Give Your 5th-gen A Boost...

toro1

• Member Contributer
I'm 5th in line (deposit paid etc) to go on my '01.

Cool, a kit ordered by a first time poster to this site. Welcome and I hope you stick around to give us reports about the first Supercharged VFR in the UK!

Guest alvintc
Cool, a kit ordered by a first time poster to this site. Welcome and I hope you stick around to give us reports about the first Supercharged VFR in the UK!

1st time poster, long time lurker! (Back from when toro 1st broke this!)

Currently have been collecting bits..

FYI

It's a 2001 (Fi1) - Silver

New Ohlins waiting to go on

PCIII USB (needed for the kit)

Carbon fibre hugger

Powerlet (stem)

Givi full luggage (e52 & 2 E360's)

Zumo 660 on order

Things to do:

Front - discussing options now

Intercom - again in the air, leaning towards BT2 but waiting to see what Starcoms new wireless system does...

Edited by alvintc

• Member Contributer
I'm 5th in line (deposit paid etc) to go on my '01.

Well, I'm supposedly #3...but the bike this is for lives in California.

It's getting very close to May...

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alvintc

It's May next week.... :biggrin:

I think I'm cursed... not only is this kit having supplier problems.. my 660 still hasn't arrived yet either!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest bigjay

ive read this whole thing since I joined, and this kit may very well be the reason I end up getting a 98-99 instead of a 6th gen if I upgrade from my 95, or add a new bike and give the 95 to the wife ( whom i am determined to turn into a rider at some point) I am all for supercharging stuff. I did a paxton on my 99 camaro.. blowers rock!! anyone have this installed yet?

• Member Contributer

It's May next week.... :laugh:

I think I'm cursed... not only is this kit having supplier problems.. my 660 still hasn't arrived yet either!

supplier problems??

Guest alvintc

It's May next week.... :beer:

supplier problems??

Yep,

Been in contact with Toro and he's working on it!

As soon as I get the kit I'll let you know, then hopefully I'll update with some nice dyno curves and a Brit ride report :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alvintc

Kit delivered today, very well packed and very complete... unfortunately due to the delays (understandable) I won't be getting it fitted until August.... Will update as soon as it's done!

Guest alvintc
Pictures? Better excuses for not having it fitted this afternoon???

I am sure you are envied by most of the other VFR owners now...

Basically, there's a guy @ the other end of the country (Dave) who I'd like to do the work... he's not available until then!

Once done the bike'll be:

VFR 800 Fi1

AA Perf supercharger

Ohlins rear

Staintunes

V-Tec front

PCIII

Givi wingrack

Zumo 660

Edited by alvintc

Pictures? Better excuses for not having it fitted this afternoon???

I am sure you are envied by most of the other VFR owners now...

Basically, there's a guy @ the other end of the country (Dave) who I'd like to do the work... he's not available until then!

Once done the bike'll be:

VFR 800 Fi1

AA Perf supercharger

Ohlins rear

Staintunes

V-Tec front

PCIII

Givi wingrack

Zumo 660

I'm sorry...did I just drool on my keyboard? :goofy:

Got my final piece today, charger map is loaded, no wet spots below, slight wining from belt, helmet on......

Ill try to post a riders report soon. :fing02:

If only i knew how to ul pics...

Got my final piece today, charger map is loaded, no wet spots below, slight wining from belt, helmet on......

Ill try to post a riders report soon. :biggrin:

OOOHHH!!!!

GALLERY HELP

Did i say "if i only knew..." I meant to say, if i only had the time to wait for my big pictures to UL.

I had the first test run, fixed some bugs, and had my first wheelie below 8000 rpms ever on my black girl, and might i add, this girl has grown some serious torq down there. Im still in the break-in fase of this, so pics and more info will come.

BTW, any one having 7'th and 8'th gears for an 99 VFR lying around? wink.gif

Ill try to post a riders report soon. :ohmy:

OOOHHH!!!!

GALLERY HELP

Did i say "if i only knew..." I meant to say, if i only had the time to wait for my big pictures to UL.

I had the first test run, fixed some bugs, and had my first wheelie below 8000 rpms ever on my black girl, and might i add, this girl has grown some serious torq down there. Im still in the break-in fase of this, so pics and more info will come.

BTW, any one having 7'th and 8'th gears for an 99 VFR lying around? wink.gif

gallery_13175_4762_825739.jpg

Ill just start from the top on this one:

From the very start, with my head deeply buried inside the brown box this came in, this just smells like perfection! This is just very well thought through pre- and during production. Bravo Dan :biggrin:

The installation took me around 12 hors all in all, some minor mistakes, and disassembly / reassembly of parts had to be done. Some items needed the Dremel for sure, because the japanese did not make all of them 100 percent alike.

