How To Make Your 6th Gen Roar

Guest cigarbuf

Guest cigarbuf

I had a couple hours free this morning, so I decided to experiment a bit.

First, I removed the exhaust for the first time and fired it up. It had a nice growl at idle but was very loud and raspy otherwise.

Then I stuck a piece of flexible exhaust pipe on it - same result.

What really made the difference was the automobile performance exhaust I connected to the flexipipe. It now produces a rich throaty roar from idle, all the way up through the powerband. Even when accelerating hard, it still sounds deep and rich while not excessively loud. (Please ignore the temporary mounting bracket)

Besides the tremendous improvement in sound, it replaces 19lbs of exhaust placed high up under the tail with 6lbs of exhaust down low to the ground. The total cost of the retrofit was $51.

For now anyway, I'll keep it on the bike and play with it. Perhaps in the future I'll buy another can and fabricate an undertail exhaust that still weighs considerably less than stock, sounds great and won't break the bank.

Does anyone else have a 4" pipe opening on their can?

ExhaustSide.jpg

ExhaustRear.jpg

• Member Contributer
I had a couple hours free this morning, so I decided to experiment a bit.

For now anyway, I'll keep it on the bike and play with it. Perhaps in the future I'll buy another can and fabricate an undertail exhaust that still weighs considerably less than stock, sounds great and won't break the bank.

I did this back around 2003 with an el cheapo set of D&D's I got off ebay. Had a muffler shop make me a mid-pipe to make it a 4-1 so left can was a dummy. Put on a nicer lower clamp after pic was taken:

gallery_611_303_71630.jpg

Custom D&D pipes

I love cheap mods but wouldn't go your route for stylistic reasons.

• Member Contributer

Cheese and rice dude,now that's a can! :schla15: Prolly sounds AWESOME at speed! :schla15:

• Member Contributer

I'll give you an A for effort for trying something else. But to be honest, that looks terrible. I know it's just a mock up. But even with a real pipe and slip on..... it still doesn't look good. Just my two cents.

• Member Contributer
What diameter flexible pipe works with the VFR?

That does sound really, really sweet. However, I say forget the stupid looking flexpipe and have an exhaust shop bend you a real piece of pipe to fit. Obviously that is a pretty free-flowing set up (perhaps too much) but ribbed piping is always going to flow worse than flat piping, also, the flexible pipe looks plasticy.

That does sound really, really sweet. However, I say forget the stupid looking flexpipe and have an exhaust shop bend you a real piece of pipe to fit. Obviously that is a pretty free-flowing set up (perhaps too much) but ribbed piping is always going to flow worse than flat piping, also, the flexible pipe looks plasticy.

The project is only an experiment and I have no intention of leaving the exhaust on the bike as it is.

It does make me think that if I could find some off-the-shelf cans similar to what I have but a bit more "conservative" in appearance, along with some fabrication work on the pipes, I'll end up going that route. The sound generated by the VFR through the 2 1/2" channel in the can is fantastic; similar to the deep tone of my old 900ss with Arrow cans.

FotoMoto did a great job of adapting his D&D cans to his bike. I'd like to see if I can setup an undertail system that sounds great, flows freely, is light weight and a quarter the cost of most systems available today.

• Member Contributer

The project is only an experiment and I have no intention of leaving the exhaust on the bike as it is.

It does make me think that if I could find some off-the-shelf cans similar to what I have but a bit more "conservative" in appearance, along with some fabrication work on the pipes, I'll end up going that route. The sound generated by the VFR through the 2 1/2" channel in the can is fantastic; similar to the deep tone of my old 900ss with Arrow cans.

FotoMoto did a great job of adapting his D&D cans to his bike. I'd like to see if I can setup an undertail system that sounds great, flows freely, is light weight and a quarter the cost of most systems available today.

Ah, I see. But, like you said, you did lose quite a bit of weight, and the weight added is much lower in the chassis. I think that despite what people say, clean it up a bit (mount it a bit better) and you could certainly keep it that way. Some people prefer side exhaust, others underseat, it's a matter of taste.

That is looking/sounding good. Prior to getting my VFR I seriously looked at the Midnight Warrior just because I loved the exhaust styling. Tried to attach an image...but I failed.

I had some spare time today and decided to relocate the exhaust under the tail. The bracket is new and the flex pipe is a bit longer.

Total weight for the single exhaust is actually 5lbs 10oz. I'll add another can to the other side for aesthetics which will bring the total weight to 9lbs 12oz. The flex pipe will soon change color to a bluish brown and will stiffen up as the heat sets the bonding material in the joints.

I know it isn't the most attractive setup out there but it didn't cost much, doesn't weigh much, doesn't restrict much and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

gallery_14326_3884_12544.jpg

SideView.jpg

gallery_14326_3884_47780.jpg

SideView2.jpg

gallery_14326_3884_104905.jpg

RearView.jpg

• Member Contributer
"A" for effort, but I'm not much of a fan of flex pipe.

Great for proof-of concept, but if I were going permanent, I'd have a proper mid-pipe fabricated out of 2" tubing.

I'll second that, but a stop at a good muffler shop should bealbe to fix you right up in no time.

• Member Contributer
Gee, why don't you take a geologist's hammer to the Pietà while you're at it?

Or were you once a propmaster for 50's sci-fi flicks?

Now, now, no need to grind the guy so hard! He is experimenting and having fun. I have hillbilly exhaust on my old XJ and am mocking up sportster slipons for it.

• Member Contributer
"A" for effort, but I'm not much of a fan of flex pipe.

Great for proof-of concept, but if I were going permanent, I'd have a proper mid-pipe fabricated out of 2" tubing.

+1.

Experimentation is what it's all about, if it's not your taste, fine, but you don't have to knock someone. With a proper piece of tubing instead of the flexpipe that's not a bad, cheap set-up at all. I'm all about the cheap do it yourself methods. Anyone can spend a couple of thousand and have a shop install an aftermarket exhaust, but where's the art in that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Man,

I like your willingness to try this but wtf? I don't get it. Can I sell you a old Snapper mower that has a muffler that falls off from time to time? Seriously, go with a bike exhaust. That looks so far out of balance and takes away from the single sided swing arm's look. just my 2 cents. JD :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Man,

I like your willingness to try this but wtf? I don't get it. Can I sell you a old Snapper mower that has a muffler that falls off from time to time? Seriously, go with a bike exhaust. That looks so far out of balance and takes away from the single sided swing arm's look. just my 2 cents. JD :biggrin:

I second that. Maybe you can mount two of those under the seat and get rid of that fender. :blink: VFRs look good in the original configuration. Don't go Pep Boys on your bike. Keep it looking cool. :huh:

I did finish the exhaust by putting it undertail with a dummy can on the other side. If I could have found some inexpensive cans with a little more conventional look, I would have gone that route. Even though it started as just an experiment, I'll probably keep it on the bike at least for a while. The sound is fantastic; not too loud but with a very throaty roar. Weight from stock is reduced by half and the entire setup cost only about a hundred bucks.

gallery_14326_3884_81946.jpg

Exhaust Finished

Archived