My "track Use" Vfr

luigi

• Member Contributer

typical roads in carolina...

I just can dream this kind of roads, here where i live. :blush:

Myabe around the region of Trentino, but not so wide and lonely.

For the common italian sport riding style you rode too much road behind the pick-up.

This why you are gentle and kind rider or because police is nasty? :laughing6-hehe:

Ciao, Luigi.

This why you are gentle and kind rider or because police is nasty? :laughing6-hehe:

Ciao, Luigi.

Timmy is both kind and nasty police! :laughing6-hehe:

No - its because Timmy IS the BEST kind of Police. one that rides and is a real person. :beer:

• Member Contributer

oops, er.., ehm, :goofy:...what we was talking about? What's the weather in Carolina? :blush:

oops, er.., ehm, :goofy:...what we was talking about? What's the weather in Carolina? :blush:

No worries, Timmy's a great Guy and Good Cop with a great sense of humor! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

No worries, Timmy's a great Guy and Good Cop with a great sense of humor! :fing02:

:beer: OK. One beer of penalty for all the forum members :beer:

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi to all.

Slower than the expectations but work are in progress.

Last works to finish:

- wiring harness simplified

- rear brake lever modification

- new exhaust

- rev counter and water temperature better positioned

- fairing and rear tail

Once the bike have made first laps on track new modifications are in project:

- complete 2009 Suzuki 750 GSXR front end with upside down forks, radial brake calipers and radial master cylinder.

- 2000 CBR 600 F4 front wheel with 1999 CBR 1100XX brake discs (310mm diameter)

- 1993 CBR 900 rear swingarm (much lighter than VFR stock) with 2000 CBR 600 F4 rear wheel.

- an engine modification that i talk you about later (when i'll be sure that is possible)

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

I weighed the 4th gen VFR swingarm at 26.6 lbs. That was with all of the guts (rotors, hub, sprocket, ect.)

How much does the 900RR swingarm weigh?

Triumph Speed Triple swingarms weighs a portly 37 lbs. Good thing it won't fit on the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Hi to all.

Slower than the expectations but work are in progress.

Here's the updated situation.

Last works to finish:

- wiring harness simplified

- rear brake lever modification

- new exhaust

- rev counter and water temperature better positioned

- fairing and rear tail

Once the bike have made first laps on track new modifications are in project:

- complete 2009 Suzuki 750 GSXR front end with upside down forks, radial brake calipers and radial master cylinder.

- 2000 CBR 600 F4 front wheel with 1999 CBR 1100XX brake discs (310mm diameter)

- 1993 CBR 900 rear swingarm (much lighter than VFR stock) with 2000 CBR 600 F4 rear wheel.

- an engine modification that i talk you about later (when i'll be sure that is possible)

Ciao, Luigi.

Hi - This has been a fun thread to watch. Good luck Luigi. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I weighed the 4th gen VFR swingarm at 26.6 lbs. That was with all of the guts (rotors, hub, sprocket, ect.)

How much does the 900RR swingarm weigh?

Triumph Speed Triple swingarms weighs a portly 37 lbs. Good thing it won't fit on the VFR.

Great info - - anybody ever weigh 5th and 6th gen swingarms?

• Member Contributer

...how much does the 900RR swingarm weigh?

Hello.

I not weightned swingarm yet since i'm late with work and i prefer finish the bike for the season, so i can't answer you

Keep in count that with this mod i can eliminate the heavy steel rear axle that alone weight not less than 700/800 grams (1.5 / 1.7 lbs, if i correctly converted) and all other swingarm parts.

More don't forget that the VFR swingarm are almost completely made with cast fusion with thick walls, consistently heaviest than the CBR, made in alloy sheet and profiles welded. Handling it i can feel a great difference but at this moment i can't tell you a number. When i did the mod i'll post all weights for sure.

Weight reduction is not the only goal. I'll have a consistently wheelbase reduction wheter CBR swingarm is shorter, than to install it i 'll made a C-style cut in the pivot spindle passage to adapt it to the VFR cranckcase.

Maybe this can be a source of handling problems, 'cause this means a whole bike weight balancing upsettings, but i'll work to solve it.

