Give Your 5th-gen A Boost...

toro1

• Member Contributer

Introducing the A&A Performance Supercharger Kit for the '98-'01 VFR800

K I T

L A Y O U T

gallery_11118_4463_118201.jpg

It is now possible to bolt-on 50-60% more power to your bike while keeping a stock appearance, without changing any major internals, and with the ability to perform the installation yourself. The rideabilty you currently enjoy is unchanged, and the power output will allow you to keep pace with brand new liter-bikes, should you feel so inclined. This is the real deal.

B E L T

D R I V E

gallery_11118_4463_254701.jpg

A I R B O X

gallery_11118_4463_439439.jpg

D Y N O

C H A R T

gallery_11118_4463_9136.gif

D Y N O

C O M P A R I S O N

gallery_11118_4463_16883.gif

I N T R O

V I D E O

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

For more pictures, high-quality videos, information, and answers to your questions, please visit http://www.aaperf.com

Now feel free to comment & ask questions to your heart's content...

Guest itwrx

WOW AWESOME!!!!

Only one question.. When do you think you will have a 6gen option?? I must say that's just what the Dr. ordered. MORE POWER!! :fing02: +1.gif :laugh: :goofy: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

This was mentioned this in the old thread, but it's worth repeating here.

I know the 6th-gen guys are wondering when their kit will arrive -- it's coming. I need to get the 5th-gen kits up and going first, and then the 6th-gen will have a kit adapted to it. The bikes are very similar so it shouldn't take too long to make the necessary changes. If you are a 6th-gen owner in the PA area and would like to be a guinea pig, let me know.

• Member Contributer

160hp sounds cool till you start to factor the other mods this will incur.When under boost you had better have a programmable ECU to manage fuel air mixture,a heavy duty clutch and do you want to be the test pilot as far as reliability etc. etc. etc.

• Member Contributer
160hp sounds cool till you start to factor the other mods this will incur.When under boost you had better have a programmable ECU to manage fuel air mixture,a heavy duty clutch and do you want to be the test pilot as far as reliability etc. etc. etc.

Heavy duty clutch springs are all ready included and it is clearly stated that a PC III is needed for tuning. :fing02:

Besides, any performance increase comes at a cost some where down the line. I have seen much worse kits assembled for people who have no clue and just want more power. This was designed for the 5th Gen from the very beginning and something tells me Toro doesn't just let that bike sit in a garage. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Moto, as stated on the website, you will need a PCIII to run this kit. Many riders already own one, so I am not including it, but I am including a custom fuel map that should be very, very close to perfect for most people. The object was not to build a kit that then needed hundreds of dollars worth of install and tuning after being purchased, but rather assemble the most complete, hassle-free kit I could make.

Little things like coil-relocation brackets, fairing spacers with modified bolts, OEM gaskets, pre-cut hoses, pre-gapped sparkplugs, parts that carefully bolt onto stock mounting locations, and even a special spanner wrench that installs the timing cover properly are included because I've bought bad kits in my day and know I cannot sell a subpar system with my name attached to it.

Heavy duty clutch springs are included as well and, together with the stock Honda clutch plates, completely eliminate clutch slippage. I've been riding (and beating on) this bike since the summer of '07, and have yet to incur a single fault with the suspension, brakes, chassis, chain, engine, fuel system, cooling system, or any other system - it just works. I'm not trying to sell a bill of goods here, this kit is for serious VFR riders who want a seriously powerful V4 and do not want to drop $18k on the new VMax, $30k on the RSV4, or $50k+ on the Desmosedici.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but if you are a VFR800 rider seeking this level of power you have 2 options available: 1) add forced induction, or 2) buy a different bike. Either way, you can plan on spending a similar amount, but only with the first option do you get to retain the unique qualities that made you want a VFR in the first place. Now, maybe I'm a bit biased here (wink.gif), but I have a feeling that once others get to ride a blown VFR, they will know what I am talking about.

• Member Contributer

I'm considering starting a "What bike will you trade for my clean, never down, stock 5th gen?" thread.

I will consider:

F800S- yellow/orange

05 Superhawk- Charcoal

03 VFR- Silver with black wheels

04 VFR- Asphalt

Okay, come on guys... They aren't making these 5th gens anymore. Get yours now before they are the most coveted motorcycles in the world and I up my trade offer to a late model K1200 or an 848. :491:

• Member Contributer

What's the final weight tally?

