Cool Voltmeter Alternative

Tightwad

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The small form factor, and clean mounting, plus the options to set an alarm or trigger a relay or what have you is what I like about this item....any bigger and I would want it to give me a live reading like my current one does.

I'm looking for one that gives the actual reading. What model do you have installed on your bike?

I personally use one that I built from a couple of components. It requires a 5V power source, so it has a second circuit that is hidden behind the panel. I sold this one for awhile but found it was not worth the effort between a supplier that was flaky and having to assemble/test them. The Datel meters seem to be the best 2 wire alternative, although the Stinger models look pretty good as well. I can still get the Stingers, but demand for them is low enough that I don't keep one on hand usually.

My meter:

Volt_Gauge_001.sized.jpgVolt_Gauge_004.sized.jpg

Datel Meter:

Bike-Meter-1.jpg

Stinger Voltmeter:

1bde_1.JPG

• Member Contributer

Ain't nothin' better than a voltmeter to see what is actually goin' on. 30 years of experience in the electronics field leads me to that conclusion.

Ijust noticed that AeroStitch has an interesting combo meter-> air temp, volt, batt condition etc. $32 Any one tried this gauge?

5-Function Digital Meter #4632

Detailed Images

Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes’ cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating an ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A ‘black ice’ alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Not extreme weatherproof without custom modification (disassemble, apply silicone sealant, reassemble) 5.5"×1"×.75".

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?produ...=601&page=1

• Member Contributer

I saw an LCD one on a couple of bikes that looked very simple and mounted flush on the top of the triple clamp. I really don't want to cut any plastic. If the meter went bad or malfunctioned then I might be stuck with a hole in the fairing that nothing will fit. After reading about all of the electrical problems others have encountered, I'm pretty certain that I want a voltmeter. Let me see if I can find a picture.

• Member Contributer

I was just about to buy one until I read the customer comments and every one of them said it is not waterproof and not for outside use...

Ijust noticed that AeroStitch has an interesting combo meter-> air temp, volt, batt condition etc. $32 Any one tried this gauge?

Detailed Images

Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes’ cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating an ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A ‘black ice’ alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Not extreme weatherproof without custom modification (disassemble, apply silicone sealant, reassemble) 5.5"×1"×.75".

• Member Contributer

I found the photo. The brand name appears to be C-Volt but a google search didn't turn up anyone selling them. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I could velcro it on and if it ceased working, off it could come and be replaced with another.

gallery_15943_4295_8429.jpg

Voltmeter I want

I was just about to buy one until I read the customer comments and every one of them said it is not waterproof and not for outside use...

Detailed Images

Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes' cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating an ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A 'black ice' alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Not extreme weatherproof without custom modification (disassemble, apply silicone sealant, reassemble) 5.5"×1"×.75".

I had one on my Superhawk. Just had it tucked up under the windscreen and would put a plastic bag over it if I washed the bike. It worked well enough for the price and was still on the bike when I sold it after 4 years of being on there. For the VFR I went with the Datel and have no complaints. It is made much better and I never have to "remember" to cover it up. Since the VFR already has a clock and temp on it, the 5-function one was just duplicate crap that I didn't need.

• Member Contributer

Detailed Images

Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes' cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating an ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A 'black ice' alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Not extreme weatherproof without custom modification (disassemble, apply silicone sealant, reassemble) 5.5"×1"×.75".

I had one on my Superhawk. Just had it tucked up under the windscreen and would put a plastic bag over it if I washed the bike. It worked well enough for the price and was still on the bike when I sold it after 4 years of being on there. For the VFR I went with the Datel and have no complaints. It is made much better and I never have to "remember" to cover it up. Since the VFR already has a clock and temp on it, the 5-function one was just duplicate crap that I didn't need.

I'm looking for something for my Pacific Coast, ideally with a clock and back light. Since it sits outside for a day and a half at work, I definitely need a waterproof unit! Maybe I'll just have to forget the clock option... Can't believe Honda left a clock off this bike!

• Member Contributer

I was searching the internet last night looking at different voltmeters. I've been thinking of getting a small marine voltmeter (round, car-like one and not digital) and making a bracket that would fasten to the fuel tank bolts or something. I'm thinking that the needle would move a lot due to movement and vibration. The marine ones are waterproof and have vibration damping built in but on a bike....... Plus, it might look hideous. I wish they still made the one in the pic I posted.

• Member Contributer
I was searching the internet last night looking at different voltmeters. I've been thinking of getting a small marine voltmeter (round, car-like one and not digital) and making a bracket that would fasten to the fuel tank bolts or something. I'm thinking that the needle would move a lot due to movement and vibration. The marine ones are waterproof and have vibration damping built in but on a bike....... Plus, it might look hideous. I wish they still made the one in the pic I posted.

