Performance Exhaust/tune

JHKolb

• Member Contributer

OK, so I decided to stop by the local Duc/MV/Motto G dealer today to do a bit of window gawking and the owner happened to be there today.

So I got to chatting with him about adding a performance tuned exhaust to my '07 VFR as well as a PCIII with a custom dyno-tune. I like my VFR for the most part but I do have that annoying dead sport around 5k and the OEM mufflers are a bit quiet (which is generally fine for me) but I would like to wake up that sweet V4 sound. So before I add the PCIII I would like to upgrade the exhaust and get it custom tuned. Here are my questions to the VFR V4 performance experts out there:

Slip-On:

With Slip-Ons I have always heard great things about Staintune and LV (I would lean towards Carbons), but both are getting seemly difficult to get and very expensive. Two Brothers makes a slip-on, but it changes to a single with a dummy can. Some 'claim' a single is better than a double in that it gets better torque numbers than the OEM duals (which I believe are not a true 50/50 split). But I would expect duals to offer better flow than a single.

Header

A Header also came into question, I know the Motad is available from someplace down under but is pretty expensive. Does adding the motad really make that much difference in overall performance or is it mostly a psych thing? They are expensive to begin with and if I went this route I would likely want to get it JetHot coated which adds to the cost.

Mr. Ferracci explained that he does have good relationships with a few manufactures that currently make exhaust parts for the bikes he sells (he then adds the FBF branding), he thought that they might be able to build a header (or 4) and matching slip-ons (or 4) but was going to do some research himself and get me more detailed information. Ferracci is a really good shop (at least locally, East Coast) and I do trust that whatever he comes up with will get the most out of the VTec. I am not looking to race it or anything extreme like that but would like to let the V4 breathe a little more fire that stock allows.

Any suggestions, input, pitfalls I should be looking at or for would be great.

Of course he offered me to trade up to this . . . :fing02:

gallery_12385_4363_280072.jpg

0102091133a.jpg 2008 MV Agusta MV-F41000 312R

• Member Contributer

Well, I don't know about making headers, that would be difficult.

For headers, most upgrade their 6th gen with headers from either a 98 or 99 VFR because they are cat-less and I think have a larger diameter.

You could shell the money out for motads, but they are expensive.

I just added a staintune slip on to my 99 and love it. Gave it a "little" power but more or less gave the bike some more bark.

Here is a great you-tube video of a 6th gen with staintunes, probably someone here.

• Member Contributer

Hey Kolb. You are right that LV and Stunes seem to be pretty popular. I would think this would be the better route since with these you get a true dual system rather than the TB fake can when they all cost about the same. That would be a pretty expensive glove compartment/fake can.

I have the Micron CF exhausts. I love the deep, loud sound of these. Definitely great for the V4. I know Lasers sound and look great, so do the Devils (which you would have to order from France, but still only cost around $800 compared to the $1000 staintunes). I think I got my Microns from the same place I got my Motads (Annitori Distributing in Chicago) for about $800. Well worth it though. Makes a world of difference.

The Motads I got on Ebay for around $560. They are shipped from Annitori though. Great place to do business with. I am sending my headers to jet hot for $200 for this Spring's mod.

After PCIII usb, Microns, Motads, and custom dyno, she is at 100+ hp. Plus she lost a bunch of weight with these changes.

I did headers, slip-ons, and pcIII all by myself in my garage. Takes a little time and effort, but not too difficult.

• Member Contributer

I was told once that with after market exhaust, carb re-jetting is required. Is there some similar mod that must be made with fuel injected bikes? I had a guy tell me that you had to use a power commander with after market exhaust. I am buying a 2002 VFR with Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust, and the seller hasn't mentioned a power commander or similar. Thanks in advance.....

• Member Contributer
I was told once that with after market exhaust, carb re-jetting is required. Is there some similar mod that must be made with fuel injected bikes? I had a guy tell me that you had to use a power commander with after market exhaust. I am buying a 2002 VFR with Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust, and the seller hasn't mentioned a power commander or similar. Thanks in advance.....

With a carb bike, I would say yes. With the two motorcycles that I owned that had carbs, after putting on a aftermarket exhuast, re-jetting was key. For FI, if you just add a slip-on, you can get away with out a programmer like PCIII. Also depends on the exhaust, staintunes run great without but the same can't be said with others.

• Member Contributer

With a carb bike, I would say yes. With the two motorcycles that I owned that had carbs, after putting on a aftermarket exhuast, re-jetting was key. For FI, if you just add a slip-on, you can get away with out a programmer like PCIII. Also depends on the exhaust, staintunes run great without but the same can't be said with others.

Exactly, with carbs you would most likely want to re-jet the carb (or carbs). I already have a K&N, and plan on removing the P.A.I.R. valve as well. Then soon would like to add a nice slip-on and maybe ditch the OE header and cats for a motad or other cat-less header, all I would suspect would benefit from a Power Commander and correct map.

The MOTAD headers are marketed as an OEM replacement, and they don't make any performance claims for them.

Now if you could find a (used) Erion Racing full system for a '98-'01 VFR, that would be a different story.

