Low/no Cost Farkles

Guest RRW

Okay, everyone is proud of their new Staintunes and custom paint jobs, and rightfully so. But let's see what kind of stuff you came up with for little or no money that improved the comfort, appearance or just made your bike easier to live with.

Here's my weather proof registration and insurance card holder I made from a cut down tube a gun barrel came in. You can buy these at hardware stores too, but free is always better and good for 5 hp. I used some parachute cord I have to make a lanyard and some kind of goop in a tube to glue the cord to the tube. The other end I put around the brake line and super glued the ends together. If the tube should come off the velcro I stuck to the frame, it doesn't get lost. Just stick some velcro to the frame and the tube and you're done. I thought this up because no one wants to think about taking their seat off when you have a ton of stuff strapped down while you are loaded up on a trip, and carrying your paperwork in your wallet is not very weatherproof. It's also darn near invisible unless you know it's there.

100_0543.jpg

100_0545.jpg

Has your 6th Gen got balls? These are the balls that are on the handles of tools like drill presses and such. They also make a cheap frame slider that will protect your tail piece and exhaust pipe in the event of a tip over. Balls and button headed cap screws are $11 at Ace. I had to drill the hole in the foot peg bracket out to 1/2", but that was only slightly bigger than the hole that's already there.

100_0546.jpg

100_0548.jpg

Let's see whut ya thunk up.

Cheap is good. Free is the cat's azz :goofy:

Edited by RRW

My 6th gen, being a proper lady... she certainly does not have balls. I want to ride her hard and fast, not throw my leg over a he-beast with giant black balls.

My 6th gen, being a proper lady... she certainly does not have balls. I want to ride her hard and fast, not throw my leg over a he-beast with giant black balls.

You California guys sure are comfortable with substituting (insert favorite inanimate object here) for women whenever you feel the need for...ummmm...shall we say..."adventure", aren't you? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

You California guys sure are comfortable with substituting (insert favorite inanimate object here) for women whenever you feel the need for...ummmm...shall we say..."adventure", aren't you? :dry:

I'm working on one now and will post pics in a couple days when it's done. The total cost will be about $10.

• Member Contributer

For the 5th Gen riders, Sargent Seats come in a two piece design that allows you to use the rear cowl cover as a bigger trunk area without the passenger portion of the seat. Corbin also has a similar offer in a one piece single seat design. Instead, I picked up a second hand stocker and cut the back off and stapled the cover back down. Add to that the quick release pins replacing the Frakenbolts, and it is easily accessible! Can't find any pics, looks completely stock with the cowl in place. Stock seat suits me fine, without needing to spend the big bucks on an aftermarket!

Guest amhopf

Free bar risers:

losten clip-on, slide up the fork to the top (remove clip) and tighten back down.

3 years like this on my 02 with no issues. YMMV

got the idea right here from VFRD :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Chopped spare set of pegs and painted satin black:

gallery_5444_1301_33003.jpg

Interceptor 068.jpg Chopped pegs

gallery_5444_1301_180145.jpg

Beauty shot

don't listen to this guy. dude's a turkey. and whatever he says back it's just because he's jealous that i can ride better than he can.

• Member Contributer

I really like the tool knob idea.....I used Parts Unlimited Bungee Nuts in the holes. Can be used for bungee cord tie downs, and protrude past the bodywork............... :unsure:.......

Seats002.jpg

• Member Contributer

Item #1 up for bid: Visor Wiper. Cheapie 1/8" cutting board, some hot glue and velcro wire ties. Latest change: add velcro to clutch MC and cut the velcro band down, instead of strapping to the back of my left hand.

gallery_1632_2886_59976.jpg

Wiper blade

Item #2 up for bid: Cup holder. 1/8" aluminum bar stock (from a 19" network/telco rack filler plate). Cut to bolt down to the gas cap ring faux mounting bolts. This gas cap ring has two mounting bolts on a tab so I can switch between a homebrew camera mount or my cup holder. As seen at WDGAH:

gallery_1632_2886_355.jpg

-t

Edited by y2kvfr

• Member Contributer

I've been meaning to do this mod for a long time because I've always thought chrome is for cruisers.

Anyhow, I wanted to keep my stock cans because I don't like loud motorcycles. However, I never liked them being chrome (or stainless steel, whatever it is.) A can I always thought looked cool is the Two Bros. VALE can. Consequently, I decided to duplicate the look.

