Ok, I'm Stoopid... Chain Adjustment?

Guest SOTY

From the photo on the bike, it seems that they are saying the 1 1/4" of slack is the space *between* the links when pushed to the max (up and down).

Or are they trying to show measuring from the middle of the chain, which then your shirt will give the same measurement?

I measure from the pin just to keep from over taxing my brain(as long as it's the same top/bottom you'll be right)....

One thing is not to try to push the chain as hard as possible while measuring, just normal pressure....... Of course the 1st time I ever wanted to use a feeler gauge on my car valves it was "how does the thing suppose to feel".....Catch 22....... That's why the pros get the big bucks......... Closest I can think of is how tight should you adjust your watch band so it doesn't move but won't make your hand fall asleep......

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

think my adjuster is siezed or bliming tight...ive used the correct spanner & it wont turn either way....can anyone help...

think my adjuster is siezed or bliming tight...ive used the correct spanner & it wont turn either way....can anyone help...

Have you loosened the nut?

haha yeah pinch nut loose and flat head screwdriver to open the gap..still wont move the adjuster so im guessing the hub needs attention..ill get the hub taken apart and whip some anti seize grease on?

seen some footage on mp4 of the reason the hub maybe tight

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9Qb4Ho4NRuwEAZRRLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1cHNqbjljBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDNfNzY-/SIG=120n79kib/EXP=1367610247/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=k4sCQTwwOuc

• Member Contributer

haha yeah pinch nut loose and flat head screwdriver to open the gap..still wont move the adjuster so im guessing the hub needs attention..ill get the hub taken apart and whip some anti seize grease on?

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9Qb4Ho4NRuwEAZRRLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1cHNqbjljBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDNfNzY-/SIG=120n79kib/EXP=1367610247/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=k4sCQTwwOuc

This is a very useful link. Thank you. I need to replace my rear disk and axle because I cannot separate the disk from the axle. Good to see how it come apart and goes back together. Now just waiting for parts.

There might be some corrosion in there that's keeping it from turning. Try to hit it with some good penetrant/lubricant like "PB Blaster" or "Freeze-Off" (Forget WD40 or even Liquid Wrench , they are wimpy compared to these two other brands) before you put any more force into turning the eccentric.

Beck

95 VFR

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If it hits the rubber piece under the swingarm it is a little too loose. When he tested his in the video, at the end he said "no slapping". You do not want the chain hitting the swingarm. If you cannot make it any tighter, your chain is worn out (stretched beyond spec).

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well.............. I never pay for things I can (still) get for free.............. :goofy:

• 9 months later...

So I stumbled on this thread because I'm doing some checks before I take my bike to the track. This would be my first time at the track.

Anyhow, it looks like my chain has been too TIGHT. I've always cleaned and oiled it, and it doesn't pull on the bike, but it is not giving me 1" slack at the mid points. The sprocket is also just past the wear indicator.

I am wondering that with the sprocket that far back, and the chain that tight, if I can just loosen the sprocket and push it back in to give me that 1 to 1.25 of slack.

Others have said that a chain too tight is bad. Mine doesn't seem to be so bad, but if I loosen it up what could happen as long as it is within spec? I've ridden about 2500 miles on this chain.

• Member Contributer

So I stumbled on this thread because I'm doing some checks before I take my bike to the track. This would be my first time at the track.

Anyhow, it looks like my chain has been too TIGHT. I've always cleaned and oiled it, and it doesn't pull on the bike, but it is not giving me 1" slack at the mid points. The sprocket is also just past the wear indicator.

I am wondering that with the sprocket that far back, and the chain that tight, if I can just loosen the sprocket and push it back in to give me that 1 to 1.25 of slack.

Others have said that a chain too tight is bad. Mine doesn't seem to be so bad, but if I loosen it up what could happen as long as it is within spec? I've ridden about 2500 miles on this chain.

You don't say how tight it is. But in any case it should be set to spec. The chain will thank you!

When the rear of the bike is compressed downwards (as when riding with passenger, accellerating, going over bumps etc), the chain is tensioned. This is caused by the front sprocket is not in the exact pivot point as the rear swing arm.

So if the chain is too tight when standing still it will be even tighter when riding. This can damage the chain, the sprockets and can also cause a bend on the outgoing axle from the gearbox. This is usually a bad thing.

A chain that is too slack is therefore "better" than a chain that is too tight. Within spec is of course preferred.

I would adjust so it is within spec ... especially if youre going on a track day. Have fun! :happy:

• 2 years later...

I'm honestly considering getting this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Chain-Monkey-Tension-Tru-Tension/dp/B015YD9WJW/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EBW1Z5WTDVHX7DCAHF9E

I just put a new chain on and once again I am left guessing because of the hump in the swingarm.  Too loose and it knocks the centerstand, too tight and I'm worried it's....well, hurting my chain.

• Member Contributer

Save your money. If you really feel the need to use something like this, use some ty-raps and create your slack, then adjust the chain tension, then cut the ty-raps. That's all

this thing does.

Archived