Give Your 5th-gen A Boost...

toro1

• Member Contributer

Looks great, good to see that first kit out there and installed. It really looks like a nice set up, very well done.

BTW, not sure what the issue is but the image post doesn't seem to work in this thread? Tried to post from my galley also and just getting the html tags.

• Member Contributer

Way to go Kenneth -- you are officially the first customer EVER to install our kit on their bike. From your pics it looks like you did a tremendous job. Here's to (hopefully!) many trouble-free miles ahead :cool:

130 km's in, i let it loose... 1'th gear, just gone, 2'd: power wheelie with a good dose of ignition cut (yes, it came faster than i was expecting), third: i need a steering damper, 4'th god damn... it just no more road. Good thing i had new EBC brakes on all wheels, cause nothing can stop this one now. And the rideability is just better than stock. going slow on the gas, and just making it run along up to approx. 6000 is just as good as it can ever be. Going further, with little throttle makes it feel a bit lean on the mixture actually, but twist a bit more and it just comes back. This is just the best time i ever had on any of my bikes.

And it just feels so, so very very right. There is no sign of the bike not handling it, the feeling i have is just that this kit just adds what the bike never had, or should have had. It feels like it will just continue to be this good forever, strange as i know my mechanics and what force feeding an engine with this kind of compression can possibly do. There is no weak sign, it does not feel like anything is on the peak of what it can take.

I've tried to explain in the past what it feels like to ride a supercharged bike, but I think you've nailed it here. It's just a really fun powerband to play with, and that rev-limiter does come up awfully fast.

Best of luck on your trip.

--Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well there's a nice brand new '08 ninja 650r for a tad over $5 I'm looking at and I'm adding a/c and a turbo to my vehicle so I'm a little busy with spending money and time. LOL

• Member Contributer
Is there another (cheaper) supercharger that can be utilized? Just wondering.

I'm about to get an an aneurysm from not having this kit.

Cheaper? No, unfortunately. Even more important though is the packaging of the beast -- the C15-60 fits perfectly in its location, and anything bigger would not fit without major work. The only other option is a turbo setup, and then we get into some heavy duty exhaust work, which would basically offset the $$$ savings over the supercharger. If we were producing more units, then the cost could be lowered, but since the numbers had to be scaled back, the cost went up. If only the VFR was as easy to package as the I4 bikes...

Speaking of production, I have gotten and am still getting a lot of requests for the 6th-gen kit. This might be a good time to take a sampling of current interest; if you have a 2002-2009 VFR800 and would be legitimately interested in purchasing a supercharger kit - priced the same as the 5th-gen kit ($5495) - please send us an email (no PMs please) stating your intent. We have a decent inventory of parts that can be adapted to the newer bikes, but I still need to figure out initial numbers a bit better before going into production. As always, if enough people want the kit, the price can come down, but until then the number has to stay where it's at.

• Member Contributer
I've tried to explain in the past what it feels like to ride a supercharged bike, but I think you've nailed it here. It's just a really fun powerband to play with, and that rev-limiter does come up awfully fast.

Dan,

Have you considered or tried "easier" gearing. A larger front sprocket (6gen) might do wonders with 1/2 gear acceleration and due to the abundance of torque 3/4/5 probably wouldn't feel any different.

• Member Contributer

Dan,

Have you considered or tried "easier" gearing. A larger front sprocket (6gen) might do wonders with 1/2 gear acceleration and due to the abundance of torque 3/4/5 probably wouldn't feel any different.

I've yet to try different gearing. There's no doubt that a larger front sprocket would help with first gear, but once this thing starts pulling, it doesn't take long to reach redline, in pretty much any gear.

Maybe I'll swap the stock sprockets back on once I finish up my secret project I'm currently working on.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
Maybe I'll swap the stock sprockets back on once I finish up my secret project I'm currently working on.

Would this be the secret project that I'm privy to, or a new one?

It is the one that you know about Seb, and it looks slightly different then when you saw it last. I'll tell you what else, after riding around on an '08 GSXR1000 for a few days, the VFR needs to go on a diet. Badly. I'm already thinking about where some weight can be shaved...

