Exhaust Bypass

xTomKx

The VFR is a Lexus

Why would you want to put Glass Packs on a Lexus?

If it was a Harley, the only thing you can do is vibrate and make noise, the VFR is weapon, keep it quiet and exploit those bennis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO Leo Vince and other aftermarket exhaust without spuds in are PHENOMINAL sounding exhaust that makes a V4 sound like it SHOULD sound and are yet still below the level of obnoxious sounding exhaust (I.E. Harley or ANY cruiser with STRAIGHT PIPES that make you pissed off cuz they are so loud). TomK, I don't know if you have heard a VFR like yours with aftermarket spudless cans on or not but I would HIGHLY recommend checking it out and it may possibly change your mind.

Now I am young and could at a glance be easily associated with the squidly crowd and like any other guy grinned from ear to ear at the sound of hearing all motor of the VFR IDLING w/o exhaust on it (Yes I started it just to see when installing my Leo's). Yet I think it is one of those deals where it sounds good sitting there idling and barely revved and NO MORE than that and would sound like complete unrefined SH%&$ going down the road since it is two different things. Loudest doesn't always means it sounds the best.

I have a friend I ride with who has a CBR1000RR and when he was exhaust shopping I recommended some high quality exhausts. He chose otherwise and went with quote "the Loudest decible exhaust" which was not a better known brand. Upon riding with him after that, Yes -- he had the loudest exhaust available, but it sounded like crap because it was so loud, extremely unrefined/untuned sound, and obnoxious and I have heard PLENTY of 1Krr's with other aftermarkets that when I heard made me temporarily want one. A few weeks later when arriving to his house to go riding he mentioned he heard me coming down the road w/my Leo's and was saying to himself "Damn that bike sounds good" and said he had no idea it was my VFR til I turned into his driveway. I get compliments all the time on the exhaust sound.

I'm sure you will do whatever you decide, but I hope you at least take everything into consideration and at least listen to aftermarket pipes that both Sound and Look better on a VFR.

As far as safety being higher on the priority list... I will second the thought of High-Viz riding suits +1.gif , it may not earn you points in the cool department w/the ladies but it will sure as hell help get ya there in one piece on the turnpike as far as rider noticability goes. YA CANT MISS EM!

Be safe and as Baileyrock says, both younger and older riders want to enjoy the Sport for many years to come. Do your part to help keep it that way!! Ride smart and enjoy your Viffer!! :fing02:

The VFR is a Lexus

Why would you want to put Glass Packs on a Lexus?

If it was a Harley, the only thing you can do is vibrate and make noise, the VFR is weapon, keep it quiet and exploit those bennis

Most aftermarket exhaust cans are glass packs :fing02:

I ran my 95 without the muffler once, I thought it sounded great at idle up to mid range. The thing sounded like a motogp bike to me!

Point I was making , the VFR is a classy bike, like a Lexus, its a Class thing IMO

I'm sure that wont go overwell with 90 % on this board but, oh well>G<

I've had modded pipe bikes, but not felt the need with the VFR, a side benefit is the reduced noise allows me not to catch attention or sneak by in many cases.

I've seen some videos here with modded pipes, all that bike exhaust noise is definitely an acquired taste.

I hear my stock pipes just fine, and routinally exploit them

Point I was making , the VFR is a classy bike, like a Lexus, its a Class thing IMO

I'm sure that wont go overwell with 90 % on this board but, oh well>G<

I've had modded pipe bikes, but not felt the need with the VFR, a side benefit is the reduced noise allows me not to catch attention or sneak by in many cases.

I've seen some videos here with modded pipes, all that bike exhaust noise is definitely an acquired taste.

Even Lexus has an L-tuned exhausts

I put some glass packs on my GS with very favorable results and favorable comments from passengers.

Sounds much like this clip.

Needless to say, I was delightled when the VFR I bought already had Staintunes mounted.

Love them!

Neither of these are mine but you get the idea.

I've thought about an exhaust system that could both be "throaty and obnoxious" and "stealthily quiet" (I.E. stock sounding) on demand for a while now. Having built a few custom exhaust systems, I've always thought it would be really cool to have an electronic servo actuated EXUP type "dump valve" going to a barely baffled can with a "stock type" heavily baffled can open all the time. I think it would be really cool to have a bike that had a civilized, low db. exhaust note that with the touch of a button could transform into a hellacious sounding beast. I built a "RC211v/GSV-r" type 2 into 2 exhaust for my VFR and my RC51 has dual M4s so I don't currently have a ride to try this system out on. Maybe on my next project.

The current CBR600RR (07-08) and the recent CBR1000RR (06-07) have servo-acutated valves in the headers (about the same place our catalytic convertors are on the VFR). Honda stuck them on there for sound emission reasons. Serveral people of dyno'ed their bikes with the valve operating normally vs with the valve disabled and there were no differences in the dyno charts.

