Wheels - How to remove them

• Forum CEO

How to remove the wheels The procedure is well documented in your owners manual page 171.

To remove the Rear tire,

tire03.jpg

place the bike on the center stand, remove the mounting bolts that hold the pipe and swing it out of the way. Then loosen the lug nuts and remove the wheel. Removing the Front Tire

I don't have a front stand anymore so I used a block of wood and a sissor jack, just let the block rest on the header pipes, that is how it is described in the owners manual. Before you lift the bike, Remove the Calipers from the forks first, Left side has 2 hex key bolts, the right has 2 10mm bolts. remove them then loosen the 4 fork pinch bolts at the bottom of the forks. Unscrew the axle bolt, mine was on like a Mutha, It was too tight, but I managed to get it off by getting a pipe for leverage, I almost lifted the bike off the center stand so be carful when loosening that bolt. Once you have that done raise up the front end, then remove the axle, if you have a rod you might have to pound it out, just don't go crazy or damage the treads where the bolt screws in. Remove the wheel. Do not squeeze the brake lever while the caliper is off!

tire21.jpg

tire22.jpg

tire20.jpg

To balance the tire

I used my handy dandy Miguel balance, 2 jack stands and gravity, I spin the wheel several times to find the heavy spot then move the clip on weight to balance it. Came out fine!

tire27.jpg

Brake Disk Clearance

When replacing the wheel and before you tighten down any of the bolts you must check the brake disk for clearance with the brake pads with a feeler gauge (.028") check to see if the gauge slides in easy if not spread the forks apart or together until the proper space is availible for the disks, then tighten down the bolts!

• 6 years later...
  • Forum CEO

How to remove the wheels The procedure is well documented in your owners manual page 171.

To remove the Rear tire,

tire03.jpg

place the bike on the center stand, remove the mounting bolts that hold the pipe and swing it out of the way. Then loosen the lug nuts and remove the wheel. Removing the Front Tire

I don't have a front stand anymore so I used a block of wood and a sissor jack, just let the block rest on the header pipes, that is how it is described in the owners manual. Before you lift the bike, Remove the Calipers from the forks first, Left side has 2 hex key bolts, the right has 2 10mm bolts. remove them then loosen the 4 fork pinch bolts at the bottom of the forks. Unscrew the axle bolt, mine was on like a Mutha, It was too tight, but I managed to get it off by getting a pipe for leverage, I almost lifted the bike off the center stand so be carful when loosening that bolt. Once you have that done raise up the front end, then remove the axle, you can put a screw driver into the holes on the end of the axle and twist it out. Remove the wheel. Do not squeeze the brake lever while the caliper is off!

tire21.jpg

tire22.jpg

tire20.jpg

To balance the tire

I used my handy dandy Miguel balance, 2 jack stands and gravity, I spin the wheel several times to find the heavy spot then move the clip on weight to balance it. Came out fine!

tire27.jpg

Brake Disk Clearance

When replacing the wheel and before you tighten down any of the bolts you must check the brake disk for clearance with the brake pads with a feeler gauge (.028") check to see if the gauge slides in easy if not spread the forks apart or together until the proper space is availible for the disks, then tighten down the bolts!