Mineral Vs Synthetic

choco

Ok, I searched this site and found very little on the subject of oil.

My question is can anybody provide any experience with synthetic oil in a Sixth gen VFR. I've got 37,000 on my 2004 using Honda mineral oil with no complaints. I'm wondering what is to be gained by switching to blended or full synthetic. I know what the claims are, cooler running, better shifting, better protection, but are they real?

Anyone have any experience, let's hear it, please.

• Member Contributer

My question is can anybody provide any experience with synthetic oil in a Sixth gen VFR. I've got 37,000 on my 2004 using Honda mineral oil with no complaints. I'm wondering what is to be gained by switching to blended or full synthetic. I know what the claims are, cooler running, better shifting, better protection, but are they real?

There is probably about 50 different oil threads, but here is the official one, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...l=official++oil

If you want to do your part to help aleviate the oil supply problem in this country, then you should be running synthetic, which if everyone ran synthetic, there would be millions of gallons of oil saved. Changing your oil in your car every 3k miles like has been done for years is a huge waste. When synthetic came our years ago, they suggested you could run it for 20k miles in your car, although most people regularly run it for 10k miles...doing just that would save you(5qts per oil change) 10 qts of oil to get rid of and your time to change it or the cost for someone else to change it.

Mobil 1 was the most used oil, mostly because you can buy it almost anywhere while traveling in the US, (every Wal mart has it). Our former oil testing guru claimed the Mobil 1 V-twin formula showed zero engine wear.

You can read all about this in the above linked thread, but this is just a summary for you.

Since you already have near 40, what do you hope to improve on. I can tell ya 5w40 wieghts will be a 30 weight by 1000 mile on a VFR

The heavy weights are better unless you change oil every 1500 mile

I've seen as much as 2 degree max difference between a 10w40 and a 20w50 , 50 weight holds more heat

I dont recommed 10w40 ,it doesnt hold up well enough IMO degrades quickly. 15w40 or 20w50 are the best weights. The main thing the real syns offer is greater cleaning ability and temp extreme protection, but they all contaminate about the same in their perspective weight.

• Member Contributer

I pay about double for synthetic oil and change it half as often. I run the bike as hard as I want to with complete peace of mind, something I would not have running mineral oil. I've scraped too much sludge out of engines to want it in my VFR. Don't let anyone kid you; dino oil fails much more quickly under load and builds up higher acid levels before a change. Even some of the premier brands of dino oil are crap that readily leave sludge and varnish behind.

For me it's not even a question.

I can't speak about the actual difference in wear between mineral and synthetic, I believe the difference would be marginal, otherwise Honda would have recommended synthetic. Engineers at Honda know what they're doing when it comes to building and servicing high mileage motors. There are numerous tests about viscosity and other factors after use, however someone has yet to tear down an engine and compare the actual results on wear items, I doubt this is even possible since no two engines are run exactly the same way.

Bottom line is, picking a type of oil is a matter of faith, you either believe your engine will run better with synthetic oil or you don't. I have tried many variants, the only observable difference was shifting smoothness, and for that 20W50 (regardless of type) yields better results. As far as engine wear, I'd say buy whatever oil type that makes you feel fuzziest inside.

Regards,

Bruckner

Archived