Installation Of Leo Vince Carbon On A 6th Gen

Faceplant

• Member Contributer

Finally I got some decent sound and improved looks on my bike!

I decided to go for a Leo Vince Carbon EVO II slip-on system and fitted them some time ago.

They really give the bike a whole new attitude! Since installation I have been seeing a lot of head turn on people

on the street. The excellent sound of the V4 is enhanced and it feels like a cooler bike.

Anyway here are some pics and comments from my installation:

This is what my bike looked like before the installation:

1_Before_right.jpg

1. I removed the saddle and the passenger grabs:

IMG_0089.jpg

2. Probably it wasn't necessary to remove the rear fairing, but I thought it would be easier if I did, so I unscrewed the fairing bolts and disconnected

licence plate light, rear/brake light and turn signal lights:

IMG_0095.jpg

3. Next step was to remove the fender together with the license plate. I removed the 4 bolts from top of the seat and the 2 bolts from under the seat:

IMG_0096.jpg

4. I realized that I had to remove the right passenger peg assembly in order to get the old mufflers and pipes off the bike.

I have the ABS version of the bike and the spring preload adjustment knob would get in the way. On non-ABS version this step might not be neccesary.

IMG_0098_2.jpg

5. Then the really interesting part began. I loosened the clamp bolts that hold the header pipe onto the cat.

Then I removed the bolts holding the mufflers. I was careful not to drop the muffler as that would have caused to much strain on the pipe connecting the cat.

Now I started wiggling the header pipe to get it off the cat. This was actually harder than I expected and it took me a good 4-5 minutes to get it loose.

But, eventually it came off:

IMG_0099.jpg

6. I put the new header pipe onto the cat and fitted the clamp loosely:

IMG_0142.jpg

7. The next steps was to connect all the rest of the supplied pipes until I got to the mufflers. I also connected the pipes with the supplied springs while fitting the pipes.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

8. I fitted the mufflers but did not secure them with the supplied springs. I figured this would facilitate getting the the angles of the mufflers right.

IMG_0102.jpg

9. I put the very nice supplied carbon protector on the header pipe

IMG_0143.jpg

10. Now I turned the mufflers in the angle I wanted them and started fastening the bolts attaching them to the subframe. In order to keep the angles

right while fastening I had to put one hand on the muffler and fastening with the other. Needless to say, I could have had use for an extra set of hands.

The bolts that secure the mufflers got a little dust of Loc-Tite, just in case:

IMG_0154.jpg

11. I put everything back toghether again, fastening all bolts and fitting the rest of the springs. It was looking really nice and I was beginning to

prepare myself for a beer after a job well done:

IMG_0162.jpg

12. I took the bike for a short spin just to listen to the beautiful noise and to check that everything seemed to be in order. And just when I though I was finished I saw the major setback of the day!

My new pipes had put a lot of pressure on my "Rivcyko hugger" and the hugger had been pushed down, leaving a mark of plastic along the edge of the tire. :biggrin:

I loosened the hugger a bit and tried to see if there was anyway of avoid it touching the pipe, but I had no luck.

There was only one thing left to do. I had to cut the hugger! sad.gif

IMG_0141.jpg

(Sorry Trav. but I did not see any way around this and this is the damage I had to do to it!)

13. To make this happen I had to remove the tire and remove the hugger and start cutting away.

The end result was not too bad and if you don't know that the hugger has been abused you would probably not notice:

IMG_0168.jpg

Besides the hugger problem, the installation was a real simple operation and IMO the looks of my bike just went through the roof!

And the sound is just awesome! Even with the spuds still in I think it is a really cool and head-turning sound!

Here are some final pics to show what it looks like when not in the dark garage.

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Thank you for reading!

/Faceplant

• Member Contributer
CRAP!

Yup! Couldn't be more right, sir!

It really hurt having to do that cutting!

