My "track Use" Vfr

luigi

• Member Contributer

Che belissimo moto, luigi. lavoro eccellante! I like your welding skills and your ability to fit many odd parts together. I have had my 4th Gen on the track and they are amazingly good at it. The sound from your pipe would be something to hear.

Sorry about the crash Luigi, hopefully not too bad for you.

As for the project, looks interesting.

I have to wonder why not use a front end from 1 bike instead of mixing parts from 4 bikes?

But, if you can make it work right, more power to ya. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Sorry about the crash Luigi, hopefully not too bad for you.

As for the project, looks interesting.

I have to wonder why not use a front end from 1 bike instead of mixing parts from 4 bikes?

But, if you can make it work right, more power to ya. :fing02:

Simply because i've had this parts free to use...

Anyway if this parts will show limits of performance i will change with something of better in future.

ciao, Luigi.

Sometimes mixing parts works really well - I have USD forks made up from Kawasaki uppers and Yamaha lowers, and the overall length is substantially more than if I had just R1 or ZX-10R forks - meaning a much better match to OEM rake/trail figures. Not planned that way, it's just how it came together.

• 6 months later...
Guest VonZipper748

hey dude very cool I am looking for rearsets for my bike I have a 99 vfr and was wondering what cbr600 you used the peg set from was it an F2 or F3 or F4 ? or prior ? Thanks for the help good luck on the finished piece.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

hey dude very cool I am looking for rearsets for my bike I have a 99 vfr and was wondering what cbr600 you used the peg set from was it an F2 or F3 or F4 ? or prior ? Thanks for the help good luck on the finished piece.

Hi

Excuse me for the great delay to answer you but i read just today your question.

I've used the 1987 CBR600F footpegs. It seems to me that in USA that model was called "Hurricane".

Anyway is the 1st gen of CBR600 family.

Excuse me again for delay, hope it can useful anyway...

ciao, Luigi.

Luigi,

How are you doing and how is the healing going? Your avatar explains a lot of it, just wanted an update on your condition.

Hope your doing great! :rolleyes:

BR

Looking at the X-ray, maybe he had some leftover parts from the YZF1000 or the GSXR that they put in there!

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Luigi,

How are you doing and how is the healing going? Your avatar explains a lot of it, just wanted an update on your condition.Hope your doing great!

BR

Hi, BR

I am at 97/98% of rehab. Now i have the right hand knee that have some problem that don't permit me to push hard with excercises. Work on "Track use VFR" are in progress anyway. :fing02:

Thank you.

Ciao, Luigi.

Looking at the X-ray, maybe he had some leftover parts from the YZF1000 or the GSXR that they put in there!

Yeah! I'm thinkin' to apply on the leather suit, near the femur, the advice; "Rider equipped with aftermarket linkage" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ciao, Luigi

Get well soon!

Thank you!

Ciao, Luigi :fing02:

Luigi, I hope you're feeling better! This bike brings a tear to my eye, how you say, bellisimo? :fing02:

You should post up the measurements of that subframe when you're finished (and able) It looks ideal!

Thank you. You're too kind!!! Ok As soon as possible i'll post some quote and drawing of the alluminium version.

Ciao, Luigi.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi to all.

The project are in progress again. In last months have made much work (family, job and others duties permitting) so now, after a short functional test i have disassembled all to make a deep cleaning everywhere and now i'm reassembly the bike.

Here's some pics:

gallery_8326_4351_51738.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 01.jpg

The state of reassembly today

gallery_8326_4351_66457.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 03.jpg

The rear subframe that have required much time to be created since that any single accessory location (relays, ECU, battery...) have required a provisional fixing, and a jump to the welder (i have not the TIG).

Sincerely after all this work...dont like me so much. The square tube are easy to put together but i have in mind a "round tube" version that i think will have a better look.

I' m instead satisfied by the accessory location. I have installed all the equipments mounted on the stock subframe and i have added:

• a little tank collected to the cranckcase breather tube that on the stock VFR goes to the air-box.
  • a simple case for the Power Commander unit
  • the support for the shock reservoir

gallery_8326_4351_40793.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 04.jpg

Another view of the subframe

gallery_8326_4351_51125.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 15.jpg

Harness will be modified to remove correctly, without a terminal rough cut, any unused wire (lights, turn signal...) and next "good look" positioned.

gallery_8326_4351_30187.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 14.jpg

The ECU support are crafted from a an alluminium sheet. Between the device and the support are inserted a rubber strip for vibrations reduction. The simple fixing are obtained from an o-Ring and little hook.

