My Invention : Home-made Mirror Extenders...my Invention : Home-made Mirror Extenders...

Guest overrider

Guest overrider

Materials to be used :

http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...e_122_609lo.jpg

Application :

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4189/dizilimsq1.jpg

Result, 40mm. extension :

http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sonuc1og4.jpg

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sonuc2ma6.jpg

Paint it black, or use black hose to cover it wink.gif

Edited by overrider

• Member Contributer
Thats very intresting.

That's the polite way to put it. It is the cheap version of Lobster's extenders, speaking of which he should be cutting up since it's getting cold. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

When I used to make extensions I used liquid plastic, cast in a rubber mold. Sold a bunch. I would certainly ping lobster as he makes them for 5th & 6th gen, and they look top notch. I no longer make any as the mold got old and I wasn't producing top quality stuff anymore.

Certainly look into lobster's extenders. I wouldn't put the washer stacks on my bike. But then again, to each his own.

Some of us have a pretty limited budget to work with. I did something similar with a seat on an old bike. Cost me about a buck, and it worked great. More power to ya, though the silver stacks ARE kinda ugly. Shrowd them with some heat shrink or something and I bet they'd look pretty sweet.

• Member Contributer
When I used to make extensions I used liquid plastic, cast in a rubber mold. Sold a bunch. I would certainly ping lobster as he makes them for 5th & 6th gen, and they look top notch. I no longer make any as the mold got old and I wasn't producing top quality stuff anymore.

Certainly look into lobster's extenders. I wouldn't put the washer stacks on my bike. But then again, to each his own.

I bought a set of the extenders Travis made and they were top notch. I've had them on for 3+ years and they still look like new.

General concept seems sound except for the weight that those humungous stacks of washers must be adding to your bike. What if you use some sort of plastic rod bored out through the center and just have washers at the ends. You migh be lucky to find something that would work in a plstic shop like "TAP" plastics.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

• Member Contributer
Is that a roll of quarters or is your bike happy to see ya?

Badump-dump-dump, TINNNNNG!!!!

Thanks folks, he'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. :biggrin:

HA!!!!!!!!

I am actually interested in learning how to mold stuff in plastic....whats the best way to learn?

I might mention i am also interested in learning to TIG weld, build a helicopter, tile my kitchen and many other things I don't usually get around to actually doing....

I am actually interested in learning how to mold stuff in plastic....whats the best way to learn?

I might mention i am also interested in learning to TIG weld, build a helicopter, tile my kitchen and many other things I don't usually get around to actually doing....

I can help with the tig welding, & maybe the tile thing. I also share your interest in building a helicopter, oddly enough... :biggrin:

Can't wait to see those washers start rusting... and I bet your mirrors wobble and shake now(more than before). For just a couple dollars more you could have bought a cutting board and a cheap hacksaw, and had a better setup.

Oh and Tightwad - the plastic molding thing - check out Eastwood.com, they sell resin casting kits that are meant for casting new emblems, fixing tabs, etc. Should work for lots more things, I think it comes with a book about the subject.

Oh and Tightwad - the plastic molding thing - check out Eastwood.com, they sell resin casting kits that are meant for casting new emblems, fixing tabs, etc. Should work for lots more things, I think it comes with a book about the subject.

Thanks, I will check them out. About the only thing I have no interest in learning about is Surgery.

• Member Contributer
Looks like spam to me. One post and he's selling something. What happened to an intro?

He will be back, probably ran out of washers :goofy:

• Member Contributer
CORRECTION! He isn't selling anything, not spam.

Note to self, NEVER post when sober.

:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

T-Wad:

<HIJACK>

I can help with the plastic casting. It is really quite easy. I used a product by Smooth-On. Their website is quite informative. (smooth-on.com).

Much like doing fiberglass, you first make a part or use an existing part to make a mold (the 'plug'). For the mirror extenders I built, I used some wood

Here's my how to page.

You then cast rubber around the plug. Separate the plug from the mold. Apply release agent to the mold, mix the two part plastic and pour into the mold. Depending on the type of plastic you have from 15 minutes to overnight for a setup time. Pop the part out of the mold and do any post processing you may need. (For the extenders I built a jig to use in my drill press to bore the holes for the mounting screws).

As for (any type of) welding... I'm looking to get schooled myself!

-travis