Then we did some full-throttle runs and I posted this:

Hoo

Lee

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by GreenVFR

Guest GreenVFR

And that sums it up really!

The bike is fantastic, just fantastic. More than fast enough for the roads, easy to ride & make the most of and just bloody good fun. During our test runs on a 1 mile straight I passed a Blackbird (CBR1100XX) being ridden at a "normal" pace. I reached the other end of the straight, turned around, took my hlemet and gloves off and was busy talking to my friends before the BB rider came past.

We haven't had it on a dyno yet but with the narrower bore pipes on the FiY/Fi1 bikes compared to the FiW/FiX bikes I suspect it will be making a bit less than Toro's 160. If alvintc is game I've a plan for Phase II where we put some better downpipes (Headers I believe you non-English speakers call them tongue.gif ) a bigger LH radiator for better cooling and some bigger brake discs.

Need to to start saving for my own kit now. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Been thinking about this kit for a while now...maybe by the time the 6th-gen kit is (ever?) ready, I'll be ready to buy. None of the new bikes out there really interest me, especially not for 12-15k.

Kinda wondering about spare parts availability down the road though...

• Member Contributer

I have been to the UK VFR board in the past. My recollection is GreenVFR is the technical authority there. In other words that opinion is from someone who knows a lot about VFRs and has a special affection for them.

• Member Contributer
I have been to the UK VFR board in the past. My recollection is GreenVFR is the technical authority there. In other words that opinion is from someone who knows a lot about VFRs and has a special affection for them.
Do keep up, mate! You're right, but GreenVFR was exiled from the UK-based HondaVFRClub over a year ago; I was actually permanently banned from there last week...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
Do keep up, mate! You're right, but GreenVFR was exiled from the UK-based HondaVFRClub over a year ago; I was actually permanently banned from there last week...

Ciao,

Sounds like a pair of awesome (or lame) stories...

I took my buddies 636 out the other week. I need a kit. And to retune my suspesion (upgrade it). But I need more power!

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

So what was your crime?

The "no fucking swearing" rule? :491: :cool:

Guest GreenVFR
So what was your crime?

The "no fucking swearing" rule? :excl: :fing02:

We discovered the guy who owns / runs the place (Wiz) was a lying fraudster who'll only tolerate people who don't ask awkward questions. My crime was asking questions, JZH dared to pass comment on dissapearing threads and the masking of the truth. About 80 other people have been turfed out too.

Much more important than Wiz bullying his forum users though, here's a photo of the supercharger being bolted onto alvintc's bike :angry:

CIMG6100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so.

quick update while work permits (always the same).

's alright is this kit.

Lets start with the whole hard to describe.. I disagree. It's very easy to describe how it feels, it just may be hard to understand.

OK, everyone has seen the dyno's right? So you all understand just how linear the power comes in, there's no fear, no rush just very very rapid progress. So what does it feel like? Easy, feels like someone chucked 500 cubes on the bike. Simple.

Well, no not really. Because although that's what it feels like, what it really feels like is that low revs it feels the same as before* for every couple of hundred revs it increases it feels like a few more cubes are there. Make sense?

Fuel consumption it's slightly worse (I'm talking 20 miles per tank), however before the kit went on my air filter & oil were both sorely past their sell by dates...

Heat. Heat is an issue I'll need to address, for me I'm thinking a custom rad on the left will help but as I live in London, too much traffic & not enough air.

Dave's already mentioned the problems we (he!) had fitting the kit and what needed to be done to over come this (this was the first FiY/ Fi1), I'll post a pic when I get 20 mins.

Mods as they stand:

PC3

Supercharger

V-Tec front

Ohlins rear

Goodridge hoses

Wingrack

Zumo 660

As sports tourers go it's a giggle :D

* mine stumbles a bit at low revs, but I've a feeling when I have time & funds a couple of dyno sessions should sort it.

Edited by alvintc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alvintc
That's a beautiful dyno graph Alvin. What was the baseline? Or did you have one done?

186 MPH??? :dry: :ph34r: :fing02:

No baseline I'm afraid, it's also been on there a little while & done a few miles so it's nicely settled.

I'm also thinking the dyno over reads... as 170 seems way over the mark.

I'm hoping to get it on a more respected Dyno for an actual setup session at the end of the month.

However the day was good. Initially dyno guys apologised as the machine was broken (they didn't notice the stealthy install). They requested me to take my luggage off which was a shame!

Notable results for the shoot out (was at the Ace Cafe, London):

Viff = 170.4

GSXR1000 = 165.9 (no idea the mods past race cans)

CBR1000 = 151 & change (cans)

R1 ('00) = 125.6 (Akrapovic system possibly more that I couldn't see)

Guest alvintc
This is so great... I feel like a kid waiting for this.

Any word on the heat issues?

Did another flush the other week & it's better but still runs warm. I'll be giving the fan swap mod a try when I get round to it, I'm also planning a bigger left-hand rad in the new year which should pretty much sort me out.

For now it's not an issue as the ambient has started to drop here, but next summer will be if I don't get the mods done.

• Member Contributer
Notable results for the shoot out (was at the Ace Cafe, London):

Viff = 170.4

GSXR1000 = 165.9 (no idea the mods past race cans)

CBR1000 = 151 & change (cans)

R1 ('00) = 125.6 (Akrapovic system possibly more that I couldn't see)

170 does sound a bit high, but when you're posting higher numbers than modified 1000s, you know the supercharger is doing its job. Not bad for a bike equipped with the stock cat-equipped header. wink.gif

Just for reference, on my dyno the '04 ZX-10R we're building a kit for put out 150hp (with a full exhaust & other tricks), and a bone stock '08 GSX-R1000 laid down 152hp, so the 160hp run with my VFR sounds in line with Mark's 170hp run on a different dyno.

The only thing that really matters, though, is what it feels like ripping through the gears...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

170 does sound a bit high, but when you're posting higher numbers than modified 1000s, you know the supercharger is doing its job. Not bad for a bike equipped with the stock cat-equipped header. wink.gif

Just for reference, on my dyno the '04 ZX-10R we're building a kit for put out 150hp (with a full exhaust & other tricks), and a bone stock '08 GSX-R1000 laid down 152hp, so the 160hp run with my VFR sounds in line with Mark's 170hp run on a different dyno.

The only thing that really matters, though, is what it feels like ripping through the gears...

I actually had a dream last night where it was announced, in your website, that the 6th gen. kit was finally ready. How is that ZX10 kit coming along? I am asking because I hope when you are done with it, you can start the 6th gen. kit. Come on Toro, the USD is at an all time low here, I could tell my wife that it is a very smart buy (it actually is, but I don't think she will buy into this arguement :fing02: )...

Edited by arrow

• Member Contributer

I actually had a dream last night where it was announced, in your website, that the 6th gen. kit was finally ready. How is that ZX10 kit coming along? I am asking because I hope when you are done with it, you can start the 6th gen. kit. Come on Toro, the USD is at an all time low here, I could tell my wife that it is a very smart buy (it actually is, but I don't think she will buy into this arguement :unsure: )...

Sounds like a good dream! It's now getting closer to reality.