Rear Wheels/tires, The End All Discussion

dallasb

Question

There seems to be a lot of questions about rear wheel and tire sizes and fitment, here is the answers to all who inquire, please correct me if I make a mistake.

Rear wheel ID picture

gallery_4071_2768_24337.jpg

vfrwheels.JPG

3rd Gen wheels, 90-93, the infamous 8-spoke

Size: 17"x5.5"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: 13.1 lbs

4th gen, 94-97

Size: 17"x5.0"

OE Tire: 170/60-17

Tire recommendations: 170/60-17 is recommended for the 5.0" rim, a 180 will work, but won't be as stable handling in hard cornering. Some may argue this, the 180 will work, but I think the 170 is a better choice.

Fitment: Will fit all VFR's 90-09 without any problems

Weight: approx 12 lbs, please confirm me this.

5th & 6th Gen, 98-01, 02-09

Size: 17"x5.5"

OE Tire: 180/55-17

Tire recommendations: 180/55-17 is the best handling tire you can put on a 5.5" rim, nothing else.

The 170 will not put as big of a rubber contact patch down when cornering hard. The 190 tire will be too big, not as stable handling in hard cornering.

Fitment: Interchangable between 98-09 no problem, and will fit 90-97 with notching modification to hub mounting surface.

The bolts for the brake rotor stick out instead of being flush, as shown in pic. This mod has been shown, use the search feature.

Weight: 13.1 lbs

gallery_4071_2768_16398.jpg

vfrhubs.JPG

Edited by dallasb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Trackdog said:

Cut the chain?, because you re positioned the eccentric?

I don't wanna make any assumptions, but did you shorten a stock factory chain, or, did you custom cut a new/replacement chain.

I was thinking bigger tire, longer chain, no?

Nervous about going thru the trouble of mounting it just to see if it fits.

I just bought the bike and it has OEM chain,sprockets, exhaust

I just stuffed a much bigger tyre on my DR350 than recommended, but that was an easier job than this.

It was just a  "F" it and try it it job.

I think the 60 being more "peakier" will improve handling a couple ways, turn in easier, and may be able to,  when needed to,  ride a little softer.

I should probably get EXACT clearance measurements and see if I can find the difference between the 55 and 60 size.

I was hoping someone would say, "ya I did it" and fits...lol

My first VFR.....

180/55-17 180/60-17                            Difference
Diameter inches (mm) 24.8 (629.8) 25.5 (647.8) 0.71 (18) 2.9%
Width inches (mm) 7.09 (180) 7.09 (180) 0 (0) 0%
Circum. inches (mm) 77.9 (1978.58) 80.12 (2035.12) 2.23 (56.55) 2.9%
Sidewall Height inches (mm) 3.9 (99) 4.25 (108) 0.35 (9) 9.1%
Revolutions per mile (km) 813.39 (505.41) 790.78 (491.37) -22.6 (-14.04) -2.8%

Yes. A new chain. I fitted a longer shock that was, also, extended as long as I could and made a gearing change. 

Yes. The tire is definitely pointier and is amazing to ride. It’s definitely worth whatever effort it “may” require. 

The top pic shows the lower eyelet nearly contacting the suspension link. The bottom pic shows how much of a meat the 180/60 is. 

5D93E088-37DB-4A36-B059-DE49A393E984.jpeg

A44AE103-C7F5-426F-802F-7564D18BA239.jpeg

Ya, that tyre looks like money WSBR!

That is one damn good looking VFR! Holy Shit!

Not to go off topic, but, Who's exhaust are you running?  The can has to be mounted solid, so probably $$$.

Did you have the wheels powdered? Price?

This is my first VFR and is going to be primarily my "B" bike.

All of my machines are kept in minty condition. I was thinking I could do a rain day ride with this bike and not worry.

Maybe see the track, the reason for the 60.

Pirelli has a couple good 60's. I wonder why some of the other MFG's don't offer it?

• Member Contributer
On 6/14/2021 at 7:37 AM, Trackdog said:

Ya, that tyre looks like money WSBR!

That is one damn good looking VFR! Holy Shit!

Not to go off topic, but, Who's exhaust are you running?  The can has to be mounted solid, so probably $$$.

Did you have the wheels powdered? Price?

This is my first VFR and is going to be primarily my "B" bike.

All of my machines are kept in minty condition. I was thinking I could do a rain day ride with this bike and not worry.

Maybe see the track, the reason for the 60.

Pirelli has a couple good 60's. I wonder why some of the other MFG's don't offer it?

Sorry for the delay. I have company, this week, and haven’t been surfing the web. 

Thank you, for the compliment. I’m quite proud of it.

Now, I have a VFRD header with a modified Staintune. I found the muffler at a salvage yard, by itself. Without the original hanger, I just welded a piece of flat, bar stock to the subframe to support the muffler. Since I wasn’t going to run passenger pegs and my new mount was plenty rigid, I removed the passenger peg mounting from the midpipe, for a cleaner look. 

The wheels have three layers of powdercoat; base color, transparent metallic, and clear. I can’t remember the price, but, it wasn’t cheap. 

The 60-series is primarily a track-oriented size and profile. Given the decline in middleweight sportbike sales and not seeing the size on showroom bikes, it leaves only a track-focused tire company like Pirelli to carry the torch. Pirelli and Michelin attributes aren’t too far apart for mere mortals, so I’m good with Pirelli’s offerings. 

Very nicely done!

I'm not sure my VFR needs the 60.

If I do a track day, I'll use the S4R.

I rode my VFR for the first time Thursday. No complaints with the 55

• Like 1