Nice write up and pics!! :cool:

As for future reference to others doing installation, removing rear fender is not necessary as I did not remove mine when installing my Leo Vince and had no problems however if you prefer a whole lot of room to work then it won't hurt anything to go ahead and remove if you don't mind extra time.

Non-ABS Right side passenger pegs will need to be removed -- not for stock pipe removal but Leo Vince midpipe bracket mounts to back side of pegs.

Faceplant I don't know if you loctited the carbon heat shield plate screws but it is definitely a good idea since I have heard a few members on here having those loose and even lose some after a while of riding. Definitely a good idea to blue loctite those heat shield bolts.

As for last, I notice you still have the baffles in and although it still sounds good w/them in, I would encourage you to go for a ride with them out and you will probably come big with the biggest grin ever on your face just as I did myself. :biggrin: :laugh:

Thanks for the write up!

Nice work, and they look great! :biggrin:

This is the one of the aftermarket sets I'm thinking about buying myself, so I have a few questions:

1. How hot do the sides of the cans get? I bungee stuff to my rear seat all the time, so the OEM cans' heat shields are essential to me. I've heard CF doesn't get that hot but worry about melting bungee cords on them.

2. I don't see the LV badges on your pipes. Do the badges come unmounted on the pipes, or did you remove them?

3. Where did you get your set and (if I may ask) how much were they?

And one more question for anyone who has these pipes:

4. Do these work with the OEM hard bag brackets? I haven't mounted my bags yet, but exhaust cans' fitment with those brackets will be a determining factor into which (if any) aftermarket exhaust I buy.

Thanks in advance for the answers! wink.gif

• Member Contributer
Faceplant I don't know if you loctited the carbon heat shield plate screws but it is definitely a good idea since I have heard a few members on here having those loose and even lose some after a while of riding. Definitely a good idea to blue loctite those heat shield bolts.

As for last, I notice you still have the baffles in and although it still sounds good w/them in, I would encourage you to go for a ride with them out and you will probably come big with the biggest grin ever on your face just as I did myself. :fing02: :laugh:

I did not loctite the carbon heat shield, but I will now after your recommendation. Thanks!

Well, I was actually planning of riding with the spuds for a while, just to get accutsomed to the pipes,

and then in a couple of weeks remove them and feel the difference!

And, thanks for the comments!

Nice work, and they look great! :fing02:

This is the one of the aftermarket sets I'm thinking about buying myself, so I have a few questions:

1. How hot do the sides of the cans get? I bungee stuff to my rear seat all the time, so the OEM cans' heat shields are essential to me. I've heard CF doesn't get that hot but worry about melting bungee cords on them.

2. I don't see the LV badges on your pipes. Do the badges come unmounted on the pipes, or did you remove them?

4. Do these work with the OEM hard bag brackets? I haven't mounted my bags yet, but exhaust cans' fitment with those brackets will be a determining factor into which (if any) aftermarket exhaust I buy.

1) I don't notice the aluminum cans getting too hot. I have accidentally touched them right after getting off the bike and didn't burn myself, but that doesn't mean it won't melt a bungee over time. Maybe try attaching the bungee to the grab handles. When I have to secure something, that is what I usually use.

2) The badges are just decals that you can opt not to install. Personally I like the look.

3) I bought mine off the classifieds in the forum. Watch ebay for a set, or I've heard these guys are great to deal with:

http://morepoweracing.com/jt55x64046931/Mo...81-33568-33761/

I paid $450 for mine

4) These work fine with the OEM luggage

• Member Contributer
Nice work, and they look great! :fing02:

Thanks for the comments!

Regarding your questions:

1. The cans themselves get hot, but I can still hold a hand on them after driving. It is not exactly comfy though. The pipes however are hotter, especially towards the cat. They would most certainly melt any bungees in minutes, I guess...

2. No, the mufflers came with the LV badges unmounted. I decided not to put them on since I think it looks cleaner without them.

