My "track Use" Vfr

luigi

• Member Contributer

Hi to all

This is the first photo of my work on a 1998 5th gen VFR to use on track.

gallery_8326_4351_17357.jpg

11th March 2009

I've bought crashed with fork bent and here there's the description of the substitutions:

• Forks from a 1989 Suzuki GSXR (with preload, compression and rebound settings).
  • Front wheel from a Bimota YB9, with adapters for the stock VFR brake rotors
  • Front brake caliper from a Yamaha FZR 1000, with adapters for the Suzuki forks.
  • Handlebars from Kawasaki ZX-10R, with adapters for the Suzuki forks.
  • Footpegs from an old CBR 600, with adapters working on stock fixing points.
  • Steel exhaust can designed by me.
  • Rear steel subframe built on my measure.
  • Rear Ohlins shock with custom setup for my weight (95 kg) lenghtned 5 mm than stock shock
  • Alloy fuel tank (to finish) with fuel pump from F4 CBR 600.

The center stand will be obviously removed.

More to come all the fiberglass components (fairing, tank cover, tail, front and rear fenders, ecc.)

Your opinion?

ciao a tutti, Luigi.

Looks awesome so far! Can't wait to see the finished product. Can you post more pics in your gallery? What weight target are you shooting for? What is the foil looking material below the fuel tank? Is that heat shielding material?

-Roger

• Member Contributer

Interesting.

Why not go with an RC51 or F4i complete front end instead? Should have better suspenders, brakes, and wheel options either way.

Why bother with an aluminum fuel cell on such a heavy bike? Wait, let me guess, you are a welder. :fing02: Nice beads.

• Member Contributer

Sweet project! Something I've wanted to do myself, but lack the fabricating skills for it. Since you look to have raised the foot pegs those should be fine, but these bikes have a habit of dragging the headers. Maybe your properly sorted suspension will cure that?

Good luck and bring on the pics as you go! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Hi.

First, i will thank you all for your appreciations. I know that this bike is not the ultimate in track performance but the i was fascinated by this unusual project.

Looks awesome so far! Can't wait to see the finished product. Can you post more pics in your gallery? What weight target are you shooting for? What is the foil looking material below the fuel tank? Is that heat shielding material?

-Roger

• In gallery i've posted the sigle parts of the exhaust can, have you saw it?
  • Actually i've not a target weight. For the moment i think to make the modification to run the bike.
  • The foil under the tank is just a cotton cover to keep the engine protect from dirt.

Interesting.

Why not go with an RC51 or F4i complete front end instead? Should have better suspenders, brakes, and wheel options either way.

Why bother with an aluminum fuel cell on such a heavy bike? Wait, let me guess, you are a welder. :fing02: Nice beads.

• Browsing the site i saw many front end modification with RC51 forks that i assume it 's perfect for VFR, but here in Italy such fork are hard to find and very expensive.
  • I bought the Suzuki fork mounted many years ago for few euros and so, when i've bought the bike... I was lucky with the measures too. The offset value of the fork is the same and so the trail of the bike remain unchanged.
  • No, i'm not a welder. The stock tank was OK. The alloy fuel tank is just to try to make something different.

Sweet project! Something I've wanted to do myself, but lack the fabricating skills for it. Since you look to have raised the foot pegs those should be fine, but these bikes have a habit of dragging the headers. Maybe your properly sorted suspension will cure that?

Good luck and bring on the pics as you go! :fing02:

• I've designed the foot pegs adapters to have the position of the feet around at same the stock position.
  • For the bike behavior once finished keep i can say nothing of sure. I just can say that i try to have a driving position charging the front end a little bit more than the stock but i don't want exaggerate. For the rest once on track i think to spend much time finding the right set-up

CIAO, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Good Luck with this project, Luigi

It's inspiring to see.

I'm working on an old CBR 600,

when I can make time in my schedule.

With the Holiday season almost over

I will have more opportunities for some time in the garage.

Kudos to you - I am having a hard time visualizing the body work. Isnt the exhaust about where the seat would be?

Here's how it could look... I agree that the seat is fairly high, but track-only bikes tend to be that way to help weight the front wheel. I'm sure Luigi has it covered - this thing is fantastic Luigi, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.

3146115638_5a42e5173b_o.jpg

For reference here's the VTR1000 SP1 (RC51 in US):

Honda-VTR1000-SP1-2000.jpg

• Member Contributer
Kudos to you - I am having a hard time visualizing the body work. Isnt the exhaust about where the seat would be?

