Im Gonna Kill My Son

Guest Stegen

• Member Contributer

I hope for the child's sake that this loser was just venting steam. Motorcycles, no matter how beloved, can always be replaced or repaired.

If it makes you feel any better, Stegen, I spent $600 on my bike(tires, chain, oil change in forks) in the last two months and then proceeded to total it two days before my most anticipated ride of the year!

All my buds headed out and I was sitting at home like jackass popping Vicoden. I did get a sweet Father's day gift though and my wife and kids were very happy that I was alive!

• Member Contributer

When my son was young, I kinda had the same problem.

He went near the bike, and I told him... stay away from the bike, it will hurt you.

Wasnt long before he tried it again. This time, three smacks on his ass and being told again very sternly, STAY AWAY FROM THE BIKE, IT WILL HURT YOU.

Never happened a third time.

• Member Contributer

I can understand the initial frustration of the situation and perhaps you posted up right after it happened, but also your kid is a three/four-year-old and isn't even in preschool yet I imagine. I hope your post was just a heat-of-the-moment type of thing otherwise you really need to check yourself. Did you even talk to him about how what could've happened to him if the bike fell on him? How badly he could've hurt himself? Did you tell him how much he scared you and that, presumably, because you love him so much how sad it would have made you if anything like that happened to him? Did you leave out the part about making him feel guilty for damaging the bike you are trying to sell? Discipline is in order but for whom? You or your three-year-old son? :angry:

Perhaps mixed in with your anger was a sinking feeling of fear that your son could have been potentially crushed and killed by your motorcycle or at least maimed. Well this may be a rude awakening, but in the end you can place the blame squarely on yourself. Ultimately you are your the parent of a 3 year old child and I don't care if you branded "Don't touch the bike" onto the palm of your son's hand with a hot iron, if he was that motivated and you had even the slightest idea it is still YOUR FAULT that he knocked it over. If a child wants a cookie and knows where to get the cookie and also knows to get the cookie when you're not looking he's going to get the cookie unless he can't find the cookies because you hid them.

You could have done any number of things to prevent it from happening such as move it away from the curb, put it on the center stand on a level surface away from anything that could be used to push off of, move it to a friend's house (see cookie analogy above), put a cover over it with a lock. The least of these things would have been to move it somewhere else out of sight out of mind. He's a three-year-old for God's sake!! :fing02: It doesn't matter how many times you tell him, if he knows better he'll just wait until he knows your not around or looking. It doesn't matter what excuses you come up with or how many times you told him, YOU are the parent and as such you should have prevented this from happening. And just so you know there is no coming back with, "well you guys just don't understand my son. He's, blah blah blah blah..." Bull$hit. Nobody has to know your son to understand the situation. Unless he has some sort of behavioral disorder (Oh! BTW, acting like Hellen Keller does not count as a behavioral disorder), he's operating on very basic premises of human behavior. Consider how getting caught speeding doesn't teach you to slow down, it teaches you not to get caught!! He want's something, dad doesn't want him to have it, so what does he do? He goes to get what he wants when dad doesn't know he's trying to get it and then gets what he wants. Very simple.

I'm not sure what sort of reception you thought this post would garner, but if you were looking for support or agreement with your assessment of the situation and of your son I think you came to the wrong place. I sincerely hope, at the very least for your son's sake, that you were posting in the heat-of-the-moment. Perhaps you should re-post after you have cooled off a bit. :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Yes yes, as the previous post says, reposting would be in order with a cooler head. I'm sure/hope the content will be different.

P.P-M

• Member Contributer
Wow....maybe I'm really out there or the desert heat has gotton to me, but I totally took this poster's comments to be totally:

Tongue-in-cheek

PC police are out tonight! Time to go indoors..... :angry:

I'm sorry, but I would venture to guess that most people are aware that their VFR has a centerstand, which ultimately makes Stegen look dim witted. How many people so far in this post are perplexed about how the bike was knocked over in the first place? How many mentions the use of a center stand? I think everyone is blasting Stegen because nobody thinks it's his son's fault! And it's not!!

I think probably the comment about putting his kid up for adoption had he knocked over the MV put me off the most, cause dude, if you're gonna let your kid within hands-reach of that bike with then you deserved to have the MV knocked over. Plus kids have jam-hands. Oh yeah, the title of the post was a bit provocative (read with stark sarcasm).

