Understanding The R/r Inside And Out

Tightwad

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

What about something like controlling the voltage from the stator before reaching the regulator by moving the cores with centrifugal force of RPM increase if one can be designed into a stator like device?

Linear Variable Differential Transformer

<A name=LVDT>A linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) has an AC driven primary wound between two secondaries on a cylindrical air core form. (Figure below) A movable ferromagnetic slug converts displacement to a variable voltage by changing the coupling between the driven primary and secondary windings. The LVDT is a displacement or distance measuring transducer. Units are available for measuring displacement over a distance of a fraction of a millimeter to a half a meter. LVDT's are rugged and dirt resistant compared to linear optical encoders.

02417.png

LVDT: linear variable differential transformer.

The excitation voltage is in the range of 0.5 to 10 VAC at a frequency of 1 to 200 Khz. A ferrite core is suitable at these frequencies. It is extended outside the body by an non-magnetic rod. As the core is moved toward the top winding, the voltage across this coil increases due to increased coupling, while the voltage on the bottom coil decreases. If the core is moved toward the bottom winding, the voltage on this coil increases as the voltage decreases across the top coil. Theoretically, a centered slug yields equal voltages across both coils. In practice leakage inductance prevents the null from dropping all the way to 0 V.

With a centered slug, the series-opposing wired secondaries cancel yielding V13 = 0. Moving the slug up increases V13. Note that it is in-phase with with V1, the top winding, and 180o out of phase with V3, bottom winding.

Moving the slug down from the center position increases V13. However, it is 180o out of phase with with V1, the top winding, and in-phase with V3, bottom winding. Moving the slug from top to bottom shows a minimum at the center point, with a 180o phase reversal in passing the center.

I believe that's the mounting stud for "Radar's" frame sliders. R&G Racing uses a solid rod that the frame sliders mount to.

Indeed, thank you Chaz. Yes, I have the R&G kit on mine and it looked like the Radar mounts were poking out of the same location which peaked my interest.

I believe that's the mounting stud for "Radar's" frame sliders. R&G Racing uses a solid rod that the frame sliders mount to.

Indeed, thank you Chaz. Yes, I have the R&G kit on mine and it looked like the Radar mounts were poking out of the same location which peaked my interest.

Sorry, I missed this question. Radar used to offer them in Red, my replacements are black :(

What about something like controlling the voltage from the stator before reaching the regulator by moving the cores with centrifugal force of RPM increase if one can be designed into a stator like device?

Linear Variable Differential Transformer

<A name=LVDT>A linear variable differential transformer (LVDT) has an AC driven primary wound between two secondaries on a cylindrical air core form. (Figure below) A movable ferromagnetic slug converts displacement to a variable voltage by changing the coupling between the driven primary and secondary windings. The LVDT is a displacement or distance measuring transducer. Units are available for measuring displacement over a distance of a fraction of a millimeter to a half a meter. LVDT's are rugged and dirt resistant compared to linear optical encoders.

02417.png

LVDT: linear variable differential transformer.

The excitation voltage is in the range of 0.5 to 10 VAC at a frequency of 1 to 200 Khz. A ferrite core is suitable at these frequencies. It is extended outside the body by an non-magnetic rod. As the core is moved toward the top winding, the voltage across this coil increases due to increased coupling, while the voltage on the bottom coil decreases. If the core is moved toward the bottom winding, the voltage on this coil increases as the voltage decreases across the top coil. Theoretically, a centered slug yields equal voltages across both coils. In practice leakage inductance prevents the null from dropping all the way to 0 V.

With a centered slug, the series-opposing wired secondaries cancel yielding V13 = 0. Moving the slug up increases V13. Note that it is in-phase with with V1, the top winding, and 180o out of phase with V3, bottom winding.

Moving the slug down from the center position increases V13. However, it is 180o out of phase with with V1, the top winding, and in-phase with V3, bottom winding. Moving the slug from top to bottom shows a minimum at the center point, with a 180o phase reversal in passing the center.

This is above my pay grade! I don't think it would work however, as we need the higher RPM. Controlling the output of the stator is how a Series regulator works...like the Compufire units. Shunt type regulators dump the excess to ground. I asked Rick about going Series with the R/R's they (and I) sell, and he says the new MOSFET version have been so good they have no plans to retool to a more expensive Series version.