Oh, if I only had the time...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hate to bug you Toro, I am just wondering if you plan to add any video footage and pictures of your bike any time soon? I am dying to see the SC VFR in action...

• Member Contributer
Here it is.

Thanks Phantom, I downloaded this the day Toro officially announced the Torocharger actually. I look at it almost every day :huh: ...

I meant to say additional footage such as quarter mile, roll-on with another (preferrably unsuspecting) bike etc... Here's hoping :biggrin:

Guest Buttonhook
Is there another (cheaper) supercharger that can be utilized? Just wondering.

I'm about to get an an aneurysm from not having this kit.

Cheaper? No, unfortunately. Even more important though is the packaging of the beast -- the C15-60 fits perfectly in its location, and anything bigger would not fit without major work. The only other option is a turbo setup, and then we get into some heavy duty exhaust work, which would basically offset the $$$ savings over the supercharger. If we were producing more units, then the cost could be lowered, but since the numbers had to be scaled back, the cost went up. If only the VFR was as easy to package as the I4 bikes...

Speaking of production, I have gotten and am still getting a lot of requests for the 6th-gen kit. This might be a good time to take a sampling of current interest; if you have a 2002-2009 VFR800 and would be legitimately interested in purchasing a supercharger kit - priced the same as the 5th-gen kit ($5495) - please send us an email (no PMs please) stating your intent. We have a decent inventory of parts that can be adapted to the newer bikes, but I still need to figure out initial numbers a bit better before going into production. As always, if enough people want the kit, the price can come down, but until then the number has to stay where it's at.

If I knew of an ETA for the sixth gen kit then I could better budget for the cost. As it is I would love to have it as I have upgraded my car with a SC and the bike would be next but until I know for sure a time frame I can't set aside the extra funds forever.

Also I am alittle worried about the vtec transition with the SC. HOW BAD WILL IT BE???

Edited by Buttonhook

• Member Contributer

Let's see, $5K for this and another $5K for suspension upgrades, or a 7th Gen VFR1200? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Member Contributer

Ah, well, mine's stalled for the time being. Zanotti's let me down (for the first time ever, so hard to complain), so no new $66 OEM fuel filter until after I'm back in London. I was probably not going to get it done on time anyway, considering all of the time I spend slobbering all over the components every time I go in the garage! The machined parts in this kit are almost too nice to bolt onto the bike... tongue.gif

To be continued (in the Fall)...

Ciao,

Let's see, $5K for this and another $5K for suspension upgrades, or a 7th Gen VFR1200? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Just get both.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreenVFR

Hi All,

Just fitted a kit for guy here in the UK (alvintc) and got to ride it a bit before he took it away sad.gif Alvintc is now on vacation so no doubt he'll be posting what he thinks when he returns but I thought I'd give my impressions.

Firstly the kit is excellent. Well thought out, well made and properly engineered. We had a few small problems with fitting but nothing significant. We did other work on the bike to make sure the chassis and brakes were up to the job of coping with the extra power but nothing major, just stuff you should do anyway. So how did the bike go?...Well I can't say anymore than copy a post here I made somewhere else in answer to the "Is it any good?" question:

"" Its....different. I don't know why but I was expecting some kind of fire-breathing, uncompromising, hard to handle monster, like a ZX10R on a bad day. But its nothing like that. Instead its just a VFR. A plain, ordinary, predictable and easy to ride VFR. But better.

Its so linear, smooth and subtle that at first it seems almost disappointing. Where is the "kick"? The mean, nasty, tear-your-arms-out monster? Then you realise that you are in fourth, the front is going light again, you are doing 120mph through Glenshee and the jump I've just come over that I'd normally loft the front on saw both wheels in the air and yet its still as safe, settled and utterly controllable as any VFR should be.

I love it, absolutely love it. Just like a VFR: just as stable, just as easy, just as forgiving, just as controllable, just as tractable. But with a bigger engine. 50% bigger.

Anyone who loves / loved their Vif but has been tempted away, or is about to be, by the promise of more grunt from a K12 or ZZR14 or Bird or Busa - Stop now and buy a good VFR and one of these superchargers instead.

And the best bit...we were running it in so I've only given it just over 1/2 throttle so far (well maybe a bit more than "just over"). Tomorrow sees all the bananas being used...... ""