Installed My Nuvi 350 On The Bike

Guest klinquist

Guest klinquist

I've got the VFRNess with the accessory relay and fuse box (which rocks) which was a great basis for the install. I disassembled a Nuvi cigarette lighter adapter and soldered on longer power leads, crimped on spade ends, then hooked it to the fuse box and a ground. I lifted up the gas tank and ran the power cable along some vacuum or brake lines, using zip ties along the way.

Hooked the nuvi to a RAM mount - thanks to those who pointed out that you can get longer screws (M6x40 I think I used)? and use the RAM handlebar mount on the gas tank front screw down points.

I also got a clutch lever RAM ball I use for my digital camera.

2681184334_9daf265f3d.jpg

2681181576_7d57dbbf24.jpg

Another little trick for those looking to mount a garage door opener on the bike - I installed a Genie Intellicode receiver upgrade kit ($50) on my garage door opener so I can use intellicode remotes. The kit works on any garage door since it just simulates you pressing the opener button inside the garage.

The intellicode remote uses a small 12v battery. Perfect! I opened it up, soldered the button connections together (so it is as if you were holding the button down all the time), hooked the positive battery terminal to my relay and ran a small wire to a switch and then to ground. Press the switch and it's the equivalent of inserting a battery with the button pressed down so the garage door opens.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a great looking button, this is all they had at my local radio shack. At least it's small.

2681179546_cb886a00ac.jpg

Guest klinquist

Oh, and before anyone asks why I didn't get a Zumo.. the answer is: I've had the Nuvi for a few years now for use in my cages. No additional investment smile.gif. I know it's not waterproof, but it seems to have no problems on the bike (in the dry at least) smile.gif.

klinquist,

Thanks for the write up. I have a RAM mount for the steering stem with a Nuvi 360 that I have been meaning to install. Did you hookup a leash of some sort to the GPS? I didn't find a place but the RAM website says to make sure that it is tethered, just in case.

TIA,

Roger

Guest kb2wji

Any downsides of using a non-zumo GPS? I have a Nuvi i'd like to hook up, but im afraid not so much of rain, but the vibrations....any experience of anyone having a nuvi or similar unit for a certain amount of time?

• Member Contributer

Very nice... I borrowed a Nuvi one time, and since I did not have any RAM mounts or anything that would hold, I suctioned it directly to my tachometer since I know my bike after years of owning to know exactly what RPM is being delivered from the engine. I like that RAM mount off the tank mount bolts though. I have my voltmeter installed and mounted right there, but, in the case that I invest in a NUVI or some other GPS, that is a very nice location...

:unsure:

Guest klinquist
Thanks for the write up. I have a RAM mount for the steering stem with a Nuvi 360 that I have been meaning to install. Did you hookup a leash of some sort to the GPS? I didn't find a place but the RAM website says to make sure that it is tethered, just in case.

I haven't tethered it. Seems to be pretty darn solid in the ram mount.

Guest klinquist
Any downsides of using a non-zumo GPS? I have a Nuvi i'd like to hook up, but im afraid not so much of rain, but the vibrations....any experience of anyone having a nuvi or similar unit for a certain amount of time?

Function wise, the Nuvi doesn't support routes or tracks. That's kind of a bummer for sure, but I'll survive (for an upcoming trip, I will likely just save several "favorite locations" and make them function like route points.. maybe name them 001, 002, etc... when I reach one, just tell the GPS to navigate to the next one. Of course, I'll have to make them close enough that the route I want to take is the fastest route between the two points.

As far as water protection, carrying a zip-loc bag to throw over it seems to be the recommend solution on advrider.com smile.gif.

Edited by klinquist

• Member Contributer

A gps unit is pretty much gps unit. There is only 2 companies that make maps for them (navteq and someon else). Both do a great job. Its the bells and whistles you're paying for. Yes some track a little bit better but if you're afraid of breaking it or something just happening to it, a cheap one will do just fine. The nuvi 200 is always on sale for $100.

They ones you'd have to worry about vibes is GPS units that have harddrives. Although I run an iWay 500 (harddrive) with no problems.