Cheap Fixes For Numb Butts

Guest DrBob

• Member Contributer
Get some cheap (Giant brand or such) bicycle shorts. Man it makes a difference on a long day...

Even underneath jeans?

Guest DarthLefty

Yes, for me anyhow.

That first link is actually really good, I figured it was going to be a one or two page thing but it's a lot of info.

Guest Action
Get some cheap (Giant brand or such) bicycle shorts. Man it makes a difference on a long day...

Even underneath jeans?

I just got a pair of padded bike underwear LINK and they fit great under a loose pair of jeans. They make trips on the stock seat much better and at $24 they'll due fine until I either try a DIY option or throw down 300 bones on a new seat.

Action

• Member Contributer

I do a lot of cycling so I already have padded shorts and they work great for longer rides on the motorcycle :cool:

• Member Contributer

FYI, the following is a message I sent to Under Armor yesterday...

Under Armor Product Review

Those of us who ride motorcycles for long distances in a single day

require products that enhance the riding experience and anything that is

annoying on a short ride turns into a real bother on a long ride. Then

there are effects that do not appear until after you have completed 500

miles in a thousand mile day.

An example of this is the Under Armor "Loose Gear" fly front boxer briefs.

Under Armor is a company that markets their products as a top of the line

functional "sports" oriented brand of under-ware. They do make good

products for a price but these fly front boxer briefs are dangerous to the

unsuspecting motorcyclist.

I have several examples of Under Armor gear and I like the compression

shorts for long motorcycle rides. I do not like the fact that these

shorts do not have a 'fly front', which is very inconvenient while on the

road. Anything that slows me down is eventually discarded for something

better, therefore; when I saw the fly front boxer briefs, I just knew this

was what I needed.

Last weekend I went for a long ride to eat lunch in Missouri, almost 500

miles one-way. The first day was fine with a little discomfort. The

second day was a real pain in the rear almost from the start. It was so

bad that I wanted to stop and either buy replacement Under Shorts or go

without. However, since there were numerous thunderstorms in the area I

kept on humming until I made it home.

The cause of the pain was the stitching that joined two fabric panels

together. They are in a line that is in constant contact with the seat of

my bike. In my opinion, this seam is placed in this location to enhance

the 'style' of the product.

I now have a nice "V" shaped red whelp with broken skin on my backside.

The Under Armor 'Fly Front' Boxer Briefs are literally a pain in the ass.

--

Robert Bashaw

LoweST Red A$$ Arkansas

CBR1000FL

ST1100A2 STovokor

VFR800A5 Interprize

Guest kb2wji

I threw down the bucks for a Sargent. Now I get sore after 100 miles instead of 70. I want to try the bicycle shorts idea. I could ride all week if it werent for more sub-par butt :cool: Also, cotton is the devil!! I learned my lesson on Seb's catskill cruise last year. 200 miles with cotton undershorts...no good :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

The trick with the bicycle shorts, is to wear them in place of the underwear, rather than layering them over the underwear. Pretty much all briefs or loose boxers will give you seams or folds between you and the seat. These are killer on longer rides. Even if you're wearing jeans, if you have bicycle shorts under them in place of those briefs, you'll be better off.

Heck, even though women's underwear is designed to be much smoother so it'll look good under clothes, it still has seams and elastic leg bands in very bad places that will hurt on any ride that's more than an hour or so. I can only imagine how much worse men's briefs would be, with their lumpy shapes and heavy facings around the leg openings and the fly.

• Member Contributer
I threw down the bucks for a Sargent. Now I get sore after 100 miles instead of 70. I want to try the bicycle shorts idea. I could ride all week if it werent for more sub-par butt :cool: Also, cotton is the devil!! I learned my lesson on Seb's catskill cruise last year. 200 miles with cotton undershorts...no good :biggrin:

I also bought a Sargent, and I'm in the same situation. I will definitely try some new shorts. Additionally, I have another thread going about Spencer's Seat Modifications......anyone have any experience with this company?

• Member Contributer

First of all, you guys shouldn't be riding in jeans but that's your choice.