If his post was meant to be tongue-and-cheek then he needs to brush up on his satire, in a major way.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my bike, truck, pool chemicals, sharp tools, and anything else that could cause injury to not only toddlers but animals as well, is securely locked in my garage. And every child that visits my house is clearly told that they will be in "time out" if they go anywhere within a '10-foot radius' of the garage door. As much as I would like to share my toys with everyone, CHILDREN UNDER 13 NOT ADMITTED WITHOUT PARENT OR GUARDIAN...

• Member Contributer

I have this crazy feeling that Stegen used this site as a bit of a vent for his loss of a beauty of a machine. Although a total of 22 posts on the forum doesn't validate much, his last phrase of "Freaking Kids" was surely said in a Bill Cosby manner of 'Kids Say the Darndest Things' style of sarcastic humor..

Only because the rest of the forum seems to be showing and telling you Steger how to act in this situation, I will not really give you my opinion. But, I would definitely hope you value the fact that your young 'you' is put nice and safely in bed t'night rather than you spending the night in the hospital wondering what "could have been done" to prevent this from happening.

Good Luck on the sale and /or clean up of the Viffer.. And may this only be a lesson learned of posting with a an attitude and a 3 yr. old in the same sentence...

:angry:

• Member Contributer
I'm sorry, but I would venture to guess that most people are aware that their VFR has a centerstand, which ultimately makes Stegen look dim witted. How many people so far in this post are perplexed about how the bike was knocked over in the first place? How many mentions the use of a center stand? I think everyone is blasting Stegen because nobody thinks it's his son's fault! And it's not!!

I think probably the comment about putting his kid up for adoption had he knocked over the MV put me off the most, cause dude, if you're gonna let your kid within hands-reach of that bike with then you deserved to have the MV knocked over. Plus kids have jam-hands. Oh yeah, the title of the post was a bit provocative (read with stark sarcasm).

If his post was meant to be tongue-and-cheek then he needs to brush up on his satire, in a major way.

#1: He mentioned a curb being the falling point

#2: There is NO way a 3 yr. old could make a bike fall OVER the kick stand

#3: If it was on a center stand, then I still highly doubt the possibility of a 3 yr. old knocking it over even if he is trying to sit on it... Unless:

#4: Sounds like poor angling of the bike to me....

Conclusion: Most roads especially in neighborhoods are built to channel water and fluids to the gutter, or towards the curb. Since Lil' man cannot push over the bike OVER the kick stand, being towards the 'driver' side, the Viffer was parked with the passenger side to the curb (i know I know.. the passenger sits on the back.. hehe). Now the question of side vs. center stand. Judging by a normal 30 lb 3 yr old, the Viffer must have been on side stand with the gradation of the road decreasing the vertical angle from center of the bike. Therefore, a 30 lb. boy trying to get on a 500 lb bike 'could' knock it over....

BUT...

In order for this to happen, it would HAVE to fall over WHILE he is trying to get on or WHILE he is ON the bike... SCARY!!! Are you sure this did not happen via a local trouble-maker? ""Ewwwww.. A bike, guys.. Let's knock it over and run....""

Just my thoughts... If son did it, even more that being glad he is ok, you are VERY lucky he is ok... that is an easy broken leg with hiim on it, and an easy broken 'everything' with him under it...

• Member Contributer

I had a similar episode with my babied 98 VFR. My 8 yr old wanted his bike down from the hook it was hanging from and my front fender seemed like a convienent step for him to use to get it down. Two prominent cracks at the top mounting bolts gave him away. It was a lose it or love him moment. I just smiled and told him to never do that again. I highly recommend this method. Bikes don't have feelings. Glad your boy didn't get hurt. You are probably his hero so that's what you get for trying to sell your vfr.

Wow, what to add that hasn't been said already.....I guess 1st off, where the hell were you or the Mom? A 3 yr old running around outside with no parental supervision?

And a bike (that obviously wasn't on level ground) that you KNOW he loves to climb all over....and yet you were doing, what?

• Forum CEO
Im Gonna Kill My Son

I got this image in my head that there was a twinkie near the kickstand and a trap loop around it tied to the handlebars? Now I know you didn't set up a trap on purpose, but man I dont know how a 4 year old can knock over a VFR on the sidestand unless he is baby Huey? That kid will do the job on his own at this rate! I am sure he wont be touching the bike again after that, thank your lucky stars! No lawn darts laying around or loaded cross bows in your garage are there?

I think I will save you the embarrasment of more of this thread is closed.

Archived