So, Honda already does something similar on their CBRs. I'm sure you can find tons of these Honda valve units since many people have gone to full aftermarket exhausts. Or, maybe a wastegate-type dump valve like what's found on turbo systems would work?

Yamaha has used these valves for years. From what I was told, these valves are used on bikes tuned for high rev. HP to give them a little more grunt at lower revs. I'm sure you could use one of these Honda valves in lieu of using a sub-standard Yamy EXUP valve.

Send a PM to the member Canib. He tried to fab up a moto gp style exhaust and took it to the dyno to see what he did for it. As I recall the guy running they dyno said he should win an award....

for the single mod that took away the most HP. I think he dropped into the 60's with his on there...

a total removal of the exhaust. If I could get rid of the exhaust totally it would probably shave close to 50lbs of the bike but I like the way the stock pipes hide my license plate.

No, you'd lose about 25lbs at most; significant but no where near 50.

My stock mufflers weigh exactly 19.5 pounds (as close as my UPS scale can tell). Might be able to get rid of another 10 or 12 pounds by doing away with the header as well - now that would be obnoxious and loud! Seriously though, my aluminum cans and custom up-pipe save a little over 11 pounds. And before someone else says it, I know it's not a race bike and the weight doesn't make any material difference, but hey, it makes me happy!

Funny - with my stock pipes the intake and noisy cam chains drown out the exhaust note :fing02: .

Well, the guy in the Lexus probably just graduated from the Honda civic crowd , you know how they blast the mufflers >G

But other than a really crappy obnoxious exhaust note, as Long as I dont have to listen to somebodies GHETTO Boom box Crap , You guys can make exhaust noise

OKAY :fing02:

• Member Contributer

OK so here's one of my first posts and I believe I have some helpful insight for you. My last car was a trans am ws6 and I wanted exactly what you wanted, stealthy quiet with the option to raise hell when you want. My solution came from a QTP (Quick Time Performance) Cutout with electric cap. This mod allowed me to run straight longtubes no cat (ridiculous) or closed through my slow master exhaust. I hooked my switch up to my console and had the ability to literally turn it on or off when I wanted. So my idea is one, get an exhaust shop to weld you a cutout the diameter of your pipe before it splits into dual and get with QTP about an electric switch so u could open her up whenever you want. The other Idea would be to place the open close valve door welded into the y-pipe and have one pipe with a beautiful sounding aftermarket can and gut the crap out of the other so you can switch from one to the other. Anyways I hope this may help, and I think that whether you wanna sound like a motogp racer or gramps on a stocker its important to just enjoy your time alive and do what makes you happy while still respecting the road and others!

Vince

• Member Contributer

I would have to say +1.gif on the Leo Vince. The spuds are so easy to remove and install that unless you wanted to do this exhaust tuning on-the-fly, which BTW is a bit :fing02: ly, the Leo Vince is probably your best bet. The sound is fantastic even with the spuds in. Additionally I would have to agree with Baileyrock and ask that you please do not ride without exhaust cans. It really is far too loud and would really just make it seem like you are trying too hard to get attention. Not to mention the fact that it is so loud that it could potentially damage your hearing. I know that, at least with my helmet, the reverberations inside were enough to kill the deal for me and convince me to get the Leo Vince which I was pleasantly surprised with. Honestly, I feel that many aftermarket systems are pushing the envelope in terms of decible level and for what it's worth I think the people riding around with straight pipes and or without an exhaust on the end kinda deserve to get pulled over and ticketed. It just doesn't belong on the public roads. If you want to be that loud take it to the track or just have your buddy with the Yosh pipe come over to hear the VFR without exhaust, but really, for the sake of what dignity this sport has in the eyes of most everyone who doesn't ride don't ride without the exhaust.

BTW, the stock system is only about 23lbs. and most aftermarket system will range anywhere from about 17 to 30+ lbs. depending on what you get.

• Member Contributer

A local kid squid thought completely removing the mid-pipe/muffler section from his cbr600rr was really cool. Image how long the flame throw from the header is at 14,000 rpm........ dumping out just an inch right in front of the rear tire. :warranty:

Tom wants to install some sort of bypass valve so he can run his bike quiet around town, but when he's out in places where there's no people or people who just don't care he can open her up.

There is No such place like that around here!

Because I ride the same 400 mile loop almost weekly I am extra concerned with the impact I'm making as I traverse my route, if it's consistently a negative one I can expect a LEO to be waiting for me next time and that is something I do my best to avoid. :warranty:

If I'm not mistaken 80 db is the legal factory limit and why few if any aftermarket exhaust are legal for street use. Now a nicely tuned exhaust at 100 db sounds pretty damn nice and might not piss off to many people, but a 120-130 db of straight piped or open exhaust will piss off everyone within miles except the fool riding it. :angry:

My point is that a reasonably sounding exhaust adds a lot to the great sound of our bikes, why take it to a level that will piss off 99% of anyone who hears it. Just be reasonable please! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

When my car was supercharged and it made a good amount of noise, one thing that I noticed was that every time I drove throught the woods at night and there was any animals they would get scared of the noise and run away. So if a loud exhaust on my bike will prevent me from hitting a deer I'm doing it no matter what you say. I used to have a honda shadow and there was a guy on the shadow fourms that got three deer with his bike. He refered to it like hunting. The last deer got scooped up on the handle bars was kicking so hard that it injured the his legs very bad.

