'95 Vfr750 Conversion

mrmatt

I am thinking of doing this body conversion to my 1993 which will be a track only bike but it still needs to fit properly to be safe. It looks like you have to raise the fairing up not only for the ground clearance but also for the brake resevoir. Is this true?

Also, do you think it would be possible/feasible to split the lower cowl into a left and right side once you were able to get everything fitted?

I am thinking of doing this body conversion to my 1993 which will be a track only bike but it still needs to fit properly to be safe. It looks like you have to raise the fairing up not only for the ground clearance but also for the brake resevoir. Is this true?

Also, do you think it would be possible/feasible to split the lower cowl into a left and right side once you were able to get everything fitted?

I am still in debate over that, it is above the distance the forks can compress but not much. To raise it I will have to remove the whole belly to go around the exhaust. For the upper I think my Vortex clip ons lowered the brake reservoir enough, also the mirror braces will push up the ends of the fairing to be 12" from the corner (below the handle bars) and give me more room.

I think it would be possible to split the lower, but then you'll have to come up with a way of fastening them all together, I'm going to try to make it just the belly and upper and it shouldn't be that hard to take off for maintenance.

Good luck, get some pictures, which body are you thinking of?

• 1 month later...

PAIR system begone!

gallery_12942_4385_387414.jpg

DSC02188.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_52272.jpg

DSC02189.JPG

I found someone on the ebays that makes block off plates for a Hayabusa for $20, which work perfectly for the VFR. Now you say, why did you not make them with your mill and save $20? Well, I probably could and should have, guess I was just lazy this time.

Getting the rear pipes out was a real pain though, had to drop the tail to reach in to unscrew it, and then bend them all up trying to get it out, I didn't want to take the rear shock out too.

• Member Contributer

96-2-hrc.jpg

Especially if you could track down that twin exhaust can setup!

Yeah it's a great look! I had the chance to buy one of these a few years back for $200, brand new... didn't grab it :wheel:

Mail_Shot_Gun_Full.jpg

i know.. because i got them! the y pipe was missing... but i got em!

• 10 months later...

So have looked through your whole thread and now really want to hear about this tail section did anything ever come of it?

Me too! sorry to bump this thread

Well, I kind of started over with the project and got a different 4th gen so I could have one to ride and one to build, and working on a different bike project all together, and getting engaged, so I haven't been able to work on this one lately. But I have been improving my skills of grafting new subframes to different bikes :ph34r: (I'll have some pics soon on a different thread)

I'm hoping to get some projects out of the way so I can continue, I started a second thread for the build up of the bike here, so I might combine the two threads, not sure.

But I haven't forgotten!! Soon I shall triumph and have an awesome street bike!!

Edited by mrmatt

congrats on the engagment now hurry up on this build so she has something to drive come summer time :laughing6-hehe: or a place to sit for that matter

• 4 months later...
Guest ducatidj

Heya guys, Have recently joined the forums and have just come across this project- looks great!

Here's a couple pics of my modded 3rd Gen RC36 which although not as in depth as the project in this post has still come together nicely-details can be found HERE if any of the alterations to my bike are of help to anyone.

Regards,

Gav (NZ)

IMG563.jpg

IMG566.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest ohlarikd

Good luck with your project. If you haven't seen it, there's a Euro rider who did a 4gen/RC45 conversion complete with OEM style paint several years ago. It looks fantastic. I think he used a 45 tank (they grow on trees ya' know) and upgraded both the front/rear suspensions to complete the look. :laugh:

rvf750rr.jpg

Compared with the real deal:

rvfsamen1.jpg

Zijkantklein.jpg

THAT is amazing. I would want to do this, but I really would need the thread from this guy if he ever had one. No need to reinvent the wheel here...

• Member Contributer

You should be able to use any aftermarket wheel that would bolt onto the Triumph.

Now that he had the spindle shortened he can only fit Ducati wheels, but there are more Duc wheels out there than Triumph wheels, so I think he came out ahead.

Some pics of Doug's modified spindle before I boxed it up...

gallery_654_4563_205138.jpg

PICT3153.JPG

Was taking a look back through this thread. Did you remake those four drive pins? They look much pointier than the ones I have. And they came with allen head bolts on the back, not hex head.

• Member Contributer

OEM are simple hex head bolts. RC30 pins are available separately, so if they are a standard diameter, not sure why they would not have been used. When I got my NR rear wheel mount made I discovered that the NR's drive pins were a different diameter--and not available separately, of course. Rick Oliver (in the UK) managed to get a set made for me, though.

Ciao,

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/17/2009 at 10:51 AM, The Phantom said:

Single nut rear wheel can be achieved by combining a VFR400 hub assembly (fits into the 4th Gen SSS)...

Old thread, but had to correct this.

An NC30 or NC35 hub is indeed the same diameter as for the RC36 but the NC hubs are 10mm narrower.

If anyone knows how to make that work, please let me know. I've even contemplated cutting the 400 hub and inserting a spacing ring and welding it all back together. Otherwise, anyone got a spare RC30 hub and axle?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Old thread, but had to correct this.

An NC30 or NC35 hub is indeed the same diameter as for the RC36 but the NC hubs are 10mm narrower.

If anyone knows how to make that work, please let me know. I've even contemplated cutting the 400 hub and inserting a spacing ring and welding it all back together. Otherwise, anyone got a spare RC30 hub and axle?

nt650/bros spindle works fine with rc36 hub. But is needs drive pins moved for nc/rc/Duc pattern fitment......  pic has afew other goodies.....

vfr750_build_2016_(28).thumb.JPG.8e0ec83d977b6ddc8f3d7d9c91c36bea.JPG

18 minutes ago, slo1 said:

nt650/bros spindle works fine with rc36 hub. But is needs drive pins moved for nc/rc/Duc pattern fitment......  pic has afew other goodies.....

vfr750_build_2016_(28).thumb.JPG.8e0ec83d977b6ddc8f3d7d9c91c36bea.JPG

So if I understand you correctly, a Honda Hawk/NT650 rear axle will work for the VFR 750, just need to drill a different pattern for the drive pins? 

Not a bike sold here in the UK (I don't think) so I'm not familiar with it, but it would appear to use the exact same hub as the VFR750, but it also has the single nut fixing. Shame that Honda decided to use a different drive pin PCD (deliberate I wonder?), but great info. Thanks.

Just need to locate a couple here in the UK though. If anyone over in the US has one spare and would be prepared to organise shipping, please let me know.

• Member Contributer

Isn't it the same as the "Bros", a popular grey import from Japan, "back in the day"?  There are both 400cc and 650cc version of the Bros out there...many in bits, I imagine!  Complete rear ends seem to be going for £100-150...

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, douglasthecook said:

So if I understand you correctly, a Honda Hawk/NT650 rear axle will work for the VFR 750, just need to drill a different pattern for the drive pins? 

Yes, and no.... drill the drive pins to pattern, but the axle is shorter so you need the smaller nt650/bros cush drive as well. Rotor is smaller diameter, and also has different bolt pattern, so easiest to get the nt/bro's one and caliper hanger. Bros parts are cheap as chips in the UK, i think......

Summary, Axle with drive pins moved, Cush Drive, rotor and caliper hanger all from the nt/bros = bobs your uncle :) add nc30/35/ducati wheel (Duc wheel will need 2.5mm spacer to make up for the offset, goes between wheel and axle).