Visor Scratch Repair

snoman181

• Member Contributer

I have an old visor from my Shark helmet with a few scratches, and one area in particular that's seemingly scratched beyond repair. At $79 a pop, I figured "What the heck, let's see what I can do." After all, I've already bought a replacement, so I have nothing to lose.

I started with a variety of plastic polishing compounds like Plexus and Novus with mixed results. I also tried a couple of products from my local bike shop that were guaranteed to "permanently and invisibly repair scratches in visors and windshields." Again, it's better, but not yet good enough that I can ride without looking through an annoying area that's a constant distraction.

Then I came across this:

Visor Scratch Repair and Prevention

I plan on giving it a try this weekend. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Unfortunately, I don't have any true "before" pictures, but I will take a couple of snaps of what I'm starting with and show the final results.

Anyone else tries this or have any other suggestions? I'm game to try anything on my old visor!

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

OOPS! I'm a dumb ass! I cut and pasted the wrong link!

I've edited it now. Thy this one:

snoman, how did this end up working for you? I have a spot about the size of a dime, almost in the line of sight, that is scratched pretty bad and considering trying the heat gun technique...

• Member Contributer

OOPS! I'm a dumb ass! I cut and pasted the wrong link!

I've edited it now. Thy this one:

snoman, how did this end up working for you? I have a spot about the size of a dime, almost in the line of sight, that is scratched pretty bad and considering trying the heat gun technique...

I checked his profile and the last time he was active was Sep 08, so he may not be around any more...

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Эта работа не имеет смысла визор от шлема это многослойный пирог и полировка его не даст результата у нас в России этот вопрос тоже поднимался многими но успехов ни у кого не было только хуже было выход один покупать новый (

This work does not make sense visor of the helmet is a multi-layered cake, and polishing it does not help us in Russia this question was also raised by many successes but no one was even worse was only one way out to buy a new (

Guest GPdesign

i tried this heat gun polish technique on an old screen. It worked to a certain extent, but it was very hard to not heat it up too much and bubble the plastic (which I did in a couple of spots). It wound up not being a good solution for me, the burns/bubbles looked worse than the original scratches.

• Member Contributer

Just an FYI: that's not a visor nor a screen. It's a shield. A visor is like what you see on baseball caps. Many 3/4 cruiser helmets have small ones (off-road motorcycle helmets have them, too.) Screens are what you have on the front of your bike, i.e. a wind screen.

The Russian guy is right. If you're having trouble getting a scratch out, you're better off buying a new one than to keep spending time and money on it. Better helmets (like my AGV and Suomy) come with scratch-resistant shields. If your helmet didn't come with a scratch-resistant shield, see if they make one for your helmet and just spend the $45 or so on one. Motorcycling is dangerous as it is. The last thing you want are scratches on your shield distracting (or worse, obstructing) your view. Better shields are likely to be fog-resistant as well.

I have to second 2fast- there is no overstating the importance of riding safe and being able to see the errant cagers trying to hit you ( yes I ride with this attitude and have survived this way on a streetbike for 31 years) . Spend the money to see properly and plan an escape route always!

PS Is that Russian guy for real?? That's awsome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have to second 2fast- there is no overstating the importance of riding safe and being able to see the errant cagers trying to hit you ( yes I ride with this attitude and have survived this way on a streetbike for 31 years) . Spend the money to see properly and plan an escape route always!

PS Is that Russian guy for real?? That's awsome!

You think we only drive tractors here?

And ride wild bears after drinking certain amount of vodka?

;)

That time has gone. Poor bears have been ridden to death.... vodka ....is still available..

%)

This is our "local" website dedicated to VFR: http://www.vfrclub.ru/.

Just fore fun.

However, VFRD is the best!

P.S. Visor MUST be clean and absolutely transparent!

Though mine is scratched a little at the side :blush: