Catalytic Converter Removal

Tightwad

Somewhere I saw a picture where someone had a pipe fabricated to do away with the catalytic converter. Can anyone recall where that was? I was thinking with all the 2000+ models that wish they didn't have them, it should be possible to arrange a group fabrication to cut the individual costs....and with all the genius on this site I bet someone here could even make them!

I haven't looked under my bike....does the cat bolt on at both ends, or is the Cat-back all on piece? Pictures there would help as well!

• Member Contributer
Somewhere I saw a picture where someone had a pipe fabricated to do away with the catalytic converter. Can anyone recall where that was? I was thinking with all the 2000+ models that wish they didn't have them, it should be possible to arrange a group fabrication to cut the individual costs....and with all the genius on this site I bet someone here could even make them!

I haven't looked under my bike....does the cat bolt on at both ends, or is the Cat-back all on piece? Pictures there would help as well!

The Cat is connected to the Head Pipes, you would have to cut & weld a new pipe on the replace it. Great Idea, I wish that someone would make one & sell it to us. I would buy it :fing02:

The Cat is connected to the Head Pipes, you would have to cut & weld a new pipe on the replace it. Great Idea, I wish that someone would make one & sell it to us. I would buy it :pissed:

HEY ENGINEER/FABRICATORS!!! :fing02:

Since I'm not, test my theory (bear in mind who it's coming from... :dry: ).

1) cut open bottom of cat; maybe while on bike.

2) remove cats

3) fashion a 'slip joint' type of unit to expand to fit the voids once in place.

4) use proper clamps/sealant to tighten in place.

This way, everything stays aligned, and the stand rest and attachment points remain. :fing02:

There would be no stress on the joint since the upper 'catcover' would remain intact.

I could see this done on a core exchange, or you order the part and DIY.

What do the 'Wrenchers' out there think? :idea3:

Greg

Most of all, the system is STAINLESS, it seems a waste to not make use of it and it would keep the costs down!

• Member Contributer
Perhaps you should consider replacing the OEM Cat instead of removing it entirely?

Take a look at this article. Sure, it's for a car, but I'd imagine the Viffer's Cat works with the same principles in mind:

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0610_...ters/index.html

As a car guy - nice find! That's a good article to read for us Civic owners. However, that won't work for the VFR as the cat is welded into the exhaust system creating one piece.

I know what pictures the OP is talking about, that was a pretty trick setup though, I can't help but wonder if a small Y-collector could fill the gap of the cat and still allow the "B" pipe fitting to hook-up to the rest of the exhaust properly.

I need a TIG, some argon, and a beer - STAT!

• Member Contributer

The miata forum went on forever in regards of ways to increase fuel mileage,the end of the matter was for the driver to lose weight,Not only will you get better mpg you will save money on food.

Mike

Perhaps you should consider replacing the OEM Cat instead of removing it entirely?

Take a look at this article. Sure, it's for a car, but I'd imagine the Viffer's Cat works with the same principles in mind:

As a car guy - nice find! That's a good article to read for us Civic owners. However, that won't work for the VFR as the cat is welded into the exhaust system creating one piece.

I know what pictures the OP is talking about, that was a pretty trick setup though, I can't help but wonder if a small Y-collector could fill the gap of the cat and still allow the "B" pipe fitting to hook-up to the rest of the exhaust properly.

yeah, but just get a blowtorch and take it off and weld a replacement back on. I mean. I can do that in my bathroom! :laugh: J/K

I think those pics were on the "other" VFR site... (if there even is such a thing :laugh:)

The most important(and tricky) part of the job is having the midpipe and cans mounted correctly, along with the header, then tack welding the new section in, to guarantee a good fit. Taking the time & money to make a jig may not be worth the trouble.

Trace gutted his cat and put it back together, I was going to do something similar, as well as add extra plates to improve flow inside the cat box, before I ran across a good deal on a set of 99 headers:

gallery_5444_1301_73961.jpg

Catcon gut Possible filler plate location to improve flow in cat for gutted 2000 - present VFR headers

(Trace's pic, with my proposed plate locations)

• 7 months later...

yeah, but just get a blowtorch and take it off and weld a replacement back on. I mean. I can do that in my bathroom! :biggrin: J/K

yeah, but just get a blowtorch and take it off and weld a replacement back on. I mean. I can do that in my bathroom! :biggrin: J/K

what about the co2 sentor what to do about them

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Running 98-99(here in the USA)VFR800 headers provide two improvements over gutted headers!

1- Much smother flow !

2- Larger tube diameter 45mm vs 43mm.!

BR

Any idea how much HP gain? Better mileage? Other benefit?

Running 98-99(here in the USA)VFR800 headers provide two improvements over gutted headers!

1- Much smother flow !

BR

To gain the most from the mod a PC3 or better and correct map would be best. Most of my experience is with using them on Vtec's and not 5th gens. On vtec's everyone has reported stronger pull from low to hi and the best dyno numbers for a vtec was a gain of 10hp, but 5hp is much more common.

Should provide better feel, power(torque/hp) and improved MPG.

My personal experience is limited only to my track vtec and it feels Great!

BR

1- Much smother flow !

BR

To gain the most from the mod a PC3 or better and correct map would be best. Most of my experience is with using them on Vtec's and not 5th gens. On vtec's everyone has reported stronger pull from low to hi and the best dyno numbers for a vtec was a gain of 10hp, but 5hp is much more common.

Should provide better feel, power(torque/hp) and improved MPG.

My personal experience is limited only to my track vtec and it feels Great!

BR

yes to all, but mpg. mpg was worse as you had to run richer on the map. i was getting 32-35 mpg.

Archived