gallery_8326_4351_19029.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 12.jpg

gallery_8326_4351_10194.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 11.jpg

Two pics that shows the rectifier and the crank breather tank, located in the rear of the subframe. The rectifier position are thought to work in open air to avoid overheating. The same two RR fixing bolts are used on opposite side to fix the support for the fuel pump relay and the barometric sensor.

gallery_8326_4351_34998.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 32.jpg

The PAIR valve cover with the tube joint removed (not so nice like the Toro1 covers for his Supecharged VFR but works anyway, maybe in future...)

gallery_8326_4351_38095.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 21.jpg

The starter relay and relative fuse box located under the battery support.

gallery_8326_4351_44315.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 16.jpg

I have removed the CBS brake system, so the rear caliper have a bridge for the hydraulic connection to the rear master cylinder

gallery_8326_4351_79955.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 06.jpg

Sprocket cover are partially cut to have a little "race look" mantaining the protection. I have again the speed sensor mounting holes for the moment. Gear lever works upside, with the first gear above and the others below. Gear linkage fixing bolt are provisional

gallery_8326_4351_33296.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 28.jpg

What do you think about, i must mount this mirror-polished alternator cover?

The project are in progress again.

gallery_8326_4351_40793.jpg

Agg VFR 20 Luglio 2010 04.jpg

Another view of the subframe

Very cool, glad your back at it! I plan on getting back to mine soon also! :rolleyes:

BR

Beautiful work and thinking things out. If this was easy everyone would be doing it, go go go. I am going through this process now myself and appreciate the time and attention you are applying.

• Member Contributer

GO LUIGI !!! :cheerleader:

Very cool, glad your back at it! I plan on getting back to mine soon also! :fing02:

BR

Beautiful work and thinking things out. If this was easy everyone would be doing it, go go go. I am going through this process now myself and appreciate the time and attention you are applying.

:fing02: Thaaaank you!!! :bliss:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello.

Mod calls mod, so i'm thinking about an anti-hopping clutch. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Since i'm excluding a "ready to fit" kit in commerce, someone have never heard a modification that can turn possible a fitting on the 5th gen? :laughing6-hehe:

ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Hi to all.

New parts arrived. Details, but necessary to finish the work anyay. Newcomers are the light alloy upper rear shock bracket and the spacer for the 520 chain sprockets.

The final bike height is the same than the old version in steel.

The threaded rod have a pitch of 1 mm, so for a turn of the bolt the height bike will be changed of 1 mm.

gallery_8326_4351_33874.jpg

Attacco Ohlins anticorodal 03 Sept10.jpg

The little hole is a seat for a elastic pin that, with the Loctite lock firmly the threaded rod .

gallery_8326_4351_220799.jpg

Attacco Ohlins anticorodal 01 Sept10.jpg

Here the new and the old bracket compared

gallery_8326_4351_127568.jpg

Attacco Ohlins anticorodal 05 Sept10.jpg

Spacers give the correct chain allignment after the installation of the 520 series chain instead the common 530.

On the left the spacer for the sprocket (5mm thickness), on the right the spacer for the rear gear (2mm thickness).

The first was made on lathe, the second with laser cut.

gallery_8326_4351_296741.jpg

Distanziali pignone e corona da 520 Sept10.jpg

This is sprocket spacer installed (bolt not tightened)...

gallery_8326_4351_9529.jpg

Distanziale pignone da 520 01 Sept10.jpg

..and this is for the rear gear.

gallery_8326_4351_470222.jpg

Distanziale corona da 520 03 Sept10.jpg

It's all for now, Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

i love it. more please.

Just some weeks of wait and i will post picture of the bike completed. Without fairing, but complete and maybe with a .mp3 with exhaust sound...

Thanks to all, Luigi.

Nicely done. I've always thought that if I ever got into riding on the track, I'd like to do it on a VFR - as the skills and bike characteristics would be able to transfer to the racetacks of North Carolina, I mean the roads of NC......

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Nicely done. I've always thought that if I ever got into riding on the track, I'd like to do it on a VFR - as the skills and bike characteristics would be able to transfer to the racetacks of North Carolina, I mean the roads of NC......

:fing02:

Thank you.

I need to know as soon as possible the VFR potential on track against the newest HyperSportster.

I'm sure that if i find the right suspensions (not the OEM, obviously), with a correct setup i will not eat so much of their dust...

Anyway, i don't know the North Carolina roads, but knowin mine roads i prefer to wait the end of the work to test this capability....

ciao, Luigi.