Fuse Block Choices

solohvs

• Member Contributer
I just recently picked up an FZ-1 for my latest VFR. My other bike has a Centech which works well but I prefer the FZ-1 mainly for the onboard relay. To mount mine I opted to trim some of the plastic off of the undertail. Also, the curvature of it will require one longer screw or you can just go with three which is more than enough to hold it in place. My only minor complaint is that the terminals are extremely tight. Pulling the fuses with my fingers is not an option so keeping a small fuse puller would be a good idea.

Very nice and clean installation! :biggrin:

Did you use the backplate or did you screw it on to the undertail?

Where did you hook in for the switched power?

/Faceplant

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a Centech that is mounted under the left side fairing. I've had it since the bike was new (2004) and have had no issues with it...Even in all day rains it has never gotten wet where it's placed. It works great and still looks new. I also like it better than the plastic ones because it's metal and has a high quality look to it...not that anyone ever see's it mind you.

• Member Contributer

I used the license plate light for the trigger. Can't remember which color but it's one of the two in the picture. I carefully cut the tape off of the wiring harness until I found that wire and then just soldered on to it.

License plate light wires

026.jpg

This is where I spliced into the harness

033-1-1.jpg

0252.jpg

• Member Contributer
I used the license plate light for the trigger. Can't remember which color but it's one of the two in the picture. I carefully cut the tape off of the wiring harness until I found that wire and then just soldered on to it.

Great!

Do you even remember what gauge to use? (I know...I'm lazy...)

• Member Contributer

Great!

Do you even remember what gauge to use? (I know...I'm lazy...)

Seems like I used 18 for the trigger wire but can't remember. I'm sure somebody else might know better. I tend to use what I have on hand.

• 4 weeks later...
Well after having a blue sea installed for 2 years I started having issues, my farkles would work fine then I would sit on my seat and everything would die. First time I found I just had a loose connection at the battery, however this time I could not run the issue down somwhere it was either shorting out or cutting connection - no fuses were burned so it was cutting out. I figured it was a bad relay that needed to be replaced (2nd one) I had a relay off to the side as shown here.

gallery_491_2692_179876.jpg

Blue Sea fuse block with built in ground block

I liked the Blue sea but lets face it - the thing is huge, uses full sized fuses which cant be interchanged with blown main fuses the vfr uses mini fuses. I decided to try a Fuzebox. to help get rid of the clutter under my seat.

gallery_491_2692_630524.jpg

Clutter under the seat

gallery_491_2692_30057.jpg

Fuzebox installed

gallery_491_2692_60626.jpg

Fuzebox and Bluesea side by side Fuzebox has a relay built in

I like the fact there is a relay built in. It uses screw type wire clamps instead of screws so no blade connectors to fail or spend hours soldering blades to wire ends. It also uses mini fuses just like the vfr does so I can swap if need be. Also you can switch from constant power to switched power by changeing the fuse position - its innovative kit for sure. Now I can sit on my seat and the juice doesnt turn off! heh no fat jokes!

http://www.fuzeblocks.com

good stuff

Ok, I need to know. In the first few photos you have 9 connections. I can't even think of 9 things to put on a bike. Unless 3 or 4 of those things are audio related (hence your autocom). Mind filling us in on what you have hooked up to the bike?

I only have about 5 or 6 things hooked up at the moment.

2 heated plugs (off one fuse)

Aux. lights

Heated grips

Cigarette lighter socket on the dash

SAE tender cable (direct to the battery)

Stereo\CB\Ham\Intercom system (Yaesu FTM-10R)

I will soon be mounting a permant compressor to the bike. And a second Cig outlet (complete with waterproof lighter)

Archived