When my car was supercharged and it made a good amount of noise, one thing that I noticed was that every time I drove throught the woods at night and there was any animals they would get scared of the noise and run away. So if a loud exhaust on my bike will prevent me from hitting a deer I'm doing it no matter what you say. I used to have a honda shadow and there was a guy on the shadow fourms that got three deer with his bike. He refered to it like hunting. The last deer got scooped up on the handle bars was kicking so hard that it injured the his legs very bad.

Clearly you just started this thread to get under some peoples' skin being that everytime you post there is a "new reason" not mentioned previously to degrade your VFR into sounding as close to a glass packed, riced out Neon with glue on hood scoops and euros as possible. Are you honestly thinking someone will agree with you on the thought of deer being scared away at night in the woods?? :comp13: They have these things that are called Deer whistlers that stick on to your vehicle/bike and are not only pretty damn cheap, but hardly noticeable when placed right -- let's scratch that "logical reason" off the list. :dry:

Since you are clearly going to go ahead with your modification, I can only hope that after your give both yourself and the great bike known as a VFR a horrible Rep. in your part of town, you might wise up a bit and realize 1) people are NOT going to hear your bike and wish they had exhaust like yours --- but merely look at you the same way they do the jackass revving up his mustang with flo masters in the wal mart parking lot, and 2) you are making an extremely negative impact on our sport that already has PLENTY of people that hate it because of the squids stunting on streets and blowing by them at a buck 50 in the hammer lane on the interstate.

My recommendation of making a sharp bike even sharper by adding High Quality aftermarket cans still stands if you are dead set on a louder, better sounding bike.

Deer are funny, if they are in a noisey area, they normally dont even move because they are accustomed to the noise, if they are in a quiet area, noise will get them moving.

That may be away from your direction or in your direction, but it does get them moving.

• Member Contributer

Tom K.

If you really want to be noticed you should get a set of headlight modulators. Believe me you will get noticed by just about EVERYONE and they are completely legal. I actually had a cop stop me to ask if I had anything wrong since he thought I was trying to get his attention, but he didn't pull me over or reprimand me or anything. Just went on his way. Pretty cool.

:comp13:

• Member Contributer
Even Lexus has an L-tuned exhausts

I put some glass packs on my GS with very favorable results and favorable comments from passengers.

Sounds much like this clip.

All in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer my Lexus to be the way God intended it - QUIET.

Staintunes do sound mighty fine on a viffer.

• Member Contributer
Tom K.

If you really want to be noticed you should get a set of headlight modulators. Believe me you will get noticed by just about EVERYONE and they are completely legal. I actually had a cop stop me to ask if I had anything wrong since he thought I was trying to get his attention, but he didn't pull me over or reprimand me or anything. Just went on his way. Pretty cool.

:comp13:

Those headlight modulators are neat but I'm not sure if the technology un-inclined people pay attention to those things.

BTW ...I don't know what is with some of the people on this board but to most people the VFR looks like another crotch rocket. Just ask anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I do like an exhuast that has a decent roar to it, and I've had some dislikes about my exhaust from people on the board. But open pipes? Come on. That's going a little too far even for me. Even though you might think it will sound awesome (I thought so too), it won't. It may sound cool in the garage revved up, but under load it's crap. The only reason I know is because my pipe fell off the other day and I had to drive home without an exhuast on. I thought that it may be kinda cool sounding, but it just sounded like crap. It was just annoying and I felt more embarrased than anything riding it that way because I felt like a :fing02: Please don't be one of those guys. Just my 2 cents.

Also, the notion that NA engines need exhaust backpressure to make power is a myth.

Toro:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I run Staintunes on both my VFR and my KTM Duke II. I normally run the baffles in the 'Tunes on my Duke because it is offensively loud without them. I had the opportunity to run the Duke on a dyno about a year ago. I made my first run with the end baffles in place. Good run, 53 hp. I took the baffles out, noise went up obnoxiously loud, and I lost 5 hp. Needless to say, I put them back in.

I have 'Tunes without baffles on my 6th Gen VFR also (and '99 headers). The sound is absolutely fantastic! However, I want to dyno it with and without the baffles to see what the HP difference is (if any). Be an interesting experiment.

Pete

My solution came from a QTP (Quick Time Performance) Cutout with electric cap.

He beat me to it.. :fing02:

Brothers 2000 SS camaro also has a QTP cutout and he is very happy with it..

huge cam and open headers sound great.. and you come upon a cop or are pullin into the house late, close it and it is quiet- somewhat :fing02:

Archived