3. I bought them locally in Sweden for about $900-1000, which is about the same price that I would have to pay when importing them from overseas, due to shipping and customs. I did look at importing them from morepowerracing, but found them locally.

4. Yes, the Leo Vince slip-ons will work with the OEM bags. I haven't actually tried it yet, since my OEM bags brackets were off when I fitted the pipes. But there are several statements about this around VFRD and I have just taken it for granted that it works.

So, I'd say go for it!

/Faceplant

edit: damn! toddulu beat me to answering!

• 2 weeks later...
That looks really classy and sharp.... nice.

Thanks!

My 'new to me' 2004 VFR is getting this treatment...I'm ordering the LV aluminum cans and PC3 today, and will swing by Radio Shack to pick up a pack of 330ohm resistors to bypass the O2 sensors.

My first impressions after riding the bike a couple of times are, "she needs to growl" and "she's a bit snatchy with the throttle"....hopefully this upgrade will address this and give me a modest performance gain. I'll accept decreased fuel economy, but I'm sure that can be mitigated a bit with a light throttle hand from time to time.

I don't see any issues with luggage, either...it appears that the new 'quick lock' system for Givi PLX35 bags from SW-MOTECH is compatible. I'm gonna check it out after I fill the bank account again... :biggrin:

Just a shout out/thumbs-up to the guys at Morepower...

"Ron" calls me today and asks if I want them to map my PC3 prior to shipping, or I can very easily do it myself. I took the option of doing it myself, since it sounds easy enough. That's good customer service.

Picked up my resistors at Radio Shack yesterday....5-pk for $.99

• 2 weeks later...
Just a shout out/thumbs-up to the guys at Morepower...

"Ron" calls me today and asks if I want them to map my PC3 prior to shipping, or I can very easily do it myself. I took the option of doing it myself, since it sounds easy enough. That's good customer service.

Picked up my resistors at Radio Shack yesterday....5-pk for $.99

I got my cans installed last night. Took about an hour, it was a piece of cake and the fit is perfect. Nice snug tolerances on the pipe fittings, and the sound is really nice. Haven't pulled the baffles out yet, but can imagine it'd be quite a bit louder.

My only question is that there was a ~2" steel disk with holes in it that was floating around the box, and no reference to it on the parts list & install diagram (granted, the LV 'instructions' are pretty lame). I never figured out where this part would go, and didn't use it. Doesn't seem to matter at this point.

I'll ride the bike with the new cans for a while just to get used to it, and then hopefully notice a little performance gain after I do the PC3 install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a little update:

When I installed my LV Carbon cans I left the baffles in. I thought I'd see how they sounded with

the baffles still in and I have felt that the sound was enough. So far.

Yesterday I removed them just to see if there was a big difference...

Holy crap! Whoah! :fing02:

The bike absolutely roars and I could not have guessed that it would be that much

of a difference! It sounds almost like a GP-style bike! It also makes even more of a bubbling sound

when shifting down and using the motorbrake!

As I took a drive I noticed that it was a real head-turner too. People stared as I cruised by in the city

and on the highway I saw more than one cage driver dropping their jaw as I passed them! tongue.gif

It feels almost as a completely different bike, at least soundwise.

I sure like it and the baffles stays out from now on! :fing02:

BTW, I understand that a lot of people out there had trouble removing the baffles.

I was expecting it to be a real pain in the ass, but I had no trouble at all. Once the screw was out I

just pulled them straight out. And with no effort at all!

Maybe LV have made them easier to remove on newer ones...

Just a little update:

When I installed my LV Carbon cans I left the baffles in. I thought I'd see how they sounded with

the baffles still in and I have felt that the sound was enough. So far.

Yesterday I removed them just to see if there was a big difference...

Holy crap! Whoah! :fing02:

The bike absolutely roars and I could not have guessed that it would be that much

of a difference! It sounds almost like a GP-style bike! It also makes even more of a bubbling sound

when shifting down and using the motorbrake!