MD

The exhaust is effecitvely a lit bit too high, but i was constrained by the pre-formed dimensions of the bends.

Anyway the seat would be immediately behind the fuel tank and i assure you that i'would be happy to move it forward some more, but here i have the constraints of the tank dimensions.

Thank you all for your considerations and opinions

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Hi to all.

An information.

I'm planning to install the Power Commander PCIII USB ECU. Someone can tell me where i can find it a new one at the cheapest price in USA ?

thanks, Luigi.

P.S.

If someone think that this can be expensive for someone living on the other side of the Ocean, i tell you that i bought a pair of OEM front rotor for the road use VFR and i payed, with price list, custom taxes and expedition almost 70 euros (around 95 dollars) less than the best Honda Italian dealer.

Ciao.

• Member Contributer

Luigi,

I hope this helps you to find a Power Commander III Usb.

I bought one from Hard Parts Racing in Mooresville North Carolina about a month ago for US $265.00 plus tax and shipping.

Here is their website....www.hardracing.com

Telephone 1-704-799-2192

Address...Hard Racing Performance LLC

264 Rolling Hill Road

Mooresville,N.C. 28117

Good Luck on your project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi to all

Here i post the last photos about my work

gallery_8326_4351_17357.jpg
11th March 2009
This is the situation at the moment.
Instead the alluminium tank of the first photo i've installed a tank of an old 1987 CBR 600 (in US called Hurricane).

Swingarm
The rear train are waiting for a 520 transmission, a chain cover to protect the brake line and a mudguard for the wheel...
gallery_8326_4351_65446.jpg

gallery_8326_4351_4182.jpg
Step and support - left hand

gallery_8326_4351_74214.jpg
Step and support - right hand
This is a modification, very simple to do, to be free to mount any kind of footstep needed. It works in the same way and on the same stock working point without any permanent modification. Now i've mounted the step of the same CBR 600 of the tank, but i can fit any other i need. With the lever mounted in the way you wil see the first gear will be engaged pulling up and the other gears pushing down the lever.

That's all for the moment, hope you will found interesting.

ciao, Luigi.

Guest slowf2337

I don't think you are going to have much success with the components you are using on the front end. If you are going to trust your life to some old junk parts, just don't push it to hard when you get on track because it doesn't look like they will work very well. The rest of what you are doing looks good though, good luck.

Doesn't look like junk to me, and not everyone can afford the latest and greatest parts. Luigi seems to know what he's doing.

I like the footpeg replacement parts, very ingenious! Nice work on the tank mods too, this will be a project worth following :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Doesn't look like junk to me, and not everyone can afford the latest and greatest parts. Luigi seems to know what he's doing.

I like the footpeg replacement parts, very ingenious! Nice work on the tank mods too, this will be a project worth following :rolleyes:

+1.gif

I got the impression that at the moment everything is in the "pre-production" fitment and fiddling stage. No doubt will be looking the business at the end.

I like the rearset relocation plates. Might get a couple interested buyers if you wanted to sell a fully developed kit! Or maybe just some copycats +1.gif (Taking mental notes for my "dream" 5th Gen project!)

• Member Contributer

Interesting, looks good so far. I would definitely like to know what the final weight of the bike is, keep posting updates. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I don't think you are going to have much success with the components you are using on the front end. If you are going to trust your life to some old junk parts, just don't push it to hard when you get on track because it doesn't look like they will work very well. The rest of what you are doing looks good though, good luck.

Hi,

Yes, i know that the front end equipment is not the ultimate in hi-preformance parts but this is what i've had.

Anyway dont forget that the forks are coming from a Suzuki 1100 GSXR and the brake caliper from a Yamaha 1000 Ex-Up, two bike very fast and, most important, very heavy, more than the VFR at tha actual condition (i think 10/15 kilograms lighter than stock)

More, the fork are fully tuneable in preload, compression and rebound and this is very important for me that i built this bike not only to push hard on track but also to learn the different bike behaviour in reference to the suspension settings.

Anyway thank you for your comment

ciao, Luigi

P.S. I'm sorry but the work of the VFR will be delayed. This is my first post after more than 20 days of hospital.

A car don't respected the STOP signal and so me and my "road use" VFR we have crashed and now i'm walking around with crutches.

ciao a tutti, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Get well soon Luigi! and keep us up to date on your track bike. maybe the road bike can donate some parts that the car drivers insurance pays for. wink.gif