I checked out the website and didn't see figures...

Just curious - I need to know how much weight to cut off the bike before the 6th Gen kit becomes available!

Lacy

• Member Contributer

Toro,

Looking over pictures of your kit I don't see any injectors or a bigger oil cooler. I seem to recall you changed your injectors and added a bigger oil cooler. Maybe my memory is fading a little. You might have only installed bigger injectors.

My question is: are bigger injectors needed with this kit as it stands? The oil cooler might not be necc if you live in cooler climates?

vince

Guest wifferi

Congratulations Dan on finishing this incredible project. I have been following the project site since the beginning with much interest and often times with great wonder.

Some people used to say "there is no replacement for cubic inches". We here in Europe have found the replacement a long ago. With cars the nowdays norm is starting to be 1,4 liter engine with turbocharger(s) instead of double the size fuel eaters with similar power output.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/05/29/vo...-4l-tsi-engine/

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/content_...0Golf%20TSI.pdf

Best regards,

Jukka from Finland (that's in Europe btw)

1993 VFR750F " sports tourer" with:

- 2001 silver paint (inlc. mirrors and wheels)

- 1998 graphics

- touring screen

- heated grips

- modified/lowered seat

- 3x44L Kappa cases on Wingrack

- GPS navigation

- K&N + Dynojet + Laser Pro D'or

Edited by wifferi

• Member Contributer
Toro,

Looking over pictures of your kit I don't see any injectors or a bigger oil cooler. I seem to recall you changed your injectors and added a bigger oil cooler. Maybe my memory is fading a little. You might have only installed bigger injectors.

My question is: are bigger injectors needed with this kit as it stands? The oil cooler might not be necc if you live in cooler climates?

vince

Vince, I originally installed larger injectors, but have since changed the fueling system setup. I now run the stock injectors with higher fuel pressure, and the rideability, fuel economy, and throttle response have all increased. Plus, it is less involved both mechanically and financially.

The oil cooler is another major aspect of the kit that has changed. This is the new cooler design. It works excellent and takes up far less space. Plus, it leaves room for a water-to-air intercooler heat exchanger if need be in the future.

• Member Contributer
Serious looking stuff. I'm impressed!! Like the switch to the carbon overhead body... weight and space saving reasons I imagine.

So what sort of mileage do you get out of the bike on mixed riding over a tank of gas??? Does it add enough weight, and power for that matter, to consider stiffer fork /shockie springs??

The carbon intake hat was designed to work with an intercooler and also to distribute the incoming air as evenly as possible. Whether or not the intercooler makes it to production, it has succeeded in the power producing department and is both lightweight and low-profile.

I have been getting nearly 40mpg in normal mixed riding conditions. The only time I noticeably see a drop in mileage is performing flat-out dyno pulls or after a very hard day of sport riding.

You should not be able to notice a difference in weight. The supercharger itself weighs only 6lbs, and the rest of the componentry is mainly aluminum. I will weigh the parts taken off the bike and compare them to the weight of the kit parts soon, as I know others have been wondering what the difference truly is.

Toro,

Another question for you would a PCII work or would you need the III?

vince

I currently only have a working map for the PCIII. The PCII can work, but I would first need to develop a map for it.

Guest bortz

Looking for someone in PA, eh? Oh god, my family would hate me.

What exactly would the deal be if one were to offer their 6th gen as a guinea bike?

Great kit, looks like a lot of thought went into it. I must say that I am very impressed. Your average gear monkey can slap a supercharger onto a bike, but it takes real talent to produce a polished and streamlined kit. Great job!

• Member Contributer

Ha HA!

nice Goin'! very well thought out presentation & attractive layout.

a year ago i'd have bought the first one!

isn't this economy great.

How many miles on your bike? if i score a 99 w/ 30k miles & a staintune, think that this would work out ok?

maybe I'll forward this to Edwards @ cycle world...i called him way back when........he seemed interested.

• Member Contributer

I have followed this all the way. There was such an extended silence from you that I feared you had moved on & it would never materialise. That kit looks beautiful - as does the dyno chart.