As I took a drive I noticed that it was a real head-turner too. People stared as I cruised by in the city

and on the highway I saw more than one cage driver dropping their jaw as I passed them! tongue.gif

It feels almost as a completely different bike, at least soundwise.

I sure like it and the baffles stays out from now on! :fing02:

BTW, I understand that a lot of people out there had trouble removing the baffles.

I was expecting it to be a real pain in the ass, but I had no trouble at all. Once the screw was out I

just pulled them straight out. And with no effort at all!

Maybe LV have made them easier to remove on newer ones...

Hi there from Australia,

I have just fitted a set of LVs to my 08 VFR, and found them to be very quiet with the baffles in, and quite loud with them out, as you just stated, so I struck a compromise and cut off about 30mm from the baffle tube on the inside of the muffler, as a starting point, and will try them tomorrow. they seem a bit louder when I started it in the shed

Another guy here has done the same, and reckons he has his sounding "nice".

Another question re the install, mine were supplied with 4 aluminium spacers (2 per side) which are to replace the OEM rubber bushes where the brackets attach to the sub-frame, but I did not use them, mainly because I couldnt see the point, and also the rubber bushes are difficult to remove without stuffing them.

I noticed in your pictorial desription above that you didnt seem to use them either.

Any comments on this?

They may make for a more rigid installation, as the rubber bushes tend to allow a bit of movement in the muffler bodies.

Paul

• Member Contributer

Yet another reminder to loctite (blue) the heat shield screws. I've had my set nearly two years and recently lost the bottom screw.

Next to the Sato's that came on my 51, these are nicest pipes I've ever had. I STILL haven't removed the baffles but I don't have a catcon on my 4gen so they probably are in the middle of dB levels compared to 6gen with baffles and cat vs 6gen and no baffles with cat. Hope that makes sense.

• Member Contributer
Yet another reminder to loctite (blue) the heat shield screws. I've had my set nearly two years and recently lost the bottom screw.

Next to the Sato's that came on my 51, these are nicest pipes I've ever had. I STILL haven't removed the baffles but I don't have a catcon on my 4gen so they probably are in the middle of dB levels compared to 6gen with baffles and cat vs 6gen and no baffles with cat. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, the 4gen would probably sound louder since it's catcon-less!

I have now blue loc-tited the heat shield screws thanks to your warnings!

• 9 months later...

anyone got a picture of the leo's on a bike with the factory hardbags installed? I would really like to see that for referance of how far the tips stick out the back.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the Leo Vinces on my 2003 VFR. The sound with baffles in is a little bit dissapointing, so I took them out (which is very easy, no force is used, just unscrew and pull out). The sound is great now without the baffles.

Problem is that I can't get rid of a little friction on both mufflers. I just can't manage to get them aligned satisfactory and get them fasten enough. Anyone with the same problem??

Regards,

Marcel

The Netherlands

• 4 weeks later...

Guys - trying to find out if I can add Leo Vince's to my 09 VFR and still use the standard honda luggage system. Am concerned about both fitting and heat. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Guys - trying to find out if I can add Leo Vince's to my 09 VFR and still use the standard honda luggage system. Am concerned about both fitting and heat. Any ideas?

I had the side-cases (Honda standard) on after the installation of the LV, no problem. But I removed them later because I hardly used them and the bike looks better without them.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Ive had the LV Carbons fitted for nearly a year now on my 08 Viffer. Baffles out is so V2 ducati and more, its an awesome addition!!!!!!!!! The sound improves as the engine temp rises, but you can always touch them as the carbon stays heaps cooler. Turn your ride into a buzz and CHUCK the OEM,s

----------WORTH EVERY DIME!!!!!!!!!!! BIG TIP.... YOU CAN TRANSFORM THE APPEARANCE---CHROME THE ENDS WITH A GOOD METAL POLISH & ELBOW GREASE

• 2 weeks later...

Archived