Fuse Block Choices

solohvs

• Member Contributer

If no one knows I will try that method, although I need to buy a meter :cool:

I know the tech that works on my bike will know the answer and I would call him, except it is monday :wheel:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If no one knows I will try that method, although I need to buy a meter :cool:

I know the tech that works on my bike will know the answer and I would call him, except it is monday :wheel:

Look at the wire color going to the license plate light, as it only has two and one would be ground. Green/white I think is correct.

• 1 month later...
The single fuse on the Touratech is more than enough for a GPS, Radar and grips. Remember, the fuse only protects the wiring leading to the device. It does not protect the device.

I always wire my heated clothing directly to the battery. The chances of you sitting on your bike all night long with the clothing plugged in is rather remote..... :laugh:

Fuse should protect the device, the wiring hardly needs protecting. The Touratech unit is designed as part of the electronically controlled BMW unit that monitors all the systems and disables those with problems. Without that system this is little more than a Buss Bar.

Actually the other guy is correct. Being in the electrical business I'm surprised you don't know this yourself. A fuse has 1 function, to protect the wiring from melting and causing a short or a fire, not to protect the device itself.

For instance, if a fuse blows it means that there has been a spike in power going through the wire OR it has experiences a short. Most fuses do not blow instantly so that means if there WAS a spike in power then that spike has already reached the device in question.

As for wiring hardly needing protecting this is another misconception. Wire is rated to sustain a certain load. this is why some wires are as thick as your thumb while others are thin as needles. The wiring coming off your battery on the average bike are anywhere from 6, 8 or 10 gauge depending on the bike of course. This is because the battery supplies power to everything and its load cannot be restricted by smaller wiring.

Try this, take an 18g wire, and try to jump start one bike from the other. The insulation on that wire will begin to melt if it doesn't liquefy almost immediately.

Not trying to be an ass here, just trying to make sure another guy doesn't fry his bike based on misinformation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

Well after having a blue sea installed for 2 years I started having issues, my farkles would work fine then I would sit on my seat and everything would die. First time I found I just had a loose connection at the battery, however this time I could not run the issue down somwhere it was either shorting out or cutting connection - no fuses were burned so it was cutting out. I figured it was a bad relay that needed to be replaced (2nd one) I had a relay off to the side as shown here.

gallery_491_2692_179876.jpg

Blue Sea fuse block with built in ground block

I liked the Blue sea but lets face it - the thing is huge, uses full sized fuses which cant be interchanged with blown main fuses the vfr uses mini fuses. I decided to try a Fuzebox. to help get rid of the clutter under my seat.

gallery_491_2692_630524.jpg

Clutter under the seat

gallery_491_2692_30057.jpg

Fuzebox installed

gallery_491_2692_60626.jpg

Fuzebox and Bluesea side by side Fuzebox has a relay built in

I like the fact there is a relay built in. It uses screw type wire clamps instead of screws so no blade connectors to fail or spend hours soldering blades to wire ends. It also uses mini fuses just like the vfr does so I can swap if need be. Also you can switch from constant power to switched power by changeing the fuse position - its innovative kit for sure. Now I can sit on my seat and the juice doesnt turn off! heh no fat jokes!

http://www.fuzeblocks.com

good stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Well after having a blue sea installed for 2 years I started having issues, my farkles would work fine then I would sit on my seat and everything would die. First time I found I just had a loose connection at the battery, however this time I could not run the issue down somwhere it was either shorting out or cutting connection - no fuses were burned so it was cutting out. I figured it was a bad relay that needed to be replaced (2nd one) I had a relay off to the side as shown here.

gallery_491_2692_179876.jpg

Blue Sea fuse block with built in ground block

I liked the Blue sea but lets face it - the thing is huge, uses full sized fuses which cant be interchanged with blown main fuses the vfr uses mini fuses. I decided to try a Fuzebox. to help get rid of the clutter under my seat.

gallery_491_2692_630524.jpg

Clutter under the seat

gallery_491_2692_30057.jpg

Fuzebox installed

gallery_491_2692_60626.jpg

Fuzebox and Bluesea side by side Fuzebox has a relay built in

I like the fact there is a relay built in. It uses screw type wire clamps instead of screws so no blade connectors to fail or spend hours soldering blades to wire ends. It also uses mini fuses just like the vfr does so I can swap if need be. Also you can switch from constant power to switched power by changeing the fuse position - its innovative kit for sure. Now I can sit on my seat and the juice doesnt turn off! heh no fat jokes!

http://www.fuzeblocks.com

good stuff

I feel the need to clean up the nest of wires running to my battery on my 2006 6th gen.

I only have heated grips and a Honda Averto alarm installed at the moment, but I feel that it's getting a bit crowded around the battery.

A Garmin Zumo together with a Powerlet outlet is on my shopping list which will add to the wire clutter.

If I understand correctly the fuzebox FZ-1 will allow me to connect my heated grips (switched), my alarm (constant), the soon to come Powerlet outlet(constant?)

and up to 3 other accessories, all with separate fuses and the option to have them on constant power or switched power?

And there will only be 2 wires going to the battery, besides the original wire harness, right?

I know this isn't exactly rocket science, but I am a bit of a idiot when it comes to electrics and before I go ahead and mess things up I need to get things straight... :cool:

/faceplant

• Member Contributer

Yes to all your questions.