Saw this recently on the Pacific Coast group:

Overtons.com. The Teleflex Vector 28236 for 24.99

There are a few on this page:

Analog Voltmeters

I guess it is waterproof as it is a marine type analog meter.

Also there was mention of a Honda Line Analog voltmeter for $50 plus shipping, but I've not seen that one or where to order. I guess check with your favorite dealer?

I just ordered a couple of the Datel units myself. I also found an Acura Integra digital dash clock on ebay that I'm hoping I can wire up into my Pacific Coast. Thought about an Infinity analog, but the logo would have bothered me on a Honda! :pissed:

• Member Contributer
This place has some possibilities too, but I'm easily impressed.

http://www.martelmeters.com/index.php

I like this one. http://www.martelmeters.com/products.php?cat=1

It has possibilities. Hmmm, I see another addition to my winter to do list.

Me too. Thinking about drilling the triple clamp and installing it there on my '97.

i had a lascar and it WAS NOT water proof....it died in a HUGE storm that we had. liked it though and will probably get another one that IS water proof:

here is the one i bought that was only splash proof: http://www.lascarelectronics.com/pdf-usb-d...01208251476.pdf

http://www.lascarelectronics.com/usb-data-...p;submit=Search

edit: just ordered another emv1200....didnt see any water proofs that mounted easily. i'll try coating the back with silicon and see how that works.

Ok, I promised a review so here goes....

I ordered 2 of the Charging Status Indicators. They arrived rather promptly, which is to be hoped for when shipping is much too high. I ordered two to defray the shipping cost, figuring there would be at least two people who could use one.

chargingstatusindicatorve9.jpg

The box when received is woefully oversized, given the indicator itself measures a paltry .59 x .59 x .8 inches. I was actually worried I would drop it and lose it... The instructions are in more languages than I can recognize, but the first is English so I was able to proceed.

chargingstatusindicatordr0.jpg

chargingstatusindicatorld2.jpg

Out of the box they are configured to go from red to green at 10 volts, then green to red at 20 volts. This just wouldn't do of course, unless the warning you want is "hey idiot, your battery is dead" or "hey moron, your Regulator isn't regulating and everything is cooked including that really expensive computer".

Luckily changing the voltage is very easy, providing you have an adjustable power supply handy, or something that can simulate exactly the voltage you want such as an odd assortment of AA batteries. I happen to have an adjustable power supply (which I built myself) so I was in luck. All it requires is that you set the initial voltage, place the jumper then remove it, then set the next voltage, place the jumper and remove it. Lastly, if you want it to blink the status insteady of a steady light, you change the voltage by 1.4 volts or more, then place and remove the jumper one more time. I opted NOT to do this on the testing as blinking lights would be annoying while I ride, and others probably feel the same. The blinking option is included for battery saving purposes mainly anyway, and if an LED is the go-no go on my battery the thing is already shot.

Wiring the Indicator is also very easy. I tried to show the wires connected, but basically it is a power wire, a ground wire, and a sensing wire. You can wire the power and sensing wire together if you want, or you can run the sensing wire to the battery for the best reading, but the power wire to a switched source so the light isn't always on. I prefer to have a switched source with no voltage drop, so I would just connect mine to my auxiliary fuse panel anyway. Small gauge wire is all that is needed or recommended really...I used 18 gauge for my test hookup.

chargingstatusindicatordw7.jpgchargingstatusindicatorxd6.jpg

I shot a short very poor video (using my still camera, hand held, while also balancing a box on my head to block extra light) to demonstrate the functionality.

You can see in the Video that the Red goes to Green at 12.6 Volts, and then back to Red and 15 volts. When going down the Red goes to green at 14.5 volts, and back to red at 12.1 volts. I am not really sure why there is a .5 volt differential, but I like it because I would hate to have the thing going from green to red and back too fast.

I have two of these available if someone wants one, $40 setup to the voltages of your choice and shipped to your door first class mail.

Thanks for reading!

Tightwad

One is already taken, so only one remains. After that I will order and configure them on request, but there will be a slightly longer delay in shipping.

I realized if I had one of them with my voltmeter last spring, I wouldn't have been panicking when the volts shot up to 19 volts (meter wire came loose). HS and Dutch still laugh at me....

• 3 weeks later...
I was also wondering if anybody tried any of the voltmeters out of the aerostich catalog? I wanted to get one for my bike, and another for my boat.

Do you mean the Kisan "Charge Guard" meter? that one tells you just about everything there can be....Voltage, temperature, ice warnings, etc. Seems a bit pricey at $147, and somewhat big, but could be fun to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Tightwad I'm considering on getting one of the FPSI 1010-1 you found for my Gen4 Extra Dash Light project

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=47844&hl=

Please post or pm any more info that may help. The best price I found so far is $23 if you found a better price. Seems like you found a nice farkel.

Archived