Economics have turned against you so sales will be lower than they would have been.

Once some of these have humiliated 1000 cc superbikes and the even bigger bikes they will gain a legendary reputation. The birth of a legend I predict.

Brilliantly done Dan. (That it can be a sleeper is wonderful but most will have your logo all over them I suppose.)

Guest JJbigbird

Awsome, you have alot to be proud of here...Your orange VFR needs to be in a coupls mags Sport Rider, MC..even Sport Tuner (others alike) They should all be interested....Now if only I had the $$ now at this time, but maybe when the eco system comes back alive!!!

Toro,

Looking over pictures of your kit I don't see any injectors ...

vince

Vince, I originally installed larger injectors, but have since changed the fueling system setup. I now run the stock injectors with higher fuel pressure, and the rideability, fuel economy, and throttle response have all increased.

Your kit has a higher-rated fuel pump; does it also have a higher pressure FPR? Is that one I see in one of the photos?

One possibility from all the time and research you've put into this product is that you will probably be able to sell components to VFR owners who can't afford the whole kit, but are interested in components like the Laminova cooler, and the uprated fuel pump.

But I guess you knew that. :fing02:

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer

Hopefully the Canadian dollar will rebound by the time the 6th gen kit is done...:mellow:

Toro, do you recommend cat-less headers / aftermarket exhuast? Or would this work fine with the stock gear?

• Member Contributer
Whens the RC51 kit coming? :mellow: I'll drop it off whenever you want for R&D! :blink:

I have been getting more requests for the RC now that the site has launched. It's certainly a possibility, but I do have other bikes lined up to receive kits first. If there's enough demand I'll make a kit for any bike, but without feedback it's very hard to gauge real interest.

Toro, do you recommend cat-less headers / aftermarket exhuast? Or would this work fine with the stock gear?

It should work fine with the stock exhaust, but just realize that with the supercharger, the more exhaust flow the better, which is why I'm kicking around the idea of making a full system with larger diameter tubing. There's certainly power to be gained by opening up the exhaust.

As it stands, catless '98-'99 headers are the best flowing pipes found on any VFR. I'll find out how much power is lost from the cat once I bolt a kit onto a '00-'01.

Again, a slip-on is not needed, but will certainly bump up the power output -- if you're able to gain an extra 5hp or so on a naturally aspirated motor, you can imagine what it will do with the supercharger. This is also why I don't quote actual hp increases, as bikes and dynos vary too much from one another to accurately nail down a number. However, a percentage increase I can quote, as boost is boost, and affects your engine's efficiency (changing the exhaust will only help to increase that efficiency).

• Member Contributer

Congrats on your milestone, Dan!

I've been following this with great interest since the very beginning: you announced your S/C intentions just as I was kicking around the idea of installing a turbo system onto my bike.

After watching your progress, researching on my own, and learning along with the others here on VFRD, I am convinced that you have created the perfect force-fed system for our bikes, with all the benefits of a turbo (efficiency), but with easier packaging and oiling system.

I've expressed my interest before in a 6th gen kit, and I am still a future buyer of such a kit, after it becomes available.

I agree, the 6th gen kit is probably going to end up selling more in the end, but there are a LOT of 5th gen bikes around yet!

I've already gotten the nod OK from the "boss", and that's most of the battle, isn't it?

Can't wait to see the 6th gen! :dry:

That is truly awesome. It looks well designed from all aspects and top notch! I just wish I could afford it!

How hard is it to keep the front wheel on the ground, now? LOL

• Member Contributer
Time for a few pages, in Cycle World.

Yes, sounds like it's time to send an email Peter Egan's way and get an article going if you really want to reach out to prospective buyers.

Awesome kit Dan, looks absolutely professional top to bottom, including the website. The package was worth the wait and the work you've obviously put in to it.

Now, I need to sell a certain VF1000R to afford this.. :dry:

• Member Contributer
How hard is it to keep the front wheel on the ground, now? LOL

Let's put it this way -- watching that original test run video now makes the bike seem tame. I'm contemplating returning my gearing back to stock as my front end has seen daylight in 5th gear. As long as you're ready for the power and put some weight over the tank, keeping the front end down really isn't an issue...

...beyond 3rd gear. wink.gif