After removing the heat shields and tips, I sanded them down to the bare metal. I left the shields alone and then painted the tips black using my trusty rattle can of high temperature paint (you can get a can of PJ1 engine and case paint from most dealerships for $10). Sanding the heat shields sort of gives them the brushed aluminum look you see on the shields of the RWB VFR. However, from a distance (or at quick glance), they can sort of pass for Ti.

All these pics were taken with my cell phone (hence the poor picture quality.) Since I already had the rattle can, all this mod cost me was about a day's work and the cost of the sand paper. As usual, I welcome all comments, positive or negative.

Before:

gallery_8583_3271_11704.jpg

sigs1.jpg

Before:

gallery_8583_3271_20343.jpg

sigs2.jpg

After:

gallery_8583_3271_32929.jpg

cans1.jpg

After:

gallery_8583_3271_1371.jpg

cans2.jpg

The Two Bros. VALE can:

gallery_8583_3271_13904.jpg

TwoBrosVALE.jpg

• Member Contributer

here's something else i did with the same rattle can and sand paper. i repainted the heat shield next to the right foot peg assembly because some of the factory paint had started to flake off it. it was kind of tricky to remove and even trickier to reinstall, but i made out okay.

DSCN05751.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm going to mount some on my wife so I have something to kick when she complains about my bike.

Muff

Chopped spare set of pegs and painted satin black:

gallery_5444_1301_33003.jpg

Interceptor 068.jpg Chopped pegs

gallery_5444_1301_180145.jpg

Beauty shot

Did you do that to have a monoposto look with the hard bags on? I like to take mine all the way off when I don't have the bags, but now that i've got an ABS I have to have them there to attach the preload adjuster. I want to do the same thing though to show off the SSSA!

Did you do that to have a monoposto look with the hard bags on? I like to take mine all the way off when I don't have the bags, but now that i've got an ABS I have to have them there to attach the preload adjuster. I want to do the same thing though to show off the SSSA!

Yes and no. I didn't like them blocking the wheel, so I was going to remove them, but then bought a second set and chopped them so I could use the hard bags and have the wheel show. I switch back and forth between the two, depending on whether my wife comes with me or not.

Yes and no. I didn't like them blocking the wheel, so I was going to remove them, but then bought a second set and chopped them so I could use the hard bags and have the wheel show. I switch back and forth between the two, depending on whether my wife comes with me or not.

This looks really good, and is my favorite mod in this topic so far. I took my pegs off, and routed the preload adjuster to under the seat... but it takes up space and is hard to adjust. Plus, it hurts my hand to lift it on the center stand without the grab bar.

If you have a minute, i would really appreciate more info... Could you share a bit more on how you accomplished it? - What did you cut with, What paint did you use, How much did you pay for your spare pegs, Do you have a distance shot before you painted the handle? THANKS! :fing02:

This looks really good, and is my favorite mod in this topic so far. I took my pegs off, and routed the preload adjuster to under the seat... but it takes up space and is hard to adjust. Plus, it hurts my hand to lift it on the center stand without the grab bar.

If you have a minute, i would really appreciate more info... Could you share a bit more on how you accomplished it? - What did you cut with, What paint did you use, How much did you pay for your spare pegs, Do you have a distance shot before you painted the handle? THANKS! :biggrin:

Sure, I cut the peg off with a bandsaw, cleaned up the rough edges with a grinder, then bead blasted them and sprayed them with 3-4 coats of Rustoleum Satin Black. I got the pegs from a member here, I don't remember the exact amount, but I remember it was a little more than I had hoped for. Keep your eyes on ebay. Not sure if I have another shot, think I do, but I would have to dig around.

• Member Contributer

There are some good "Farkles" on here.This might not be all that great or even a "farkle". But for keeping my registration and insurance card with me when I ride and dry. I just put it in my helmet between liner and shell. It works for me.

• Member Contributer
Keystone,

I dig the pipes. Can you take a better shot and post it for us?

i took some pictures with my digital camera, but they didn't come out that great. i'll try again in a few days (maybe it was the lighting.)

• Member Contributer

I liked the look of the bike without the chainguard while I was changing out my chain and sprockets last Spring. So I left it off and just used a piece of aluminum, bent it at right angles, drilled a few holes in it, and hooked it up to the brake lines to keep them from hitting the chain. Cost me a whole $4 making this bracket.

gallery_12318_3774_486505.jpg

Picture 069.jpg

gallery_12318_3774_282167.jpg

Picture 068.jpg

gallery_12318_3774_664194.jpg

Picture 067.jpg

gallery_12318_4009_46416.jpg

Picture 145.jpg

I plan to get the ss braided brake lines and running them through the swingarm for next season though.