Fuse Block Choices

solohvs

• Member Contributer

I have a new Centech fuse panel in front of me and I don't like it. There is a great deal of circut board exposed on the back and it seems to far from weatherproof.

So guys - here is the question. Blue Sea, Centech or the FuseBlock which is looking better all the time?

Anyone care to comment?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've had my Centech mounted under my seat for a few years now. The only issues is that the stainless is dingy-er than when it was new and I had the same concern when I first saw it. Blue Sea I believe is mostly waterproof though just a bit larger. If I had to do it over I would go for the Fuzeblock!

As the VFR does not have an abundance of room to spare, I opted for Tightwads. Mounted it on the right side under the cover where the ABS regulator would go if my bike was ABS. Easy to get to with the seat off, very compact.

• Member Contributer

I opted for the Centech AP-2. I liked the feature of providing both switched and unswitched outputs. Haven't had any problems with it - works like a charm. The Blue Sea unit does appear to be more substantial and weatherproof, though, but it is quite a bit larger.

• Member Contributer

One of the easiest ways to add additional circuits to any bike.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.las...0C689jtt386A1DA

Simple three wire hook up, very small, 100% waterproof. More than enough capacity for GPS, Amplirider, Radar etc.

01-044-0450-01.jpg

Full Description:

With this practical little helper you can connect various electrical devices to the BMW CAN bus single-wire electrical system that you want to be controlled by the ignition (key on = accessories on, key off = accessories off). This device allows the addition of electrical accessories to any motorcycle including any 2005 and beyond BMWs with the single-wire CAN bus system.

Basically the TPS 15 uses solid state electronics that allow you to add a device and/or power outlet that is switchable directly by the key. It senses the position of the key switch then draws its power directly from the battery to supply your devices.

When you turn off the key, the TPS 15 and it's devices or outlets downstream are deactivated immediately. 5 output terminals are provided and maximum output of the device is 15 amps total. This device is useful for any vehicle with 12-volt power that you want to be able to switch devices on and off with the ignition but do not want to draw power from the existing wiring harness.

* Potted and sealed

* Size: 2.9" X 2.0" X 0.8"

* 5 output terminals (male, spade)

* Battery wires: 18" long

* Yellow trigger wire: 60" long

waterproof isn't really all the important, unless you typically submerge your bike. Nothing else electrical on your bike is waterproof, with exception of the computer and the bulbs. I like the simplicty of my fuse block, as well as the size. I have seen some nice ones (or course for more $$) that offer a ground bus, unswitched connections, etc.

• Member Contributer
One of the easiest ways to add additional circuits to any bike.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.las...0C689jtt386A1DA

Simple three wire hook up, very small, 100% waterproof. More than enough capacity for GPS, Amplirider, Radar etc.

01-044-0450-01.jpg

Full Description:

With this practical little helper you can connect various electrical devices to the BMW CAN bus single-wire electrical system that you want to be controlled by the ignition (key on = accessories on, key off = accessories off). This device allows the addition of electrical accessories to any motorcycle including any 2005 and beyond BMWs with the single-wire CAN bus system.

Basically the TPS 15 uses solid state electronics that allow you to add a device and/or power outlet that is switchable directly by the key. It senses the position of the key switch then draws its power directly from the battery to supply your devices.

When you turn off the key, the TPS 15 and it's devices or outlets downstream are deactivated immediately. 5 output terminals are provided and maximum output of the device is 15 amps total. This device is useful for any vehicle with 12-volt power that you want to be able to switch devices on and off with the ignition but do not want to draw power from the existing wiring harness.

* Potted and sealed

* Size: 2.9" X 2.0" X 0.8"

* 5 output terminals (male, spade)

* Battery wires: 18" long

* Yellow trigger wire: 60" long

So where exactly and how do you hook this baby up? I can solder, splice and other basics, but am electrically retarded :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Three wires..........

Red to +12volts, black to ground and green to the taillight wire (or any wire that switches to +12V when the bike's ignition is turned on)

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies guys!!

guess it is time to get one of these.

HAHA- guess if I would have clicked on the picture it would have told me exactly how to do it :fing02:

If you have a Centech, you can cover the back with liquid electrical tape or that stuff they use to coat the handles of tools... i did mine and it worked well. Used them for 2 years now with no issues. I ride year round in all kinds of weather smile.gif

• Member Contributer

House has a great idea with coating the back of the Centech fuse block. I didn't like the exposed circuit board on the back side and the relay was part of a separate wiring harness. Lots of wires.

I had the choice to simplify so I have ordered a FUZEBlock product where the relay is "in the box" and the wires are really straight forward. Again - for me simple is better from an engineering point of view and considering the installation.

I will do a side by side photo comparison before I send DougFromIndy his new Centech fuse block. I'll try to throw in a few location photos for both so the placement can be debated her on the forum.

Oh yea. I will be adding a loud A$$ horn, my GPS will finally get power and the stage will be set for an electric vest and gloves. My Scorpio alarm will remain connecteed directly to the battery unless a better way presents itself - the alarm is the only "always ON" accessory. And it is always on!

Thanks guys for your input. The FUZE BLOCK (spelled with the Z) was shipped very fast, the order process was simple and the online information was VERY informative. The FUZE people look to have a great product.

I have a Blue Sea on my V-Strom and I like it. Mainly because it has the negative bus and I can run both wires from an farkle directly to it, sturdy, easy to install. I doubt im goign to do much electrical farkeling to my VFR as its not going to be my long distance bike and require a bunch of gizmos like heated grips, gps, electric tank bag, etc.

• Member Contributer
I have a Blue Sea on my V-Strom and I like it. Mainly because it has the negative bus and I can run both wires from an farkle directly to it, sturdy, easy to install. I doubt im goign to do much electrical farkeling to my VFR as its not going to be my long distance bike and require a bunch of gizmos like heated grips, gps, electric tank bag, etc.

%201.gif :biggrin: Funny Allan...I'm picking up a VStrom this spring and it too will be my Tour Bike.

OK all Done tongue.gif

%201.gif :biggrin: Funny Allan...I'm picking up a VStrom this spring and it too will be my Tour Bike.

OK all Done tongue.gif

You will not be disappointed. It's a surprisingly capable bike. Unless your dragging your knee and scraping hard parts on the street on your VFR the V-Strom is plenty sporty and all weekend long comfortable. I got my new to me 96 VFR because I always wanted one and wanted a track worthy bike. Although I have seen V-Strom riders go everywhere on them including the track.

• Member Contributer

That is a great location and a great photo.

The FUZE Block has the relay in the box - a little less complicated.

It just arrived... photos next.

My neighbor and I just installed a Fuze block on my bike, an 02. Easy install, seems like a great product. I'd go easy on the diaelectric grease if you use it...but other than that it's very nice.

Archived