Second, those and underwear will slowly cut off your blood flow to that region. Smooth cycle shorts and proper riding gear don't have these seams. Everyone has their limits and 6-7 hours is when I start getting serious monkey butt even with the shorts and a good seat. A throttle lock will not only relieve your right wrist but it will also allow you to shift to different seating positions for temporary relief and that really, really helps on long straights.

• Member Contributer

I also bought a Sargent, and I'm in the same situation. I will definitely try some new shorts. Additionally, I have another thread going about Spencer's Seat Modifications......anyone have any experience with this company?

750 miles last Sunday on a Sargent seat, sports undershorts and shirt made it possible.

+1 on the cycling shorts, and I really believe a big part of the benefit is the wicking fabric. Cotton drawers under jeans or leathers bunch, stick and are usually soaked after one tank full. Good, technical fabric cycling shorts however, help keep my butt dry, cool and therefor much more comfortable on those 600+ mile days on a stock seat :cool: . BTW: more comfortable than standard cycling shorts - bibs. Stay in place perfectly and without a tight drawstring. Try www.bikenashbar.com or www.performancebike.com for really good prices on shorts.

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming that I need the tight (spandex style) shorts, not the baggy ones, correct?

Guest kb2wji
I'm assuming that I need the tight (spandex style) shorts, not the baggy ones, correct?

Thats the idea. Baggy will bunch up. Those bunched up "lines" really hurt after a few hours. I'm gonna hit a bike shop next day off and pick up some padded bike shorts.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered some spandex shorts from Nashbar. I never dreamed I'd stoop to this level.

• Member Contributer

I can see where this is going. Next will be a revival of the thread on how to keep the "boys" cool and comfortable under the tight padded bicycle undergarments. :goofy:

Guest kb2wji
I can see where this is going. Next will be a revival of the thread on how to keep the "boys" cool and comfortable under the tight padded bicycle undergarments. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to rig up a small 12v fan to the inside of my shorts , similar to the one they use in computers. No, wait....thats a bad idea :goofy:

First of all, you guys shouldn't be riding in jeans but that's your choice.

Second, those and underwear will slowly cut off your blood flow to that region. Smooth cycle shorts and proper riding gear don't have these seams. Everyone has their limits and 6-7 hours is when I start getting serious monkey butt even with the shorts and a good seat. A throttle lock will not only relieve your right wrist but it will also allow you to shift to different seating positions for temporary relief and that really, really helps on long straights.

I wear Jeans under my Overpants. I can't see how this is bad, certainly better than wearing just my skivvies under there. I don't have Ricky Racer leather pants, or even Victoria Secrets leather pants....so I wear the textile and double up to hopefully save some skin down the road.

• Member Contributer

I've been a bicycle racer for a long time (and I'm sitting here in one of my team uniforms as I write this) and I have never thought about wearing my shorts on the VFR. I might have to check that out if I ever do more than 200 miles in a day. That said my bike jerseys would make a great base layer but they are covered with sponsor logos so it might look pretty silly when I stop for lunch.

• Member Contributer

Here Here!

Bicycle Shorts (padded or not - padded is better IMO) for most rides.

I ride 300+ regulary on my 86 vf500 with a stock seat and 20k on the clock.

No worries.

With full leathers I wear long sleeve compression shirt (sim to Under Armor) and long leg capelene underwear from Patagonia.

This combo along with Smart Wool socks is the bombdiggity. :goofy:

A little sweat is like AC at 60+ mph.

Cotton is Rotten! that's an old backpacking saying. Works for most "sports"

• Member Contributer

Help Help!!! I am the wife of DaBody1 and he is stuck on the other side of the state and his bike will not start - he thinks is has to do with the O2 sensor and is unable to locate it - can anyone help me and discribe where is it located - your help is much needed and appreciated - thanks!

Guest kb2wji
Help Help!!! I am the wife of DaBody1 and he is stuck on the other side of the state and his bike will not start - he thinks is has to do with the O2 sensor and is unable to locate it - can anyone help me and discribe where is it located - your help is much needed and appreciated - thanks!

Unfortunately I have no idea. But i'll start a brand new thread, cuz nobody will look under this post for your question :biggrin: