Dead Battery On A Battery Tender?

bill220

• Member Contributer

^

It's been holding a charge just fine so there might not be anything wrong? All that riding and the battery wasn't drained and it holds a charge for weeks at a time without being on a charger. Is 12.65 volts a bad number for the battery? It seems very consistent but I was looking for 12.8.

I will perform the test you suggested above. Plus, I have to take it to the dealer (I trust this one) for a state inspection and was going to have them check it out as well being that I have next to knowledge of electrical systems.

• Member Contributer

Did you ever check the voltage put out by the battery tender? I had a Sears Diehard battery tender go bad and ruined a battery. When I checked the voltage from the battery charger it showed less than 6 volts.

• Member Contributer
Did you ever check the voltage put out by the battery tender? I had a Sears Diehard battery tender go bad and ruined a battery. When I checked the voltage from the battery charger it showed less than 6 volts.

I'm going to dump my Sears charger and get another brand. The bike is running great. I will have the dealer check it over when I take it in for inspection just to be sure. Thank you for mentioning the above!

• Member Contributer

Sometimes it's not the charger's fault...

gallery_362_402_46310.jpg

P1000853x.JPG

...sometimes, even battery tended (Optimate, Optimate-2, Optimate-III and Optimate-3, in my case!) batteries give up the ghost. Most of my stored batteries are still good, but a couple seem to no longer be able to take a charge, so I'll have to replace them soon.

Ciao,

Sometimes it's not the charger's fault...

gallery_362_402_46310.jpg

P1000853x.JPG

...sometimes, even battery tended (Optimate, Optimate-2, Optimate-III and Optimate-3, in my case!) batteries give up the ghost. Most of my stored batteries are still good, but a couple seem to no longer be able to take a charge, so I'll have to replace them soon.

Ciao,

This is the best argument yet for moving to a warmer climate!

I hook up my battery tender (not name brand) if I will not be riding for more than 6 weeks. Hasn't happened since I moved to TX....

Archived