Carbon Wrap..

Guest klinquist

Guest klinquist

I found this on a BMW forum I'm on. I almost wish I had an extra set of fairings to do this to a bike. Apparently this is actually a carbon weave and not just vinyl:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340684

Neat!

I wonder how it'd look if I wrapped my hard bags (which are currently silver and look a bit out of place on my asphalt black viffer)...

• Member Contributer

That is f'n cool. :biggrin:

I have sooooo needed something like this for my RCBVFR but didn't know it existed. I have real CF side covers but even tho' they are very thin they are too rigid and a pain to mount. Previously, I had a soft rubber version that worked well but didn't look all that good. I think I can add this fabric to the rubber versions and have the best of both worlds. Thanks for posting.

Guest camcclellan

From doing a little looking into it, working with sheets of carbon fiber doesn't seem to be hard, just expensive. Do a search on google for something like Carbon Fiber mold, molds, or molding.

• Member Contributer

Neat. Don't do it. LOL. Needs a coating, otherwise you will snag it all to hell. Dust and particulate will collect, and you will snag, trying to clean. On an exterior application,......eeewwwww. a single rock will ruin it FOREVER.

Do that, then resin, or even a hard clearcoat, is the ticket.

Hmmm, rashed fairing + a couple yards of fabric could = an interesting project!

Now this isn't actually Carbon Fiber right? Just a "look-a-like"? I am also thinking those little panels people mount meters in would be a nice accent spot.....dang I have too many projects and this isn't even along my normal line of thought!

Isn't that sort of like getting silicone implants? Looks a bit better (personal taste I know), but you know it's not real. :laugh:

Sorry, the meds are wearing off.

DDO-VFR

Isn't that sort of like getting silicone implants? Looks a bit better (personal taste I know), but you know it's not real. :laugh:

DDO-VFR

The people complaining about the silicone implants are not the people enjoying them....right? If you like the look, does it matter if it is true Carbon Fiber? Obviously Carbon Fiber for a dash panel is form over function, as it would be way overkill to truly make a dash piece of carbon fiber (or a wheel hugger....whatever).

I generally dislike Carbon Fiber, but as a way to cover Road Rash in an inexpensive manner the Tightwad in me approves, if it can be done in a lasting way.

• Member Contributer

DDO-VFR

The people complaining about the silicone implants are not the people enjoying them....right?

I enjoy natural. Had fake. The more real, the better. Fake outter, leads to fake inner. BUT, To each ther own.

If you like the look, does it matter if it is true Carbon Fiber?

NO. Again, to each there own.

Obviously Carbon Fiber for a dash panel is form over function, as it would be way overkill to truly make a dash piece of carbon fiber (or a wheel hugger....whatever). LOL. Choose your words, carefully. When it comes to huggers, function is over form. Watch it. I do a lot less cleaning, and still have no fear of a chain whipped leg. Should use a different example. Perhaps side covers, bar ends, etc. LOL.

I generally dislike Carbon Fiber, (Ditto, but many do like it), but as a way to cover Road Rash in an inexpensive manner the Tightwad in me approves, if it can be done in a lasting way.

Granted. This is interesting. If it had a thin layer of protectant, (vinyl, or whatever), COOL. BUT, from the pics, it doesn't look like it. Weather it is C.F. or not, I'm not positive. (Looks like black F.G.). I could tell, if I had some in hand.

I chose Huggers on purpose, because the CF serves an eye-candy purpose, not a structural integrity purpose....if that chain were to whip loose, wrap around the sprocket and turn into a weedwhacker of sorts, the Hugger would be ripped off the mounts pretty quick...no matter the construction.

I am of course NOT saying they shouldn't be made of them, just pointing out that CF pretty parts (bar ends, whatever) serve only a visual purpose...much the way this fabric (CF real or fake who knows) does.

Still tempted to drop #35 on a yard of this, and see what it can do. I have a rashed body panel I was planning to practice my body work on...might be fun. I would think a resin layer over the top of some sort would be ideal, although that is beyond any knowledge I can pretend to have.

• Member Contributer
I chose Huggers on purpose, because the CF serves an eye-candy purpose, not a structural integrity purpose....if that chain were to whip loose, wrap around the sprocket and turn into a weedwhacker of sorts, the Hugger would be ripped off the mounts pretty quick...no matter the construction.

Depending on the construction, to be honest, you couldn't be more wrong. C.F. to even a 0 pressure lay-up is still stronger than plastic. -3 A.P., and it is stronger than steel.

• Member Contributer

I hate carbon faux-ber. Booooooo.

Back in the day, the hot rodders (car types) used to say, "If it doesn't go fast, chrome it." Carbon faux-ber is the modern chrome.

I say, don't chrome it OR carbon wrap it. Neither one makes it faster.

/rant off

Lacy

Depending on the construction, to be honest, you couldn't be more wrong. C.F. to even a 0 pressure lay-up is still stronger than plastic. -3 A.P., and it is stronger than steel.

Trav, did you ever end up making a full Cyko hugger from CF? Or is my one-off double secret probation part still the only one?

• Member Contributer

Trav, did you ever end up making a full Cyko hugger from CF? Or is my one-off double secret probation part still the only one?

Yup. There are 3 on the planet. 100_4287-1.jpg

100_4315.jpg

100_4338.jpg