Uni Foam In Honda Air Filter Frame

Veefer800Canuck

Not sure if Jeff is a member here or not, we have several Jeff(.......) usernames on file, but I remember him from the "Big List".

Anyhow, here be the link with instructions:

http://motorhead.stanford.edu/unifilter.html

Cool. Pictural insturctions are the best. :warranty:

I do wonder though why he removed the metal screen just to reinstall it later. I'd probably just skip that step and leave the metal screen in place.

I may have to do something similar to this soon.

i did the same thing shortly after i got mine and easy mod i got the foam from dennis kirk

I just ordered some from DK too, w/ shipping was $20.xx.

I just got a K&N but it doesn't fit right, so I'm going this route. I think the K&N was meant for a 5th gen, it will be for sale shortly!

I've done this on my last two bikes (and the VFR750 before that already had a Unifilter fitted, saving me the trouble, and the VF500 that I took to a guy who did professional filter conversions). I've got a pictorial somewhere (maybe even on here?) but can't be bothered digging it out.

The stock philter elephant is WAY over-engineered for summat that's disposable, so it's ideal to be re-engineered.

Oh what the heck - here's the VFR ones:

gallery_3710_217_20857.jpg

dirtyfilter.jpg She's a wee bit dirty, Jim!

gallery_3710_217_2600.jpg

innards.jpg Oops.<br />It's fallen apart....

gallery_3710_217_60538.jpg

denuded.jpg Filter cut out. Remaining bits of the element were excised with a knife and sharp chisel. I decided to remove the middle rib, to make installing the new filter easier. I also cut away some of the bits of plastic the rivets holding the screen in place were embedded in. Seems to still be strong enough.

gallery_3710_217_11326.jpg

done.jpg Filter all glued in place.

Here's the VTR pix.

• Member Contributer

Lookin' good! :fing02:

Back in the day, there was a place in the UK that used to sell "K&N" filters for the NC30/35, though in actual fact K&N didn't make one for that bike. This company was apparently using either bulk K&N filter media, or chopping it out of a large car or truck K&N filter and gluing it into used NC30 filter housings. They sold a LOT of these elements, IIRC, but stopped doing so after several years. (Ironically, K&N actually does make filters for the NC29 (CBR400RR), which I refused to believe until I (a) had one in my hands and (b) found it in their app chart.)

Point is, you can do this with Uni foam (which is available in bulk), K&N, BMC, whatever you want. However, if you do thia you probably should then get your bike re-jetted (or re-Power Commandered), because your new element will probably have a different, freer air flow than with the OEM paper element...

Ciao,

Got my foam yesterday, I had already cut the paper out the day before. Sprayed the frame down with degreaser, then epoxied the metal screen back on(it comes off if you trim the plastic runners out). I used Loctite 6 or 8 minute plastic gel epoxy, let it sit overnight with a pile of cut 2x4's on it. Cut the foam to size before I glued the screen back on. I'm planning to use black high-temp gasket silicone today to glue the foam in. :laugh:

• 1 month later...
what kind of glue is used? i wanna do this with my cbr954

I used silicon on the first two bikes I did, but because some people said silicon could wreck O2 sensors, I used hot-melt glue on the VFR800.

• Member Contributer

I've done the same thing concept wise but with a $4 fram from walmart. Just cut out the OEM paper element yet leave the wire screen below and RTV Silcone the fram back in its place. Did this both on the superhawk and my 4th gen. Disclaimer: I'm now running a K&N I got cheap off ebay as my upgraded jetting/pipe combo' called for it.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

During maintenance on my FP I noticed that my more-than-ten-year old UNI filter was falling apart (disintigrating, really). So I took all of the old foam out, deg reased it, etc. and hot-glued in a new piece of UNI foam (much different than what they had used, for some reason). It was fairly easy, compared to doing it with an OEM, I suppose--only took about 30 mins. Hot glue worked very well--I can't imagine messing with epoxy in this application.

Ciao,

• 2 months later...

Nice clean and simple mod! :wheel:

The only thing I would consider is that since the Uni-filter surface area is only approximately half of any pleated filter that it would need to be cleaned more often to maintain the same performance levels! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer
what kind of glue is used? i wanna do this with my cbr954

I used silicon on the first two bikes I did, but because some people said silicon could wreck O2 sensors, I used hot-melt glue on the VFR800.

How hot does hot-melt glue need to melt?

How hot does the air filter get ?

Anyone have a problem using hot-melt glue?

• Member Contributer

Here's the pics to my fram mod using black RTV:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1221830929035753786vLyPlh

This turns the expensive oem filter replacement into a $5 affair plus I don't have to hassle with oiling and cleaning the other kinds.

• Like 1