Use those headers and some VTEC midpipe/cans and you're all set!

• Member Contributer

I purchased the Motad headers and installed with a set of Remus Ti full pipe system. I had already installed the PCIII and used Cozyne's map.

When I had it dyno'd it came out at 99.7 at the rear wheel. I could feel the difference in throttle responce and the sound is very pleasing.

I've also replaced the factory air filter with a K&N (I do this on all my vehicles).

Here is my results.

You can't really hear the true sound improvement from this video, but you get an idea. I had posted a bunch of photos when I installed. Do a search

or check my gallery.

The second best thing about this mod, is the weight savings.

When the Motads arrived, I almost thought the box was empty. Compared to the stock head pipes, there was probably a 10 lb savings.

The Remus rear pipes vs. stock (gutted) were also about 2-3 lbs lighter. So adding a little more power and removing 12+ lbs of dead weight

results in a very nice feeling bike.

Cost wise - the headers were through a group buy here - I think they were around $500 at t the end of the day. I got the Remus used, again from a

member here - I think they were $600? Very happy with the mod. Next to the $17 I paid for a throttle lock, it's the best $$ investment so far.

• Member Contributer

A good slip on exhaust will shed a few pounds off of your bike compared to stock, will sound nice compared to stock, but will not require a PCIII on a 2002 to present model year VFR and will not give any gain in horsepower.

Adding a PCIII with a good map will improve throttle response in some areas and might give you a horsepower or two along the way, but no significant gains.

Getting a header to replace the stock exhaust and eliminating the catalytic converter will require a PCIII, and with some good mapping could gain you around 7-10 horsepower.

• Member Contributer
A good slip on exhaust will shed a few pounds off of your bike compared to stock, will sound nice compared to stock,

as a reference,

the OEM muffler on a 4th Gen weighs 6+ kilo

the Akrapovic I now have, weighs in at 1.6 kilo :laugh:

• Member Contributer
A good slip on exhaust will shed a few pounds off of your bike compared to stock, will sound nice compared to stock, but will not require a PCIII on a 2002 to present model year VFR and will not give any gain in horsepower.

Adding a PCIII with a good map will improve throttle response in some areas and might give you a horsepower or two along the way, but no significant gains.

Getting a header to replace the stock exhaust and eliminating the catalytic converter will require a PCIII, and with some good mapping could gain you around 7-10 horsepower.

he's right. for a 6th. gen. VFR, most aftermarket exhaust systems are about 10 lbs. lighter than the stockers. a PCIII isn't mandatory for slip ons, but it's nice to have.

the most credible dyno numbers i've seen for a 6th gen. VFR is about 109 rwhp (up from 99 stock; a 10% gain.) the guy had catless headers, a PCIII, and aftermarket cans. most people with this setup only get about 105-107 rwhp. the bottom line is, you're gonna be dishing out a lot of cash for a very nominal increase in performance. if you're after true performance and weight savings, you're far better off getting another bike.

you can always get a super sport/bike and change it up a little: heli-bars, lower foot pegs, and a slightly taller windscreen.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Made a couple observations while enjoying a very nice southern Arizona Saturday ride of approximately 250 miles.

First, I got approx. 32 MPG - have read other posts where people are talking about 40+ MPG.

Second, while cruising at about 65 MPH, at barely any throttle, the engine rpm would drop down - and if I held the same throttle position it would come back and run smooth for a few seconds and then drop down again. Kind of seemed like the computer was reading rich, adjusting, reading lean, adjusting, etc. Am I correct to believe the computer reads and adjusts like that?

I would say the bike also doesn't have a great throttle response - doesn't really snap when I goose the throttle from idle.

I have a 2002 VFR800 with a Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust and K&N filter. Otherwise, engine setup is stock.

I was wondering if I should be getting better than 32 MPG? It wasn't a slow ride, but wasn't racetrack conditions either.

Also wondering if a power commander would clean-up these conditions for me, or if I really wouldn't get much bang for the buck.

• Member Contributer

Bad Experience with FBF and Husqvarna...terrible service both at Fast by Ferracci (I waited over a year for a Sil pipe in from Italy...it sat on their shelf a few months more with nobody bothing to call me when was paid on my VISA a year back, then I call and they bump the price even higher so didn't honor my original price as charged me a year back) meanwhile my oem cans are blown out on my SM610s and should be covered by warranty but none could be found...both Husky and Ferracci made me sell my bike and never go back to Italian...yes, are way cool bikes but service was a nightmare. Just buy the leovince setup , bolt on, and ride...thats all you need to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Made a couple observations while enjoying a very nice southern Arizona Saturday ride of approximately 250 miles.

First, I got approx. 32 MPG - have read other posts where people are talking about 40+ MPG.

Second, while cruising at about 65 MPH, at barely any throttle, the engine rpm would drop down - and if I held the same throttle position it would come back and run smooth for a few seconds and then drop down again. Kind of seemed like the computer was reading rich, adjusting, reading lean, adjusting, etc. Am I correct to believe the computer reads and adjusts like that?

I would say the bike also doesn't have a great throttle response - doesn't really snap when I goose the throttle from idle.

I have a 2002 VFR800 with a Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust and K&N filter. Otherwise, engine setup is stock.

I was wondering if I should be getting better than 32 MPG? It wasn't a slow ride, but wasn't racetrack conditions either.

Also wondering if a power commander would clean-up these conditions for me, or if I really wouldn't get much bang for the buck.

Well that definitely sounds like it needs a PCIII.

but I would check all the other stuff first.

If i was doing new headers I would jump all over these Delkevic pieces, best bang for the buck IMO. They look to be OEM design for a 98-99 which should be Catless 43mm tubes instead of the 41mm tubes on everything 00-up and are SS so no need for the Jetcoat treatment or cost. They bolt right up to any 800 VFR! For less than $300 shipped it's a no brainer! :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-VFR80...sQ5fAccessories

No real need for a PCIII with just slip-ons. What you will find on most K&N filters is that the surface area is SMALLER than stock, this is done to keep air flow approximately the same as stock so no need to re-jet or re-map. Now race filters like the BMC have as large or larger surface area than stock and flow more air which should require a richer map for our VFR's, especially because our bikes are So lean to start with and adding anything that flows better(exhaust/filter) should make the lean condition worse! :huh:

• Member Contributer
OK, so I decided to stop by the local Duc/MV/Motto G dealer today to do a bit of window gawking and the owner happened to be there today.

Mr. Ferracci explained that he does have good relationships with a few manufactures that currently make exhaust parts for the bikes he sells (he then adds the FBF branding), he thought that they might be able to build a header.............

Ferracci as in FAST BY FERRACI? .... omg ... If he comes out with a VFR800 header product, I will just have to get the credit card out. (dammit) -- Hope it works on both - 5th gen and 6th gen....

MD

• Member Contributer
If i was doing new headers I would jump all over these Delkevic pieces, best bang for the buck IMO. They look to be OEM design for a 98-99 which should be Catless 43mm tubes instead of the 41mm tubes on everything 00-up and are SS so no need for the Jetcoat treatment or cost. They bolt right up to any 800 VFR! For less than $300 shipped it's a no brainer! :cool:

No real need for a PCIII with just slip-ons. What you will find on most K&N filters is that the surface area is SMALLER than stock, this is done to keep air flow approximately the same as stock so no need to re-jet or re-map. Now race filters like the BMC have as large or larger surface area than stock and flow more air which should require a richer map for our VFR's, especially because our bikes are So lean to start with and adding anything that flows better(exhaust/filter) should make the lean condition worse! :huh:

Has anyone purchased these headers? Or called and talked to Company?

thanks

bill

• Member Contributer

Might ask them for a weight too..?

For comparison.

gallery_7586_2466_39337.jpg

Exhaust.JPG

• Member Contributer

he's right. for a 6th. gen. VFR, most aftermarket exhaust systems are about 10 lbs. lighter than the stockers. a PCIII isn't mandatory for slip ons, but it's nice to have.

the most credible dyno numbers i've seen for a 6th gen. VFR is about 109 rwhp (up from 99 stock; a 10% gain.) the guy had catless headers, a PCIII, and aftermarket cans. most people with this setup only get about 105-107 rwhp. the bottom line is, you're gonna be dishing out a lot of cash for a very nominal increase in performance. if you're after true performance and weight savings, you're far better off getting another bike.

you can always get a super sport/bike and change it up a little: heli-bars, lower foot pegs, and a slightly taller windscreen.

When I had my PCIII set up, I got it up to 107hp. You really don't feel it that much. It's a lot of work for a very small gain. Remember it's not a race bike, if you are opening it up to breath a little bit better, then go for it. But if you are looking for hp, try a faster bike. With the VFR, you get what you get.

• Member Contributer

I recently added Scorpion slip-ons to my bike. Absolutely love 'em! I got them from JC motors for a little over $540.00. I have used Yoshi's, Vance and Hines, Two Brothers and I have to say these appear to be as good as any I have used. Man they sound good and look the part too. Good luck and let us know what you go with. JD

gallery_15237_4482_1279542.jpg

100_0726.JPG

Has anyone purchased these headers? Or called and talked to Company?

thanks

bill

I have the US distributor's number and will be calling on monday.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got a stock can on mine and, honestly, it's buggin' the crap out of me. I can't stand NOT hearing the bike. Was kicking around ideas to bring that V4 growl out a little more for little $$$. Saw the Delkevic on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-VFR80...A1%7C240%3A1318

It doesn't say "slip on" - is it?? For slip-ons, no need to go PC, right? This just seems mighty cheap. Am I missing something??

the Delkavic stuff has got terrible review on other forums for bad quality.

and remember, the PAIR system does absolutely nothing to performance. That event is post combustion and isnt part of the exhaust tuning.

Ive prolly put at least 6 different cans on the Yello Peril and the only difference was noise level.

The hard part is getting the mid pipe, once thats there, you can slap just about any can on it as long as the inlet diameters are the same and you can hang it.

Achmed, find a mid pipe and I'll give you my old oval 2br pipe or a round one I painted black.

Archived