Now, after saving my old custom map and loading up the one for the charger, it made its first sound. Wow, you can really hear the difference from stock gas pump!

1 sec on the start button and the 4 force-feed cylinders just starts up and runs! Perfect, no stumbling, no restarts, nothing but good!

Goes without saying, but after the tear down of th TB, the starter-valves could do with a synchronization. Now it sounds like a twin when idling smile.gif

You can really tell the stock and the charged vfr apart. It now has a deep sound with some belt noise going well with the cam-gears.

Throttle response is excellent to, and the good old shaking from letting the clutch out on low rpm's has never been better.

Speaking of clutch, you really cant tell the stock springs apart, i have ridden my 1100xx alot lately, and my vfr is a WHOLE lot better in that department anyway.

So, even though it was bed time 4 hrs ago, i could not go to sleep now anyway.

Now here comes the thrust, or... Nope. keeping it below 6000 rpm, with no more than 1/4 throttle, it runs just a bit more self secure, there is positively a difference, but it is so extremely rideable, and so non frightening that i had to ask Dan a couple of Q's just to make sure it is supposed to be this harmless smile.gif I thought that i only had these 100 km's to make the break-in right, so i waited it out, gentle as i am.

130 km's in, i let it loose... 1'th gear, just gone, 2'd: power wheelie with a good dose of ignition cut (yes, it came faster than i was expecting), third: i need a steering damper, 4'th god damn... it just no more road. Good thing i had new EBC brakes on all wheels, cause nothing can stop this one now. And the rideability is just better than stock. going slow on the gas, and just making it run along up to approx. 6000 is just as good as it can ever be. Going further, with little throttle makes it feel a bit lean on the mixture actually, but twist a bit more and it just comes back. This is just the best time i ever had on any of my bikes.

And it just feels so, so very very right. There is no sign of the bike not handling it, the feeling i have is just that this kit just adds what the bike never had, or should have had. It feels like it will just continue to be this good forever, strange as i know my mechanics and what force feeding an engine with this kind of compression can possibly do. There is no weak sign, it does not feel like anything is on the peak of what it can take.

Having only about 250 km's, i have no doubt or second thought about taking her with me to Italy for a 6000 km ride, with bags and girls and 2 bottles of octane booster for the road.

Now that i have found my time to UL some photos of the install, i will try to attach a few (big, takes a lot of time!!!) and see what goes wrong.

Any one in doubt about this small modification? just stop it, the bikes design can go for many more years, but it needs an engine from this century, and Dan have the solution smile.gif

Gallery Image Link

Oh the details smile.gif

gallery_13175_4762_1432595.jpg

gallery_13175_4762_3125627.jpg

gallery_13175_4762_425603.jpg

Just had to be done!

index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=39813

So, i did not manage to attach the images somehow. Read the help files, but there is nothing here.

Click image tag button on the left, copy and paste url in my album folder, and then nothing? Not compatible with Firefox?gallery_13175_3567_2774482.jpg

DSCF4933.JPG

Tried editing my post and clicking the pics in the gallery post tool, did so in both firefox and explorer, still nothing... At least the charger kit works flawless smile.gif

Edited by WackenSS

• Member Contributer

Your pictures are successfully loaded in your photo gallery. Just use the "Gallery Post Tool" located at the bottom left of your edit screen to insert them into your post.

And after having looked through them....sick! :biggrin:

Beg/borrow/steal someone's camcorder and get some live footage! I think I will just wait for Toro's 6th Gen charger and forget about wanting another bike. :ohmy:

Guest Beaver

Your pictures are successfully loaded in your photo gallery. Just use the "Gallery Post Tool" located at the bottom left of your edit screen to insert them into your post.

And after having looked through them....sick! :biggrin:

Beg/borrow/steal someone's camcorder and get some live footage! I think I will just wait for Toro's 6th Gen charger and forget about wanting another bike. :blink:

I'm in the same boat, I have already started saving for my 6th gen kit :ohmy: . I know my insurance company is going to sting me though, it's already expensive enough in Australia to insure a motorbike (cheapest I could find -> Suncorp @ AUS$2500/yr) so I have no idea what a supercharged sport bike will do to my account...

Not to mention the price of the Mod-Plate required... :mad: But from what WackenSS has stated.. I'd say its worth it :happy:

Great stuff WackenSS!!! After the work Dan has put into this I expected it to be A1, your testimonial is proof of his level of professionalism.

I've always been on the fence about the kit, mainly for reasons of cost, but I'm starting to think that the restoration of my '69 Kombi (and maybe my kids education :biggrin: ) is going to be pushed back a few more years so I can fund a 5th/6th Gen and an A&A kit :ohmy: