for bikes other than VFR look just like Motad (wonder how that is), the VFRs are different. Have never been able to get a power curve from them- i wonder why?

Archived