The fuse block cleans up all the wires running to the battery to one convenient location. It has the relay built in (which is very very nice) and you can select switched or constant by how you connect the fuse.

The only decision you have to make is where you want the fuse panel and if you want that Powerlet constant or switched. wink.gif

FYI, I have the Zumo connecting to my Powerlet (get your powerlet accesories from Tightwad...way cheaper than direct) and I love the fact that I can plug and go without having to disconnect the power wire from the Zumo bracket any more. :cool:

• Member Contributer
Yes to all your questions.

The fuse block cleans up all the wires running to the battery to one convenient location. It has the relay built in (which is very very nice) and you can select switched or constant by how you connect the fuse.

The only decision you have to make is where you want the fuse panel and if you want that Powerlet constant or switched. wink.gif

Sweet, this product sounds great!

FYI, I have the Zumo connecting to my Powerlet (get your powerlet accesories from Tightwad...way cheaper than direct) and I love the fact that I can plug and go without having to disconnect the power wire from the Zumo bracket any more. :cool:

I must be bit slow today. Do you mean that your Zumo is connected to the Powerlet outlet directly and not via the bracket?

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Powerlet, if I get one I will order it from Tightwad! :angry:

• Member Contributer
The Fuze block will need a "trigger" wire for the relay also, so total of 3 wires to run it.

You mean such as the wire to the license plate light, right?

BTW, thanks to the tip from vanion2 I will, of course, order my Powerlet accessories from you, if I decide to get any!

• Member Contributer

@Tightwad:

I have an additional question to the setup I'm looking for.

From what I can tell your VFRness would do wonders for my 2006 ABS model, getting rid of potential overcharging and keeping the 30 amp fuse in a good condition.

Would the fuzebox FZ-1 work with the VFRness? I'd really love to have the possibility to switch from constant power to switched power, which the FZ-1 offers.

Do you think there would be any problems with this? Would I have to do any modifications to the VFRness?

Thanks!

/faceplant

• Member Contributer
I must be bit slow today. Do you mean that your Zumo is connected to the Powerlet outlet directly and not via the bracket?

The Zumo sits in the bracket and the connection kit that comes with the Zumo leaves you with 2 options:

1. Permanently leave the Zumo bracket on the bike with the power wire connected.

2. Constantly connect and disconnect the power wire to the bracket every time you want to take the bracket off the bike (bad considering how snug that connection is).

The Powerlet option allows you to use the locking screws on the connector (preserving it) and then simply removing the powerlet connection every time you want to remove the bracket. :biggrin:

And your question about the trigger wire is correct. Something like the license plate light or the VFRness trigger wire should work fine.

• Member Contributer

The Zumo sits in the bracket and the connection kit that comes with the Zumo leaves you with 2 options:

1. Permanently leave the Zumo bracket on the bike with the power wire connected.

2. Constantly connect and disconnect the power wire to the bracket every time you want to take the bracket off the bike (bad considering how snug that connection is).

The Powerlet option allows you to use the locking screws on the connector (preserving it) and then simply removing the powerlet connection every time you want to remove the bracket. :biggrin:

And your question about the trigger wire is correct. Something like the license plate light or the VFRness trigger wire should work fine.

Ahh, now I get it! And that does seem more handy!

• 4 weeks later...
DSCN0309.jpg

Tightwad's fuse block is going in tonight... :491:

Glad to be of service with the picture. +1.gif Where are you going to locate it?

• Member Contributer

Here is my set up for another Blue Sea Example. Though I do like the size of the other blocks.

HPIM0315.jpg

Pic with Tool placement.

HPIM0316.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just got the PC-8 from Eastern Beaver and so far it looks great. I'm replacing a Blue Sea so I should free up a bit of room under the seat.

Thanks to Tightwad for the heads up about this fusebox.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally after almost 5 weeks i installed my new FUZE block, it rocks, it having the mini fuses is great if i blow a few from the bike i can borrow from my farkles to get me to the nearest shop. Easy install, but room on a 6th gen isnt easy to find. Now i have switched power for my powerlet. RAM mount from tank bolt is next.

smile.gif HOW many more days till DILLEN meet.

DC

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Finally after almost 5 weeks i installed my new FUZE block, it rocks, it having the mini fuses is great if i blow a few from the bike i can borrow from my farkles to get me to the nearest shop. Easy install, but room on a 6th gen isnt easy to find. Now i have switched power for my powerlet. RAM mount from tank bolt is next.

smile.gif HOW many more days till DILLEN meet.

DC

Where did you end up mounting the fuzeblock on your 6th gen?

I'm installation it myself on a ABS 6:th gen.

• Member Contributer

I just recently picked up an FZ-1 for my latest VFR. My other bike has a Centech which works well but I prefer the FZ-1 mainly for the onboard relay. To mount mine I opted to trim some of the plastic off of the undertail. Also, the curvature of it will require one longer screw or you can just go with three which is more than enough to hold it in place. My only minor complaint is that the terminals are extremely tight. Pulling the fuses with my fingers is not an option so keeping a small fuse puller would be a good idea.

0332.jpg

0422.jpg

281.jpg

0322.jpg

Archived