How To Make Your 6th Gen Roar

Guest cigarbuf

• Member Contributer
I did finish the exhaust by putting it undertail with a dummy can on the other side. If I could have found some inexpensive cans with a little more conventional look, I would have gone that route. Even though it started as just an experiment, I'll probably keep it on the bike at least for a while. The sound is fantastic; not too loud but with a very throaty roar. Weight from stock is reduced by half and the entire setup cost only about a hundred bucks.

gallery_14326_3884_81946.jpg

Exhaust Finished

That looks better but was there not a smaller OD of can you could have used? Keep us posted on performance gains and effect on mpg if there is any?

You must not have kids.... cause that is just aching for a golf ball / tennis ball / baseball to be stuffed down there.

I like the flex pipe, not sure about the cans.

I'm wondering if he can get some spring loaded flappers like from a dump truck stack, to keep the rain out?

That is a very unique looking setup....

It's like a Baby B-King with round flare...

+1

Definitely reminds me of the B-King's monster exhaust! Looks kinda wicked from the back.

I'm wondering if he can get some spring loaded flappers like from a dump truck stack, to keep the rain out?

Ok, if both the pipes were functional, and they had those flappers on them, that would have to be probably my all time favorite mod. It would be cool AND hilarious. Just imagine those flappers popping up every time you blipped the throttle! Friggin hilarious. I love it!

• Member Contributer

I must say... I'm not really a fan of the fart can on a bike, nor of the flex tubing, and the side view definitely left something to be desired for me... but that rear view looks bad ass. Like, "don't tailgate me or I'll loft a couple mortars at you" bad-ass, or like you've got a couple of jet exhausts strapped under your seat. Can you post a rear-3/4 pic?

gallery_14326_3884_81946.jpg

• Member Contributer
I'll second that, but a stop at a good muffler shop should bealbe to fix you right up in no time.

When I had the mid-pipe for my D&D setup made that was previously posted in this thread, the muffler shop said they couldn't make with their equipment the tight S-bends necessary for the twin can setup. Bends that tight aren't evidently needed in the car/truck world. So I was limited to only a 4-1 option and either have an empty left side or mount a dummy can.

I'll second that, but a stop at a good muffler shop should bealbe to fix you right up in no time.

When I had the mid-pipe for my D&D setup made that was previously posted in this thread, the muffler shop said they couldn't make with their equipment the tight S-bends necessary for the twin can setup. Bends that tight aren't evidently needed in the car/truck world. So I was limited to only a 4-1 option and either have an empty left side or mount a dummy can.

If you are creative and have access to a bandsaw and a tig welder you can buy an arm full of U-bends and cut them up into pieces to make the radius you need, tacking them with the welder as you go. We made an intake manifold out of exhaust tubing for a 4 cyl. Ford 2.3L with a plenum that fit a Holley 2BBL . It looked like a ball of snakes. It was funny as hell because we asked the tech inspectors at the track if we could do it. They said "Yeah, go ahead." Then when we showed up with it, they freaked out and said "NO WAY!"

• Member Contributer

Nicest homemade setup I ever saw was a set of '04+ R1 mufflers shortened and wrapped in stainless at the Kootenay Hootenanny in Nelson, BC this summer

Looked almost OEM - in my opinion even better than the OEM mufflers. All of the aftermarket setups for the VTEC I've seen suck ass esthetically in one way or another.

• Member Contributer
Nicest homemade setup I ever saw was a set of '04+ R1 mufflers shortened and wrapped in stainless at the Kootenay Hootenanny in Nelson, BC this summer

Looked almost OEM - in my opinion even better than the OEM mufflers. All of the aftermarket setups for the VTEC I've seen suck ass esthetically in one way or another.

+1.gif It's 12-Volt terry's, and it's very nicely done :fing02:

Running pipe to the other side could be done but since the diameter of the flex pipe and the exhaust are greater than the outlet from the cat, there's really no advantage. It might tame the sound just a little but it sounds great as it is. Attached are side and rear quarter views.

Again, I know they aren't the most attractive cans but for now I have the weight savings, the sound and the unrestricted airflow I want.

gallery_14326_3884_774.jpg

sideview.jpg

gallery_14326_3884_67969.jpg

quarterview.jpg

:pissed: It's 12-Volt terry's, and it's very nicely done +1.gif

We need pics!!! :fing02:

+1!!!

Where's the soundclips that a few people were talking about on the first page?

• Member Contributer

+1.gif It's 12-Volt terry's, and it's very nicely done :comp13:

+1.gif It's 12-Volt terry's, and it's very nicely done :fing02:

We need pics!!! :idea3:

Here are a couple of pics of Terry's exhaust - it is a sweet custom set up and looks and sounds great. Not the best pictures, but you can get the idea from these shots:

Terry and I chatting on our ride down to the 2007 PNW ride:

Terry-1.jpg

Cropped (and stolen!!!) copy of Didit's picture from the 2008 Hootenanny thread:

12voltexhuast.jpg

• Member Contributer

Doesn't Leo Vince make a two can setup with pipes for their slip-ons? I wonder if they would sell just the pipes without the muffler?

Archived