Like you understand, this bike will never ends (i live near Milano and here a work of this kind can be designated like "it will never end like Milano Dome"), but i have great fun anyway...

ciao, Luigi.

• Like 1

...how much does the 900RR swingarm weigh?

I would put money on it being almost exactly half the weight of the VFR piece.

Pretty substantial difference then! Wheel would be far lighter too. RV4 put one on his ultralight VFR.

Good to see the project moving along Luigi, hope you're doing well physically?

• Member Contributer

I would put money on it being almost exactly half the weight of the VFR piece.

I think It would be a great result!

Good to see the project moving along Luigi...

Thank you.

..hope you're doing well physically?

Sorry Phantom but i can't traslate well. What do you mean? Maybe about my crash?

I have a 600 f4 unit that I just weighted. This was with the axle, spindle, brake caliper and mount , chain adjusters and a little dirt. 16 lbs.

16 lbs, hence little bit more than 7 kg.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi to all.

I know, it's an old never ending story about this project but, since i never lost the hope to finish it, i restart the work to have a 5th gen VFR to use for track days.

So i would like to show you the latest modifications on the exhaust system, the front fork and the cooling system.

As you can see i've installed the two complete fork legs coming from a 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (i know that in US there's many VFR that uses the VTR SP fork, but in Italy this kind of suspension are not so easy to find used and the price are anyway expensive.) The clamp are designed by me and are manufactured on CNC. The clamp offset are reduced to 30 mm from the stock measure that is 37mm.

gallery_8326_4351_18744.jpg

gallery_8326_4351_274099.jpg

This is the exhaust system routing. The pipes are finished but the compensation chamber are still incomplete. Below, on the right, the main cooler, made by the union of the two stock elements and mounted in front position to have more cooling effect. Above, always on right the additional cooler, made by the union of two scooter Honda coolers.

As you can see, this cooling system solution shows a problem, the main cooler low edges surely go to scratch at the first lean angle, so i studied another solution that show you later.

gallery_8326_4351_323728.jpg

I've choosed to remove the oil cooler, instead i've installed the intercooler used on the CBR 900 (i don't remember the year, it seems the 93 but i can fail) To have more cooling effect, since the water have the additional charge to cool down the oil too, i tought to mount a supplementary water cooler in the same place where the oil cooler was placed.

gallery_8326_4351_78820.jpg

This is a schematic compensation chamber description. This i the solution that i found to have all four pipes with same lenght and have one junction point. I respected the stock pipe leght (around 670 mm). The view point of this drawing is the "front wheel" point of view seeing to rear of the bike.

gallery_8326_4351_60034.jpg

This is the main cooler, obtained by the union from the two stock coolers, here are just positioned...

gallery_8326_4351_140066.jpg

..and here the final result once completed. This in theory why, as you seen this cooler is too height, so i tought an alternative solution that is

gallery_8326_4351_223551.jpg

...this. This is just an example, created with Photoshop. The final cooler anyway will be very similar. Conceptually i will use one stock cooler and one that is again the Honda scooter part, united with alluminium sheet formed. Once created and mounted i will post pictures.

gallery_8326_4351_81004.jpg

This is the sequence followed to obtain the supplementary water cooler. Two scooter Honda coolers with removed all fixing points, hose joints and the two central "shoulders".

gallery_8326_4351_384992.jpg

The final step. Red line shows the welding to unite it. After, in the low side, cooler was be holed to apply the joints for the hoses to connect it to main cooler.

gallery_8326_4351_356091.jpg

That's all, for the moment.

Ciao, Luigi.

Luigi,

i have used the top radiator from a suzuki TL1000R with an oil cooler from a honda SP1. It worked very well.

I had to move the inlet on the radiator from Left side to right side, but very easy.

As it was a "made in China" copy, it started leaking after a year - it also looked a bit wide on my streetfighter with no bodywork.

I have a custom made narrower radiator to mount, that has a 42mm core instead of standard 16mm core.

• Member Contributer

Hi.

Yes, the water leakage is the great doubt abou this work, but i'm confident in the welders experience.

I have no idea about dimension and shape of the TL1000R, but could be interesting some pics!

Thank you slowbird i'will keep you all update.

Ciao, Luigi.