Exhaust Bypass

xTomKx

• Member Contributer

Should I even comment? I mean... nothing could touch the note of my 02. Love it or hate it.... nothing came close. I did love it... VTEC engaged under load downtown between the highrises... now that was sweet!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, the notion that NA engines need exhaust backpressure to make power is a myth.

Toro:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I run Staintunes on both my VFR and my KTM Duke II. I normally run the baffles in the 'Tunes on my Duke because it is offensively loud without them. I had the opportunity to run the Duke on a dyno about a year ago. I made my first run with the end baffles in place. Good run, 53 hp. I took the baffles out, noise went up obnoxiously loud, and I lost 5 hp. Needless to say, I put them back in.

I have 'Tunes without baffles on my 6th Gen VFR also (and '99 headers). The sound is absolutely fantastic! However, I want to dyno it with and without the baffles to see what the HP difference is (if any). Be an interesting experiment.

Pete

I think what Toro is saying is that if in fact the engine was tuned properly to the full open exhaust that in fact it would make more peak power. My guess is that your Duke was running too lean to make better HP on that Dyno run, if you have both dyno runs they usually show A/F ratio graphs too. take a look.

I still hate obnoxiously loud exhaust and all around this country Race Tracks are being closed because of noise levels as people move close to them and it matters not to Johnny Public who was there first! :rolleyes:

" trying to disturb the neighbours" shows the intentions of the threads starter. :dry:

Also, the notion that NA engines need exhaust backpressure to make power is a myth.

I took the baffles out, noise went up obnoxiously loud, and I lost 5 hp. Needless to say, I put them back in.

Unless you were incredibly rich (mixture wise) before you pulled the plug, opening the exhaust just caused the bike to go lean and most likely took your 5 ponies with it. Pull the plug, jet or calibrate appropriately, and try it again. I would bet on a HP pick-up.

• Member Contributer

Man I must be a good boyscout......

My MG LeMans had a lovely set of original Lafranconis, but when I would leave at 07.00 on a sunday morning for a long ride through the Highlands, I would push it from the 18th century courtyard where it was parked to the main road to stop the window panes rattling.... tongue.gif

Is my Akrapovic louder than stock? Shoot.... ANYTHING is louder than stock....

But ride with open pipes is what we call crank callers to 911....

"IWA"

Ik

Wil

Aandacht

or in english

I

Want

Attention

• Member Contributer

I agree. The more fuel flow (gas&air) you can get through the engine the more power will be made. Exhaust is a flow restrictor. That's why racecars run open headers.

If air flow is increased the gasoline injection must be increased too.

The only downside of an open exahust is that the powerband moves up ... and the bitc..y neighbours smile.gif-

Archived